• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Jim Lee sketch opportunity
1 1

64 posts in this topic

aside from the Lee sketch issue. I noticed something that seems very strange.  They don't offer all combinations for signing.  So if I want Lee & Sinclair (JL59) I have to pay for Williams also.  called CGC and it was suggested that I send a note to not have Williams sign it, but then my question was the price.  I was told the price would be the same and Williams would probably still be paid even though I only got Lee & Sinclair on it.  Not an option for me, so I'm passing on that one.  Only sending 3 instead of 4 now.  At first I was told that when the slots are filled up then they are no longer available.  I kind of chuckled when she said that, so I said yea, but the slot isn't filled, the LEE, WILLIAMS, SINCLAIR slot is still available, I just don't want Williams on it.  She got it then.  

On 7/25/2021 at 9:32 PM, juniorMC said:

There should b a name for each so theres no questions or confusion because one looks completely different from the other and I cant see how they r both called sketches

To me, based on the images provided by CGC, I'd call them remarques.  In my opinion, a remarque is free handed and small.  A sketch should have a rough pencil base and then marker/ink to more clearly define the image.  A remarque is quick, a sketch should take a little longer.  Both images (provided by CGC) look like Jim could produce in less than 5 minutes.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe Jim will spend more time on the sketches than the example provided.  For everyone who submitted, I hope their books come back like the two blank covers shared by @IceHole.

Side comment: I love Jim Lee (he's my favorite comic book artist), but if I'm paying $875, i'd much rather have some OA from Scott Williams.  Here's what Scott does as remarques.  Here's what he does as sketches.  I dunno how much his sketches cost at TorpedoCon, but I have two remarque's from Scott (and coloured by Alex) and they're awesome.

Got a sketch at TorpedoCon from Lee. Was it worth it? Probably not, because he isn’t going to churn out true “Jim Lee” work in the 3-4 minutes he spends on it. However He’s an incredibly nice man, and I watched him do characters he has zero association with when asked, he just got on his phone and pulled up reference pictures and did it. I have no regrets, Jim Lee is the F’n goat and I’ll love this forever when I get it back from CGC in 18 months lol

B744099B-25C8-4EC0-BDD0-20A9837A765F.jpeg

Edited by Dimez

Just to give you an idea for a sketch cover...

Image #1 Remarque $500
Image#2 Profile Sketch $850-$1000
Image#3 Head Sketch $2000-$3000 
Image#4 Bust shot no background $4000  
Image#4 Bust shot with background (wraparound) $8000  

I asked Moy if Lee would recreate Hulk #181 or something similar with both characters....$10K+  (but he also said Lee would unlikely do the request) 

JimLee.jpg

On 7/26/2021 at 9:24 PM, AlexG_art said:

Image #1 Remarque $500

I asked Moy if Lee would recreate Hulk #181 or something similar with both characters....$10K+  (but he also said Lee would unlikely do the request) 

JimLee.jpg

The City of Bane book recently sold for like 4K I believe and was graded at a 9.6. It’s unbelievably gorgeous

On 7/26/2021 at 5:16 PM, ExNihilo said:

To me, based on the images provided by CGC, I'd call them remarques.  In my opinion, a remarque is free handed and small.  A sketch should have a rough pencil base and then marker/ink to more clearly define the image.  A remarque is quick, a sketch should take a little longer.  Both images (provided by CGC) look like Jim could produce in less than 5 minutes.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe Jim will spend more time on the sketches than the example provided.  For everyone who submitted, I hope their books come back like the two blank covers shared by @IceHole.

Side comment: I love Jim Lee (he's my favorite comic book artist), but if I'm paying $875, i'd much rather have some OA from Scott Williams.  Here's what Scott does as remarques.  Here's what he does as sketches.  I dunno how much his sketches cost at TorpedoCon, but I have two remarque's from Scott (and coloured by Alex) and they're awesome.

That's what I'm sayin.  They both look like remarques, one 2 minutes, the other 5.  I said maybe he takes more time, well if he does then the example they used would be wrong.

On 7/26/2021 at 7:59 PM, Dimez said:

Got a sketch at TorpedoCon from Lee. Was it worth it? Probably not, because he isn’t going to churn out true “Jim Lee” work in the 3-4 minutes he spends on it. However He’s an incredibly nice man, and I watched him do characters he has zero association with when asked, he just got on his phone and pulled up reference pictures and did it. I have no regrets, Jim Lee is the F’n goat and I’ll love this forever when I get it back from CGC in 18 months lol

B744099B-25C8-4EC0-BDD0-20A9837A765F.jpeg

Awe man! That looks like the same exact "sketch" cgc used as the example.  Well, I guess if it happy with it.

On 7/27/2021 at 12:24 AM, AlexG_art said:

Image #1 Remarque $500

JimLee.jpg

Ok, now we're talkin.  So 4 is called a bust shot.  After I sell my house I'll get in touch with his rep

On 7/28/2021 at 1:39 AM, juniorMC said:

Ok, now we're talkin.  So 4 is called a bust shot.  After I sell my house I'll get in touch with his rep

Remember, once you contact Moy you get to wait 2 years and if you want it CGC'ed that'll be another 6 months. 

On 7/28/2021 at 10:02 AM, Dr. Dank said:

I wish Moy was able to be called out on his greedy practices, but the sad thing is, people pay

They're getting ripped off, and just don't care, which is unfortunate 

Jim Lee sets his own prices when it comes to his original and commission artwork. 

On 7/28/2021 at 8:04 AM, Funnybooks said:

Jim Lee sets his own prices when it comes to his original and commission artwork. 

Based on what Moy tells him.

Tell me why Jae Lee charges the same as Jim Lee for sketches 

On 7/28/2021 at 1:49 PM, Dr. Dank said:

Based on what Moy tells him.

Tell me why Jae Lee charges the same as Jim Lee for sketches 

I don’t disagree that Albert has input. That’s his job. The market influences what goes into the decision that Jim or Jae along with Albert will ultimately decide to charge for original art. If his art is selling at these prices, I don’t believe we can expect that they would want to charge less? As for Jae, an argument can be made that Jae Lee is as hot an artist at the moment as Jim Lee. He’s been much more prolific with his output and he’s been on huge projects for several years now. I’m not surprised his commission prices are in line with Jim. However, his published pages lag far behind what Jim commands so Albert can only “set” the market to a limited degree. :foryou: 
I do and can understand collector frustration as many have been priced out but it is a free market system.

On 7/28/2021 at 12:12 PM, Funnybooks said:

I don’t disagree that Albert has input. That’s his job. The market influences what goes into the decision that Jim or Jae along with Albert will ultimately decide to charge for original art. If his art is selling at these prices, I don’t believe we can expect that they would want to charge less? As for Jae, an argument can be made that Jae Lee is as hot an artist at the moment as Jim Lee. He’s been much more prolific with his output and he’s been on huge projects for several years now. I’m not surprised his commission prices are in line with Jim. However, his published pages lag far behind what Jim commands so Albert can only “set” the market to a limited degree. :foryou: 
I do and can understand collector frustration as many have been priced out but it is a free market system.

Great statement, which is why I also stated that people pay.

They actually pay

Which sucks, but yeah, nothing we can do about it

On 7/28/2021 at 2:13 PM, Dr. Dank said:

Great statement, which is why I also stated that people pay.

They actually pay

Which sucks, but yeah, nothing we can do about it

Deep pockets. When the asking prices were much lower, they (Jim and Albert) saw sketches being flipped and this ruined it for anyone with more modest means as the prices jumped to prevent the flipping. In the end, it worked because it is much more difficult now to flip a personal commission these days. The secondary market plummets for most commissions unless they become published down the road.

and yes, it does suck.

On 7/28/2021 at 12:23 PM, Funnybooks said:

Deep pockets. When the asking prices were much lower, they (Jim and Albert) saw sketches being flipped and this ruined it for anyone with more modest means as the prices jumped to prevent the flipping. In the end, it worked because it is much more difficult now to flip a personal commission these days. The secondary market plummets for most commissions unless they become published down the road.

and yes, it does suck.

They've also killed the SS market as well IMO

Artists who weren't charging for sigs all the sudden want 30 bucks. I've stopped collecting SS because of it. 

I stick to actors/actresses for SS these days now

On 7/28/2021 at 2:35 PM, Dr. Dank said:

They've also killed the SS market as well IMO

Artists who weren't charging for sigs all the sudden want 30 bucks. I've stopped collecting SS because of it. 

I stick to actors/actresses for SS these days now

It’s been evolving for years. I feel bad for all the true collectors that just want a sig/sketch for their collection. Those days are long gone. I can also appreciate the creators that need to supplement their daytime income by charging for their skills/time when they are not working on a book. Tough to manage on both sides.

On 7/28/2021 at 12:43 PM, Funnybooks said:

It’s been evolving for years. I feel bad for all the true collectors that just want a sig/sketch for their collection. Those days are long gone. I can also appreciate the creators that need to supplement their daytime income by charging for their skills/time when they are not working on a book. Tough to manage on both sides.

You should check out Den Beauvais 

He left the comic game decades ago and the man churns out high quality art like it's nothing. I imagine he wants for nothing. Love his art and it's actually relatively inexpensive compared to what comic artists want for a 11x8