• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Newsstand Fresh"
2 2

26 posts in this topic

Does it drive anyone else crazy the way every. single. listing. on Comic Link for a book with "White" pages get the descriptor "newsstand-fresh" added to it.  Every. Single. Time.  Like, someone thought "White" wasn't punchy enough and really wanted to jazz it up.  

They love this descriptor sooooo much, that even when a book doesn't have white pages, but it has "Off-White to White" pages, it still gets described as "near newsstand-fresh."  

Is there anyone, in the history of buying comics, who ever bought a book thinking "well, gee, if it's newsstand fresh...."  

It's so lazy.  And also stupid.  Drives me nuts.

/rant

"The only saving grace is that this 0.5 copy has retained newsstand fresh white pages!"

You do wonder if that's attracting the attention of bidders, especially since, as you note, they're applying it to OW/W as well.  They must feel it's effective, but I don't see it.

On 7/24/2021 at 9:36 PM, Axelrod said:

Does it drive anyone else crazy the way every. single. listing. on Comic Link for a book with "White" pages get the descriptor "newsstand-fresh" added to it.  Every. Single. Time.  Like, someone thought "White" wasn't punchy enough and really wanted to jazz it up.  

They love this descriptor sooooo much, that even when a book doesn't have white pages, but it has "Off-White to White" pages, it still gets described as "near newsstand-fresh."  

Is there anyone, in the history of buying comics, who ever bought a book thinking "well, gee, if it's newsstand fresh...."  

/rant

9147427b.gif

No, because it’s a description of page suppleness and general page appearance which says absolutely nothing about the other defects present.  A copy straight onto the newsstand could have creases, miswraps, printer marks, etc., while having as much page whiteness and suppleness as a gem mint copy, sharing identical paper stock.

To an oldie like myself, it’s meaningless without the additional context of all the other defects present; though it might impress a Facebook newbie, I suspect.

Edited by Ken Aldred

The hype that bothers me is the claim that the pages are so stellar they are 'bone white'.  These are clearly people who haven't actually seen any bones, which turn progressively yellow then tan with age, much the way poorly preserved comic book pages do, too.

'Snow white' would be an alternative to consider, but then there's the issue that sometimes the snow isn't exactly pure and fresh, either.  :grin:

Edited by namisgr

On 7/25/2021 at 10:01 AM, namisgr said:

'Snow white' would be an alternative to consider, but then there's the issue that sometimes the snow isn't exactly pure and fresh, either.  :grin:

71375a96a5816800fe406d2bd66a040bc23fb424876ac3ca79ef233f39bd302c.jpg.f330e20b5158f3623b31d7afa07257e1.jpg

On 7/24/2021 at 9:36 PM, Axelrod said:

/rant

Do they say newsstand fresh even on modern Direct Editions? If so they should stop. But yeah that newsstand fresh saying is getting quite stale. 

On 7/25/2021 at 11:01 AM, namisgr said:

The hype that bothers me is the claim that the pages are so stellar they are 'bone white'.  These are clearly people who haven't actually seen any bones, which turn progressively yellow then tan with age, much the way poorly preserved comic book pages do, too.

'sun bleached bone white' maybe?