• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"The Collector's Handbook" official comic book storage recommendations.
1 1

7 posts in this topic

The 12th edition of "The Collector's Handbook" was provided to me (unsolicited and free of charge) by Heritage Auctions after a recent comic book purchase.

I was quite surprised to see the following official storage recommendations:

1)  Maintain a temperature of 50-65 degrees(F). 

2)  40-60% relative humidity is important.

I wonder if these recommended conditions (at least in temperature) have a bit of flexibility if the books are graded?  I'm guessing not.  I would venture a guess that the majority of us do not keep our houses at 65 degrees or cooler and I also don't actively track the humidity levels in my house.  I've always been most concerned about UV light hitting the books and assumed that if I was comfortable with the temperature/humidity levels in my house, the books would be okay.

Slabs are not airtight, so atmospheric conditions can affect the book. One of the more extreme examples may be slabs stored in certain safes that developed rusty staples.

Monitoring the humidity in your home or comic room is no more difficult than spending $10-$15 on a hygrometer at the hardware store. You can't just go by how it "feels," unless maybe you live in Arizona. And personally, I think a dehumidifier is a modest investment for your comic room if you have anything you'd like to keep in as good shape as possible.

On 7/22/2021 at 5:59 AM, Pontoon said:

Slabs are not airtight, so atmospheric conditions can affect the book. One of the more extreme examples may be slabs stored in certain safes that developed rusty staples.

Monitoring the humidity in your home or comic room is no more difficult than spending $10-$15 on a hygrometer at the hardware store. You can't just go by how it "feels," unless maybe you live in Arizona. And personally, I think a dehumidifier is a modest investment for your comic room if you have anything you'd like to keep in as good shape as possible.

In Arizona we'd need just the opposite! xD (except for monsoon season)

"Besides light, there are additional environmental concerns, such as temperature and humidity, that can adversely affect a collection. For every 18 degree F (10 C) increase in temperature, it is estimated that chemical reactions in paper double. Relative humidity is a measure of the capacity of air to hold water. This amount varies as temperatures increase or decrease. Paper and other porous materials either absorb or lose moisture as temperature and humidity levels vary. This action causes shrinking, stretching, and the eventual breakdown of structural fibers, while contributing to formation of acids. The effect is similar to the cracking, splitting, and weaknesses that result when an outdoor wooden deck is left unprotected, though on a microscopic level."