• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why are the grading and pressing turn around estimates so unreliable?
2 2

13 posts in this topic

Hi

I get that there's no guarantees and I'm OK with being patient but it seems that the estimates can be wildly misleading.

I submitted a couple of books under the express tier, when I did the estimate was 15 days, sure it soon went to 21 days but when the 21st day actually hit the estimate went up to 39 days... 

That seems strange to me. I can only think of two possible causes for such a massive error in calculation: 1. staff have left or 2. an influx of higher priority books (i.e. signature series or walkthroughs) have arrived in excess of expectation.

Wish CGC and CCS best of luck in reducing the backlog.

According to a recent interview with new president Matt Nelson, the explanation is as simple as their submissions have grown exponentially faster than their ability to staff to maintain pace with the volume. By Matt's admission, turnaround times are going to get much worse for a while before they get better. 

Sure, thanks but that would seem to only explain why turnaround time estimates will get worse not why books already queued get further delayed. Even huge numbers of submissions should only add to the end of the queue and not interfere with the timing of those already in the queue unless... staff have to be diverted away from grading to processing new submissions which I suspect is what is happening.

Edited by Joe Fox

I would suspect there is also a lot more going on behind the scenes.  

Have you tried buying bags/ boards or other comic supplies?  Most of them are having trouble getting their orders in from the manufacturer.  

I would think CGC might be running into some of the same issues with their suppliers.  

Cases, micro chamber paper, inner wells etc.  With the unprecedented wave of submissions they would need an all new amount of all of these and may be having issues getting them within specific time frames. 

Just my 2c

On 7/26/2021 at 8:59 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I would suspect there is also a lot more going on behind the scenes.  

Have you tried buying bags/ boards or other comic supplies?  Most of them are having trouble getting their orders in from the manufacturer.  

I would think CGC might be running into some of the same issues with their suppliers.  

Cases, micro chamber paper, inner wells etc.  With the unprecedented wave of submissions they would need an all new amount of all of these and may be having issues getting them within specific time frames. 

Just my 2c

Could be. I haven't had issues with bags/boards orders myself but what you say makes sense.

On 7/25/2021 at 7:56 AM, Ryan. said:

According to a recent interview with new president Matt Nelson, the explanation is as simple as their submissions have grown exponentially faster than their ability to staff to maintain pace with the volume. By Matt's admission, turnaround times are going to get much worse for a while before they get better. 

Do you have a link to this interview, or remember where you saw it?  I would love to read it, especially as it seems it isn't all sunshine and roses, and actually has him facing some difficult topics.  Apologies if it's been posted elsewhere.  

On 7/27/2021 at 12:46 AM, Joe Fox said:

Could be. I haven't had issues with bags/boards orders myself but what you say makes sense.

You're lucky!  Everybody from my LCS to Gerber have had supplies backordered.  

On 7/28/2021 at 5:00 PM, djzombi said:

Do you have a link to this interview, or remember where you saw it?  I would love to read it, especially as it seems it isn't all sunshine and roses, and actually has him facing some difficult topics.  Apologies if it's been posted elsewhere.  

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/262409-current-turn-around-rates-at-cgc/page/889/?tab=comments#comment-11901373

On 7/28/2021 at 4:02 PM, djzombi said:
On 7/26/2021 at 11:46 PM, Joe Fox said:

You're lucky!  Everybody from my LCS to Gerber have had supplies backordered.  

Yep.. Even BCW is backordered on most of theirs till December.