• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicLink Auction Results As Market Barometer?

8 posts in this topic

I have been trying to keep up with all of the market crash threads that have arisen out of the Ewert scandal, but I have not seen one that discusses whether the prices achieved in the just completed ComicLink no-reserve auction shed light on the issue. The auction involved Silver and Bronze Age books. Because I am strictly a Golden Age collector, I do not have a good grasp of the Silver/Bronze Age markets. For those of you who are familiar with those markets, how do you view the auction results? Were they higher or lower than would have been expected before the Ewert scandal?

Prices were solid. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Not that I looked at every book, but most seem to go for market value.

Considering how many were being auctioned off at one time, I think that bodes well for collecting (especially since this is usually a slow period).

Prices were solid.

Not that I looked at every book, but most seem to go for market value.

Considering how many were being auctioned off at one time, I think that bodes well for collecting (especially since this is usually a slow period).

I get nervous whenever someone says something sold for "market value," as I have never seen a good definition of the term.

There has been more than one post here on the boards about suspicious bidding activities on Comiclink. If they run their auctions in any way similar to Heritage, ie allowing sellers to bid on their books, I would place exactly zero confidence in the sales figures.

Also have to consider that the majority of the books in the auction this time was later era, and lower in value. Not too many crooks are going to bother with that stuff.

I won a book, the Pac Coast Thor #137. I don't think I'll bid in another "focused auction" at C-Link again. I just didn't feel comfortable with the bidding activity on that book. I won the auction for $10 less than my high bid. I have the uneasy feeling had I placed a larger max bid I'd also be paying the same $10 less than max price...

...Of course that's the second time this week. I won a Heritage auction also $10 below my max earlier in the week.

I would not say the auction was strong. Some books achieved surprising results but for the most part it appeared lacklustre. Josh should have listed the pedigrees in the auction titles as well.

Paranoia. Hopefully. At least I didn't have to lay down $350+ in comparison to the other Pac Coasts at Doug's site.

...On the other hand, buying a Pac Coast usually means you've bought a pressed book...another story for another time I'm sure.

I just didn't feel comfortable with the bidding activity on that book. I won the auction for $10 less than my high bid. I have the uneasy feeling had I placed a larger max bid I'd also be paying the same $10 less than max price...]

Did anyone else experience this, and were there are a few random whacko prices out there, from bidders who stupidly put in a high bid just to make sure they got it?

I won a book, the Pac Coast Thor #137. I don't think I'll bid in another "focused auction" at C-Link again. I just didn't feel comfortable with the bidding activity on that book. I won the auction for $10 less than my high bid. I have the uneasy feeling had I placed a larger max bid I'd also be paying the same $10 less than max price...

...Of course that's the second time this week. I won a Heritage auction also $10 below my max earlier in the week.

I would not say the auction was strong. Some books achieved surprising results but for the most part it appeared lacklustre. Josh should have listed the pedigrees in the auction titles as well.

I think the auction was on the up and up. Mostly because there was very little last minute sniping, and several books that I did bid on, I never outbid the winner, but no one else came in to bump the price.

I won one book for about what I bid on it when it was listed on the site, but for about $35 less than the persons counter offer.

Actually, I saw one book sell for almost $200 less than I saw it being bid on, when it was just a listing which really tells me there was a greater chance of a shill then, then during the auction

Prices were about what I expected on a lot of books. It wasn't like the stuff was junk, but nothing was that amazing either. .