• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Jim Lee sketch opportunity
1 1

64 posts in this topic

On 7/24/2021 at 2:31 PM, jsilverjanet said:

for the amount you are paying, you're probably better looking for a piece already completed and paying a bit more but getting something you like

I agree, and I really wanted my own thing with what I wanted him to draw, but looking at that sample I dont believe it will look how I think it should look.  Not for 875 though.  I'd like to have something much more detailed.  I'm going to pass on this one.  Thanks for all of your inputs

On 7/24/2021 at 6:19 PM, juniorMC said:

I agree, and I really wanted my own thing with what I wanted him to draw, but looking at that sample I dont believe it will look how I think it should look.  Not for 875 though.  I'd like to have something much more detailed.  I'm going to pass on this one.  I think I'll still send about 7 books for sigs. 

Thanks for all of your inputs

On 7/23/2021 at 3:37 PM, Namtak said:

Honestly , perez might have less time left to draw than most artist healthwise ,or frank miller does not seem to be in great shape so i dont know if i had to choose wich i wont cause i dont have the money but if i had i would definetly go for the private sketch signing of George perez instead of jim lee .but that is me ,diehard fan of jim lee have a golden opportunity with that signing!

If ComicSketchArt is any indication, Frank Miller keeps pounding out OA sketch covers.  It's nothing like his 80s/90s work and looks rushed/sloppy.

i'm a little surprised opportunities are still available given that only 50 spots were available.  Either the price was too steep for many, interest was lower than expected, or CGC didn't properly shut down requests after the 50 mark.

In any case, I'd love a Jim Lee sketch, but the sample piece didn't seem like it was worth the money.  For a little more you can find a published page.

On 7/24/2021 at 3:33 PM, ExNihilo said:

i'm a little surprised opportunities are still available given that only 50 spots were available.  Either the price was too steep for many, interest was lower than expected, or CGC didn't properly shut down requests after the 50 mark.

In any case, I'd love a Jim Lee sketch, but the sample piece didn't seem like it was worth the money.  For a little more you can find a published page.

I think you answered your own question… I think there’s a lot more than 50 people that have the money to spend 875 but most, like you, don’t feel the sample sketches were worth the price tag. If they were detailed sketches it would have sold out very quickly but when I have to really try to see any difference between the Remarque and the sketch example that’s a tough sell for me… and I say that in no way to offend anyone that paid, just that the samples didn’t look worth it for a lot of people I think.

As to the number of sketches Jim would do...CGC had the Clayton Crain sketch op and signing 3 weeks ago.  The sketch op was suppose to be open for the first 10...10 was the cut off.  I'm hearing Crain did 79 sketches for that signing op.  That's how many order went through.  Back to Jim Lee sketch op...I know peeps that sent in books 2 years ago for private sketches at the same prices and are getting them back now.  It is tough to lock Jim down for the sketches so who knows when the next chance will be.

On 7/25/2021 at 10:47 AM, IceHole said:

Here are a few of my Jim Lee sketches.  These will be the same you should expect.  My 2 cents...instead of using a blank sketch cvr, find a penciled sketch cover edition from DC...it'll look just as good as a blank and cost you a whole lot less.  But it seems like you do get more with a blank.  You will not be getting those really cool detailed sketches...those are 2000 and up from my exp.  It'll be a coin toss as to how big or small of a sketch you get.

Batman 1.jpg

BWL 1.jpg

Joker 1.jpg

Robin 1.jpg

Pic 1 beautiful, pic 2 nice, but I'd expect more for 875.  What's the per hour break down, meaning how long does everyone think it takes to do a pic 2 sketch? Is that like 4 to 5k per hour? I cant do it

On 7/25/2021 at 10:56 AM, IceHole said:

As to the number of sketches Jim would do...CGC had the Clayton Crain sketch op and signing 3 weeks ago.  The sketch op was suppose to be open for the first 10...10 was the cut off.  I'm hearing Crain did 79 sketches for that signing op.  That's how many order went through.  Back to Jim Lee sketch op...I know peeps that sent in books 2 years ago for private sketches at the same prices and are getting them back now.  It is tough to lock Jim down for the sketches so who knows when the next chance will be.

I wouldn't care about the 2 years myself, tough lock down or not,  it's the price point and what u get for it that's the issue.  It would b my first, so I really dont know what the prices r.  I have 2 minty blank action 1000s and knew exactly what I wanted on them, but if this is similar for what u will get from all the artists then I'm going to just stick with getting my books signed.  I'll keep my eyes open, but as it looks, I'll b passing if it's like this.

I spoke to Albert Moy (Lee's Rep) over at TorpedoCon yesterday regarding a sketch cover commission. Depending on the sketch request. If it's something specific like a Homage or how the character is posed there's a good chance it will be rejected. Usually the request should be made simple for instance I just asked for a full sketch of Wolverine ($4-5k). But depending on your patience...sketches completed could take up to 2 years. And you'll have to pay upfront. Moy holds the money till Lee is done and receives the sketch. I couldn't do the profile sketch. I've seen too many and they all look the same.     

On 7/25/2021 at 2:24 PM, AlexG_art said:

I spoke to Albert Moy (Lee's Rep) over at TorpedoCon yesterday regarding a sketch cover commission. Depending on the sketch request. If it's something specific like a Homage or how the character is posed there's a good chance it will be rejected. Usually the request should be made simple for instance I just asked for a full sketch of Wolverine ($4-5k). But depending on your patience...sketches completed could take up to 2 years. And you'll have to pay upfront. Moy holds the money till Lee is done and receives the sketch. I couldn't do the profile sketch. I've seen too many and they all look the same.     

Oh yea, I get that.  Who wants a sketch that looks like everyone else's.  So like me you'll also be passing on this opportunity also.  I had hoped it would look something like the batman 50 sketch cover, the one with batman and catwoman, but I see that wont be happening.  So that would be something like the a 2k sketch.  I had thought a sketch was a true sketch and not like a doodle.  There should b a name for each so theres no questions or confusion because one looks completely different from the other and I cant see how they r both called sketches

On 7/25/2021 at 12:15 PM, juniorMC said:

Pic 1 beautiful, pic 2 nice, but I'd expect more for 875.  What's the per hour break down, meaning how long does everyone think it takes to do a pic 2 sketch? Is that like 4 to 5k per hour? I cant do it

Just to be clear...CGC is defining Pic 2 and 4 as a "sketch".  Pic 1 and 3 as a "remarque".  There is a price difference between the 2. 

A "sketch" is done on a blank...the pricing for that is 875. 

The"remarque" is done on a regular comic cover and is 460.

When I first subbed these I was told any blank sketch cover was automatically 800.  Any regular cvr with a sketch request was 400.  Jim Lee had different rules for sketch covers...he wouldn't work on them years ago and would only do remarques on cvrs for 400.  And when he did start working on blank sketch covers he charged double...but would give you a bigger "sketch".  This is just my experience over the last 5 years.  This is still a great op with a quick turn around!  I've gotten a bunch from Jim Lee because I think it was worth it!  And every one of them is worth it to me.  As for price examples...Liefeld charges 400 for remarques.  Clayton Crain just finished his 3 weeks ago and his remarques were 300.  It's what the prices are today.

Gambit 1.jpg

Edited by IceHole

On 7/26/2021 at 9:24 AM, IceHole said:

Just to be clear...CGC is defining Pic 2 and 4 as a "sketch".  Pic 1 and 3 as a "remarque".  There is a price difference between the 2. 

A "sketch" is done an a blank...the pricing for that is 875. 

When I first subbed these I was told any blank sketch cover was automatically 800.  Any regular cvr with a sketch request was 400.  Jim Lee had different rules for sketch covers...he wouldn't work on them years ago and would only do 400 remarques on cvrs for 400.  And when he did start working on blank sketch covers he charged double...but would give you a bigger sketch.  This is just my experience over the last 5 years.  This is still a great op with a quick turn around!  I've gotten a bunch from Jim because I think it was worth it!  And every one of them is worth it to me.  As for price examples...Liefeld charges 400 for remarques.  Clayton Crain just finished his 3 weeks ago and this remarques were 300.  It's what the prices are today.

Gambit 1.jpg

This is what I sent in, an unpressed #266 9.2 to also get it pressed.

I wasn't sure what to write in the notes of what I wanted, other than: "Gambit Hair Face And Collar, and well all of it"

Part of me thinks I put my foot in my mouth lol but I think it will work out :wishluck: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

My 9.2 was already signed once by Jim, in gold, I didn't ask for a certain color of marker with the remarque.

Still I hope it looks as nice as that blue. There is not a lot of room on that cover.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/26/2021 at 10:29 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

This is what I sent in, an unpressed #266 9.2 to also get it pressed.

I wasn't sure what to write in the notes of what I wanted, other than: "Gambit Hair Face And Collar, and we'll all of it"

Part of me thinks I put my foot in my mouth lol but I think it will work out :wishluck: 

I'm sure it'll look cool. 

Gambit 2.jpg

On 7/25/2021 at 2:24 PM, AlexG_art said:

Thanks much for reaching out to his rep to get the low down

On 7/26/2021 at 10:24 AM, IceHole said:

A "sketch" is done on a blank...the pricing for that is 875. 

When I first subbed these I was told any blank sketch cover was automatically 800.  Any regular cvr with a sketch request was 400.  Jim Lee had different rules for sketch covers...he wouldn't work on them years ago and would only do remarques on cvrs for 400.  And when he did start working on blank sketch covers he charged double...but would give you a bigger "sketch".  This is just my experience over the last 5 years.  This is still a great op with a quick turn around!  I've gotten a bunch from Jim Lee because I think it was worth it!  And every one of them is worth it to me.  As for price examples...Liefeld charges 400 for remarques.  Clayton Crain just finished his 3 weeks ago and his remarques were 300.  It's what the prices are today.

Gambit 1.jpg

Pic 2 & 4 sketches,  I got that, but I figured a sketch to be 1 & 3 (minus the remarques), but now my understanding is that is a "detailed" sketch.  didn't realize there was a difference