• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the UK edition of X Men 1...
1 1

11 posts in this topic

The US version is more valuable, though the UK version is rarer. 

I feel like (and it could be just my perception) the gap between the two has closed a bit over the last few years.  I've seen some pence covers fetch surprising results. So having a UK version isn't a bad thing

On 7/22/2021 at 12:44 AM, KCOComics said:

The US version is more valuable, though the UK version is rarer. 

True. Have a look at the census.

https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=X-Men&issue=1&publisher=Marvel+Comics&year=1963&issuedate=9/63

A quick calculation puts the UKPPV at a mere 0.59% of the US copy. I know that the CGC census is not a true reflection of the scarcity of the UKPPVs, for a number of reasons, but it is an indication of the condition of the books out there. Only one unrestored book higher than 7.5. If you've got a particularly nice copy it could be worth more than an equivalent cents copy. The higher grade books of many Silver & Bronze Age UKPPV keys are starting to creep up.

On 7/21/2021 at 4:16 PM, Mdrguy101 said:

Is the UK edition of X Men 1 considered more or less valuable than an identically graded copy of the American version?

Show us a picture. :popcorn:

UK sellers will often try to make out the UK priced copies are somehow more desirable due to their relative scarcity compared to the overall print run, but I would imagine most collectors, UK and stateside, would prize a cents copy above a pence variant. UK collectors accept their pence copies as acceptable variants of "the real thing" while the cents copy would be universally preferred as everyone recognises it as the original item, the real deal. I don't know of any market where the pence versions are rated or prized more highly. (Certainly individual collectors will have their own pursuits.) eBay certainly brings out the worst in some UK sellers with their "UK copies rarity" sales pitch. 

Actually, the earliest versions of the Silver Age Marvel UK variants AF 15, Early ASM, FF, Hulk, etc. are TRUE price variants.  Everything is the same except for the price. Even the same ads.  The reason for this was that the print runs were done at the same time, on the same Marvel presses here in the US. It was a US printed comic that was sold with a different price for UK sale. I think that is the reason for the prices heating up on these.  People are staring to realize the UK editions are TRUE price variants and are a bargain especially when you consider the rarity. They are truly a US made comic printed by Marvel.

I believe in the future the price of these true price variants will exceed the cents editions.  People today are collecting rare price variants from the bronze age 30 and 35 cent editions. The early silver UK editions are different from later bronze pence editions that have different ads and sometimes covers(not to mention being printed later than US versions).  

They are all over the place when the timeline progress. Sinister Comics is one. With the first Iron Man in the UK. Different cover. The 1st Wolverine appearances are others. Different titles, covers, and contents. Not all later UK editions follow the same rules. I never said that they did.  What I do say is that the very early Marvel UK editions WERE printed at the same time at Marvel. See your past 10 years Overstreet seller reports for reference. 

I am not arguing anything. Nor do I care. You are the big Winner, if it pleases you. I am just stating that I will take all of the early silver UK editions that I can get because they are the real deal. You can be the Bronze expert all you want. I do not want those.

On 7/27/2021 at 3:13 PM, Bonger said:
On 7/27/2021 at 12:10 PM, JLHOLDINGS said:

I am not arguing anything. Nor do I care. You are the big Winner, if it pleases you. I am just stating that I will take all of the early silver UK editions that I can get because they are the real deal. You can be the Bronze expert all you want. I do not want those.

17 posts since 2003? Sleeper cell activated!

Ya, what happened there?  No one was arguing with him.  And he didn't even answer the question (although a lot of people don't).  

Q: Which one is more valuable, quarters or nickels?

A:  I like nickels more because my favorite number is five, and my favorite president is Jefferson  And the price of nickel has been going up because it it can be used as a replacement for cadmium in Iphones, because cadmium is so tough to get due to the instability of most Central African governments.  I'm just saying i prefer nickels because I can strip them for elements and sell in bulk to Iphone factories in China, and I LOVE APPLE PRODUCTS.

Bingo.  I love early silver Marvel UK editions. No slight to anyone. I see the value in them. For a few bucks less you get a much more scarce issue that variant collectors such as myself see as the same as "the other US printed issues".  There are so many regular US editions that have been graded that I prefer the other true price variant. Maybe I am why the price is going up.  LOL.