• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tape on Spine = Restoration?

7 posts in this topic

Hello!

I am sure this question gets asked a lot but I couldn't find any threads on it with searching. 

I have 2 comics i am interested in sending off to get graded that both have tape along the spine. Does this count as a restoration and will this give me a purple lable?

2nd question. If a comic is missing a page but it doesn't effect story, does it automatically get a 0.5 grade? or does it automatically get a green label or do i specify which one i want on the book?

3rd question while I've got you legends,  is when submitting, it's cost effect to submit a group of books for 1975 and after and a group of books for 1975 and before? Or do I send them in bronze silver etc?

thank you greatly!

Edited by GroundRex

On 7/24/2021 at 6:05 AM, KCOComics said:

1) Tape is not restoration. CGC will treat it like it's not there any grade the book accordingly. They will note tape on the label

2) I believe the default is .5 blue label, unless you request Green. 

How do you make that request?

I'm not 100% sure.  The only similar situation I ran into was when I had some conservation work done on a book by a pro. I didn't want a purple label so I wrote a detailed note explaining the work that was done, who did the work, and that I was hoping for a conserved label. 

Ultimately, I did get a conserved label. Did my note help? No idea. Based on the work done, it really should have been conserved regardless. 

But that may be one way to go about it if you can't add a comment when you submit your order. 

The Post-It note sounds like a good idea. I've heard that any papers included with your submission are removed before they get to the graders. I must admit, however, I write the following on each submission form..."Please do your best to eliminate any newton rings or scuffs." I figure even if it has a 1% chance of doing any good, it's worth it.

On 7/23/2021 at 9:19 PM, GroundRex said:

Hello!

I am sure this question gets asked a lot but I couldn't find any threads on it with searching. 

I have 2 comics i am interested in sending off to get graded that both have tape along the spine. Does this count as a restoration and will this give me a purple lable?

2nd question. If a comic is missing a page but it doesn't effect story, does it automatically get a 0.5 grade? or does it automatically get a green label or do i specify which one i want on the book?

3rd question while I've got you legends,  is when submitting, it's cost effect to submit a group of books for 1975 and after and a group of books for 1975 and before? Or do I send them in bronze silver etc?

thank you greatly!

1. They may receive a Conserved label.
  2. It'll likely get a Qualified label. 0.5 Universal is for missing pages that do effect story.
  3. Assuming that they're all valued under $400? Yes, you would have 2 invoices for the separate ages groups.