• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Jim Lee sketch opportunity
1 1

64 posts in this topic

Ok...I would love to have a Jim Lee sketch and now the opportunity has arisen through CGC for $875.  They have an example photo which doesn't look impressive at all.  It will be my first sketch, on a book, from anyone.  when I think of paying $875 for a sketch i want something sweet, not a something that looks like to too 2 minutes to do. Has anyone seen the example CGC has up?  Is it just me or should I expect something more than that example that costs $875.  I'd like to think i would get something a lot more that that.  Is this what I should expect or what?

All commissions are a roll of the dice and you're taking chances no matter who the artist happens to be that's doing the commission. 

I always go into any commission with the mindset that it will sell for less than what I paid and I enjoy it for what it is. If your mindset is to "make money" on it as an investment or as a flip, utilize your money in a safer and more predictable way.

Dice Vegas GIF by The Weeknd

On 7/24/2021 at 3:51 AM, juniorMC said:

Ok...I would love to have a Jim Lee sketch and now the opportunity has arisen through CGC for $875.  They have an example photo which doesn't look impressive at all.  It will be my first sketch, on a book, from anyone.  when I think of paying $875 for a sketch i want something sweet, not a something that looks like to too 2 minutes to do. Has anyone seen the example CGC has up?  Is it just me or should I expect something more than that example that costs $875.  I'd like to think i would get something a lot more that that.  Is this what I should expect or what?

Compared to what his commissions usually cost, and considering how many he's probably going to be expected to do for this, and how seriously he takes his work, I know what I'd expect. 

On 7/23/2021 at 1:51 PM, juniorMC said:

First its limited so it means he will take its time,most likely.second,its a good deal but no colors ...and at his discrétion so you dont have a lot of freedom.if you want a sweet sketch to begin with and be amazed you might check for @FAKadar you wont be disapointed ,look him up in the sketch section thread he is freeking awsome!and cgc aproved!if its for resale value jim lee might be your best shot but like others said its a loterie game the question is will you be Lucky?

On 7/23/2021 at 4:07 PM, Namtak said:

First its limited so it means he will take its time,most likely.second,its a good deal but no colors ...and at his discrétion so you dont have a lot of freedom.if you want a sweet sketch to begin with and be amazed you might check for @FAKadar you wont be disapointed ,look him up in the sketch section thread he is freeking awsome!and cgc aproved!if its for resale value jim lee might be your best shot but like others said its a loterie game the question is will you be Lucky?

Ya I went with remarque sketch, that I believe had to be on a non blank.

Sent x-men 266.

Almost wish I had gone full sketch mode, but I only had one blank at the time...

On 7/23/2021 at 5:26 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ya I went with remarque sketch, that I believe had to be on a non blank.

Sent x-men 266.

Almost wish I had gone full sketch mode, but I only had one blank at the time...

Never toughted about that!you need to have an actual comic to ship!i like the jrjr where the sketch page is actually given in the price of the sketch!

On 7/23/2021 at 4:39 PM, Namtak said:

If you dont have the right blank comics it could be weird like a sketch of batman s jim lee on a my little pony blank cover lol:roflmao:

Yes I had a wolverine back cover available but I couldnt talk myself into it

Still would have looked nice, but 

Would rather have gambit as an  accredited  creator

Honestly , perez might have less time left to draw than most artist healthwise ,or frank miller does not seem to be in great shape so i dont know if i had to choose wich i wont cause i dont have the money but if i had i would definetly go for the private sketch signing of George perez instead of jim lee .but that is me ,diehard fan of jim lee have a golden opportunity with that signing!

On 7/23/2021 at 5:37 PM, Namtak said:

Honestly , perez might have less time left to draw than most artist healthwise ,or frank miller does not seem to be in great shape so i dont know if i had to choose wich i wont cause i dont have the money but if i had i would definetly go for the private sketch signing of George perez instead of jim lee .but that is me ,diehard fan of jim lee have a golden opportunity with that signing!

I loked at both, dont know for sure, but the recent looked plain. Still great people and did great work, I might buy a finished product though, that I can view first idk

On 7/23/2021 at 6:49 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I loked at both, dont know for sure, but the recent looked plain. Still great people and did great work, I might buy a finished product though, that I can view first idk

Funny how it works hein !more expensive than ever and sketch cheaper than ever before 2010s was good times.now too much new commers because of big budget movies and speculators made price go up too much,when you are an artist and do a sketch for free or for a very small amount of $ its a pain to see your art sell big time they feel exploited so now its a different game.i remember oa selling for 10 bucks in the 90s and it was great cover oa!ho feel old for some reason :preach:

On 7/23/2021 at 5:59 PM, Namtak said:

Funny how it works hein !more expensive than ever and sketch cheaper than ever before 2010s was good times.now too much new commers because of big budget movies and speculators made price go up too much,when you are an artist and do a sketch for free or for a very small amount of $ its a pain to see your art sell big time they feel exploited so now its a different game.i remember oa selling for 10 bucks in the 90s and it was great cover oa!ho feel old for some reason :preach:

Ya its really meh

I enjoy that part of the forum, I try to livin it up, but it's not what it was before my time. Maybe that's why I'm not over doing those, there are a few that do, and I appreciate them for it. Before I was in that forum people were more active, but the boards change or artist this and that it's all just. :(

It is what it is

On 7/23/2021 at 6:06 PM, Namtak said:

I read there are people that asked in the 80s to mignola to draw wathever he wanted and did a number of free hellboy prototype,i mean what a prize!

Yes, there were s lot of opportunities before, that there are not now, but cgc, imo or personally, are doing things I'd have no way of doing.

Not that they're the only ones, but not making connections can be a weak spot for me. Still a remarque from Jim Lee I thought I could only dream of...

So there is a flip side lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/23/2021 at 7:04 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ya its really meh

I enjoy that part of the forum, I try to livin it up, but it's not what it was before my time. Maybe that's why I'm not over doing those, there are a few that do, and I appreciate them for it. Before I was in that forum people were more active, but the boards change or artist this and that it's all just. :(

It is what it is

Yup being in Montréal ive been isolated from comicons and such for too long .when i started collecting seriously it was in 2008 at the age of 20 so i caught the last of a time when you had really time to talk with artists for at least 30 minutes easy no rush they had all the time they wanted and werent rushed much there was less than 1k people for the whole cons.:preach:

On 7/23/2021 at 6:11 PM, Namtak said:

Yup being in Montréal ive been isolated from comicons and such for too long .when i started collecting seriously it was in 2008 at the age of 20 so i caught the last of a time when you had really time to talk with artists for at least 30 minutes easy no rush they had all the time they wanted and werent rushed much there was less than 1k people for the whole cons.:preach:

I got a quick sketch from Jim Lee and honestly it was what I expected.  Pretty simple and quick but I'm sure I was the 100th person he did it for that day.  Would I pay $800 for it...no.  But if you're expecting a better sketch than go for his OA.

Hands down the best artist I ever got a sketch from...Gene Ha.  He had a fish bowl where you had to give him candy as payment.  I gave him a Crunch Bar and he let me sit and talk with him for 30 minutes while he did a drawing for me.  After the first 5 minutes I realize he was actually doing a full drawing and told him I was just expecting a sketch and didn't want to take up all his time.  We sat there for 30 minutes both doing a drawing for each other.  Ever since then if I see a book that he worked on during my weekly LCS visit I make sure to pick it up.

***St. Paul/Minneapolis Comic Con

On 7/23/2021 at 7:25 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I got a quick sketch from Jim Lee and honestly it was what I expected.  Pretty simple and quick but I'm sure I was the 100th person he did it for that day.  Would I pay $800 for it...no.  But if you're expecting a better sketch than go for his OA.

Hands down the best artist I ever got a sketch from...Gene Ha.  He had a fish bowl where you had to give him candy as payment.  I gave him a Crunch Bar and he let me sit and talk with him for 30 minutes while he did a drawing for me.  After the first 5 minutes I realize he was actually doing a full drawing and told him I was just expecting a sketch and didn't want to take up all his time.  We sat there for 30 minutes both doing a drawing for each other.  Ever since then if I see a book that he worked on during my weekly LCS visit I make sure to pick it up.

***St. Paul/Minneapolis Comic Con

You met gene colan!wow!and jim lee!why was i born near montreal......:facepalm:

On 7/23/2021 at 1:51 PM, juniorMC said:

Weird mister lee dont do remarks that id have send a comic book for sure!