• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Paid $1,200 for a 9.6 in a 9.8 Slab =(
3 3

85 posts in this topic

On 7/29/2021 at 6:50 AM, gregwynn said:

Signs up to bash CGC... I am shocked....

Well to be fair they do kinda deserve it some times... a lot of the times...

Not in this case... but you know what I mean.

In closing, CGC you're off the hook on this one, but there a bunch a weird/dumb things you still do... So do that less.

On 7/29/2021 at 1:52 PM, Asmodean said:

Well to be fair they do kinda deserve it some times... a lot of the times...

Not in this case... but you know what I mean.

In closing, CGC you're off the hook on this one, but there a bunch a weird/dumb things you still do... So do that less.

20210725_004446.jpg.41d8318f179c98aba63734c53ba32b0c.jpg

On 7/23/2021 at 2:28 PM, Drake Dragoon said:

I just paid $1,200 for a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Comic Issue #4 1st Series that was freshly graded as a 9.8 by CGC in 4/21.

But once it arrived, I immediately noticed that it has an obvious spine crease and some piece of cardboard paper floating around inside the sealed slab.

It's basically a $400 comic that's been slabbed as a 9.8. And as a serious collector, I feel like I just got ripped off BIG TIME!

I can't blame the eBay seller since the slab doesn't appear to have been tampered with. But I can't, in good conscience, resell this comic as NM+ 9.8, despite the horribly wrong grade on this slab claiming it's a 9.8.

What can I do about this? Grading a book at a 9.8 in this condition is wrong! Buyers are getting ripped off. (me)

I'm supposed to trust the grading when I see that CGC graded the book. That's why I pay a premium for graded slabs.

If I pay top dollar for a 9.8, it should actually be a 9.8.

And if having a spine crease can still pass as a 9.8. then I have a LOT more un-slabbed 9.8's in my collection than I thought.

CGC Lookup #3741199004

You'll just have to suck it up and eat it (or crack it out and enjoy it for what it really is - a comic book.) :bigsmile:

On 7/31/2021 at 4:26 PM, JollyComics said:

N00bs can complain and can't upload pixs.

Too busy posting them to the wall to come back on here and respond, much less upload pictures. Probably started the same thread over at Voldy.  7TqtbzR.gif.7e5e38c7b58d79c2f5184da75dffc509.gif

On 7/23/2021 at 5:28 PM, Drake Dragoon said:

I just paid $1,200 for a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Comic Issue #4 1st Series that was freshly graded as a 9.8 by CGC in 4/21.

But once it arrived, I immediately noticed that it has an obvious spine crease and some piece of cardboard paper floating around inside the sealed slab.

It's basically a $400 comic that's been slabbed as a 9.8. And as a serious collector, I feel like I just got ripped off BIG TIME!

I can't blame the eBay seller since the slab doesn't appear to have been tampered with. But I can't, in good conscience, resell this comic as NM+ 9.8, despite the horribly wrong grade on this slab claiming it's a 9.8.

What can I do about this? Grading a book at a 9.8 in this condition is wrong! Buyers are getting ripped off. (me)

I'm supposed to trust the grading when I see that CGC graded the book. That's why I pay a premium for graded slabs.

And if having a spine crease can still pass as a 9.8. then I have a LOT more un-slabbed 9.8's in my collection than I thought.

CGC Lookup #3741199004

It's a really sharp looking copy. You did well, IMO.

And sometimes, if a book is between two grades, CGC will go with the higher grade rather than the lower one...  :gossip: 

On 7/23/2021 at 3:28 PM, Drake Dragoon said:

CGC Lookup #3741199004

your book is a 9.8. Learn to enjoy it for a very high grade copy of a book.