• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Paid $1,200 for a 9.6 in a 9.8 Slab =(
3 3

85 posts in this topic

On 2/20/2022 at 6:47 PM, Drake Dragoon said:

You wanna buy this 9.8? :shiftyeyes:

Here are pics of the damage on my comic that started this thread:

tmnt_4_pics.jpg

^^   Yes and no.  Yes for showing the scans to prove about their inconsistency.  No for not taking this book.  Thanks for the scans!

On 2/20/2022 at 10:31 AM, MAR1979 said:

Image 1 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 (1988) CGC 9.8 5th Printing White Pages Fifth

Are you saying all copies have an image of some dude holding a cell phone :)

Yeah it's not a 9.8, 'cept it is.  It does suck!  Mistakes happen when humans are involved in any process.

Could it be cgc grades those TMNT books on a curve?

I had that exact book graded and it came back 9.2. It had serious color breaks on the spine.

I also had a #7 2nd print (purple Krang) graded and it came back 9.8. It had many spine creases but they didnt break color.

Both of those books came back WP and both clearly had yellowing pages. You could see it even while slabbed. So I sold them.

Some of those 9.8 present in this thread agreed are very week and probably not even 9.6'. Yet my almost flawless 4th print only got 9.6. As some here know I'm a very harsh grader. Perhaps too many 9.8's were given out in my submission (39/40). 2 of which I did feel at very best were borderline 9.4/9.6's

BTW anyone have an idea what month this book was first on-sale,  been unable to find any info and too far back in my childhood memories to recall.

TMNT1-4thb.thumb.jpg.bc739225cbd7df9458f7df9d41af1525.jpgTMNT1-4th.thumb.jpg.d67169ff8fcacf40c8de56ed2e7ac84e.jpg

Edited by MAR1979

On 2/20/2022 at 5:35 PM, lostboys said:

Could it be cgc grades those TMNT books on a curve?

I had that exact book graded and it came back 9.2. It had serious color breaks on the spine.

I also had a #7 2nd print (purple Krang) graded and it came back 9.8. It had many spine creases but they didnt break color.

Both of those books came back WP and both clearly had yellowing pages. You could see it even while slabbed. So I sold them.

Well I have 5 more copies of TMNT #1 5th print that I wasn't going to get graded, but maybe I should. I also have a few issue 7 2nd print (Krang covers) and #4 2nd print (Nintendo covers) that I should submit as well! I guess now is better than ever to get a high grade on those. :flipbait:

On 2/20/2022 at 7:28 PM, Drake Dragoon said:

As others have stated in this thread: just because it's CGC 9.8 doesn't actually mean it's a worthy copy, and I should still inspect the comic inside before I buy the slab. I shouldn't have to do that, which is why I pay for comics that have already been professionally graded. But apparently I do.

Why do you feel you shouldn't "have to do that"? I always look at the book regardless of what the slab says. If I saw this book for example, I wouldn't have bought it. Not for 9.8 prices.

OTOH, I have looked at the books that said 7.0 and 7.5 and saw right away they were very under-graded. So, I was able to get them at 7.0-7.5 prices. it works both ways.

I see your point and applaud it. I couldn't - in good faith - try to sell your book as a 9.8 either. Sometimes I wonder if some of these books WERE 9.8's and when they went to the slabbing dungeon they got beat up by someone trying to cram them in a slab.

On 2/20/2022 at 7:34 PM, Randall Ries said:

Sometimes I wonder if some of these books WERE 9.8's and when they went to the slabbing dungeon they got beat up by someone trying to cram them in a slab.

Absolutely! I've seen plenty slabs with a thumb bend/crease on the very edge of the cover where (it seems) they pushed the comic into the holder. I check every single time now for damage - even though I shouldn't have to.

I think CGC is just so backed up that they don't have the time to be careful and slow anymore. AND I bet there's slim pickings for quality graders right now.

On 2/20/2022 at 10:51 PM, Drake Dragoon said:

Absolutely! I've seen plenty slabs with a thumb bend/crease on the very edge of the cover where (it seems) they pushed the comic into the holder. I check every single time now for damage - even though I shouldn't have to.

I think CGC is just so backed up that they don't have the time to be careful and slow anymore. AND I bet there's slim pickings for quality graders right now.

It isn't a graceful set-up, these slabs. So many parts and wells and sleeves and locking corners. So many people who don't even care about other PEOPLE say NOTHING about their valuable property handling artifacts. Cut everything else away and I'm left with one simple fact: I don't send my books in to be graded and slabbed and have them come back FUBAR. Left in a vacuum and take a few steps back, the whole thing is laughable. Eh. Make mine raw in a top loader with some mylar sheets inside. Plenty of raw books sell every day. CGC is not even necessary although they and their acolytes would have us believe we are stuck without them. Not at all. Learn how to spot resto. Learn how to count pages. be a strict grader and you will be ok.

It isn't your problem or mine if they are "backed up" or "too busy". As a small business guy, the clients patience only goes so far. If we can't provide quality, they stop using us. And companies bad mouthing other companies who do the same thing we do is not permitted. It's poor form and the clients see that.

MY responsibility ends when I pay a company to deliver what they said they can. The rest is up to them.

On 2/21/2022 at 6:16 AM, lostboys said:

I think 9.8s that have been pressed are more likely to have a color break on the spine. The press made the book look perfect except for that color break so it gets a 9.8.

9.6s that have been pressed can prob have 2 - 3 color breaks.

It's possible this was pressed and then the press reverted.

My 2c

IMO color breaks should never qualify as 9.8.

On 3/1/2022 at 2:22 AM, Drake Dragoon said:

It's possible this was pressed and then the press reverted.

My 2c

IMO color breaks should never qualify as 9.8.

I agree 100%

9.8s should "look" perfect.

There are a lot of folks here who disagree. Ive lost count of how many times Ive been told that 9.8s are not perfect.

Well, if thats the case...where are all the 9.9s and 10s?

On 3/1/2022 at 9:08 AM, lostboys said:

I agree 100%

9.8s should "look" perfect.

There are a lot of folks here who disagree. Ive lost count of how many times Ive been told that 9.8s are not perfect.

Well, if thats the case...where are all the 9.9s and 10s?

Well, no they shouldn't, because they aren't.

I'm not sure that you understand exactly how rare 'perfection' is in the case of a comic book. It has to be perfectly centered, stapled, etc. A 9.8 may otherwise be higher in grade if it didn't have a few flaws.

On 3/1/2022 at 9:44 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Well, no they shouldn't, because they aren't.

I'm not sure that you understand exactly how rare 'perfection' is in the case of a comic book. It has to be perfectly centered, stapled, etc. A 9.8 may otherwise be higher in grade if it didn't have a few flaws.

Im VERY happy with all my 9.8s because they look perfect.

Ive returned many 9.8s along the way that did not.

Do you have a lot of 9.8s in your collection with visible defects?

On 3/1/2022 at 1:19 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

:facepalm:

Every 9.8 has a visible defect, so yes.

Spawn 300 Gold.

288 of the 500 copies in circulation have been graded and not one copy graded above a 9.8.

:ohnoez:

On 3/1/2022 at 1:33 PM, lostboys said:

Spawn 300 Gold.

288 of the 500 copies in circulation have been graded and not one copy graded above a 9.8.

:ohnoez:

What's your point?

Just because a comic book exists does not mean that a copy will ever be Mint/Gem Mint. Christ.