• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink, MCS or ?

19 posts in this topic

So what is the preferred auction house these days?  I don't really care av\bout the 8 or 10% all that much, but what has everyone's experience been with these two?  I left out Heritage, because 19% is crazy. I :) 

I also left out Ebay as I don't want to deal with high number Gypsys Tramps And Thieves.

Selling or buying? 

I have recent purchases with both and was very happy with both experiences.

I was very impressed with how quickly I got the book from MCS. Having bought from the big 3 in the past, I was expecting 1 to 3 weeks, but I had the book in hand after just a few days. 

On 7/31/2021 at 2:07 AM, toro said:

So what is the preferred auction house these days?  I don't really care av\bout the 8 or 10% all that much, but what has everyone's experience been with these two?  I left out Heritage, because 19% is crazy. I :) 

I also left out Ebay as I don't want to deal with high number Gypsys Tramps And Thieves.

Depends what you are selling. While I am a big advocate for MCS, Golden Age books tend to underperform in their auction format. 

Personal experience...

MCS:

Comics are shipped very fast

Shipping is low-cost, but books are packed very well (I was surprised at this).

I have no experience selling there.

CL:

Hit or Miss when talking about shipping time. In my experience, however, it's usually slow. Sometimes VERY.

Comics are packed very well.

All the fees are hard to swallow at times. You said you don't care about the commission fee, but there are more.

When buying, I like that CL has a much better 'line up' of comics...more choices.

When selling, be prepared to wait 1+ months for your check. Example: if the auction gets over mid-July (the AUCTION, not your particular book), I'd get my check early September.

I am looking to sell some books.  The biggest ones are Turtles 1-4 (the one unfortunately is a 3rd print)  all signed by Eastman.  Also a Raphael #1 signed.  1-3 are 9.6, the #4 is a 9.8 and Raphael which I thought looked the best when I sent it in came back a 9.4.  I have sold on Comiclink, but I have never sold in either of their auctions.

On 7/31/2021 at 7:15 PM, toro said:

I am looking to sell some books.  The biggest ones are Turtles 1-4 (the one unfortunately is a 3rd print)  all signed by Eastman.  Also a Raphael #1 signed.  1-3 are 9.6, the #4 is a 9.8 and Raphael which I thought looked the best when I sent it in came back a 9.4.  I have sold on Comiclink, but I have never sold in either of their auctions.

Based on the comics that you want to sell, I believe MCS is the best option

Have you thought about Myslabs? I listed an ASM39 there recently and sold it in less than a week. I'm sure that's the exception but might want to think about it if you can get approval. 

I think yellow labels are tricky in auctions. They might take a little longer to find the right buyer. I know you indicated Ebay is not an option but that's where I've most easily sold yellow labels for decent prices. Other than that I'd roll the dice in a Clink auction unless you're super patient and prefer listing on either mcs or Clink exchange.  

On 8/1/2021 at 12:37 AM, MGsimba77 said:

Have you thought about Myslabs? I listed an ASM39 there recently and sold it in less than a week. I'm sure that's the exception but might want to think about it if you can get approval. 

I think yellow labels are tricky in auctions. They might take a little longer to find the right buyer. I know you indicated Ebay is not an option but that's where I've most easily sold yellow labels for decent prices. Other than that I'd roll the dice in a Clink auction unless you're super patient and prefer listing on either mcs or Clink exchange.  

I looked at MySlabs, but their having no real order to their listings sort of turned me off.  I did sell a couple of books on C-Link exchange over the years, but I remember one was a highest graded Legion Adventure Comics.  I totally forgot after awhile that I had it listed then about a year later someone offered close to what I wanted for it, so I sold it.  I should have held onto it,  :)

I consigned TMNT 1 (3rd print) 2 copies 9.8, as well as a 9.0 2nd print, and multiple copies of first print 2,3 , and 4 in 9.6 and 9.8 and a Raphael 1 9.2..all auctioned off very well with ComiclLink 3 months ago..now prices have changed a lot since but I have zero complaint.

I really like MCS, but just be aware they tend to be tough graders. Which is good when you're buying, but can be a bit of a wakeup call when you've got raw books to sell...

Edited by Grottu

On 8/2/2021 at 11:34 AM, Grottu said:

I really like MCS, but just be aware they tend to be tough graders. Which is good when you're buying, but can be a bit of a wakeup call when you've got raw books to sell...

If the grading contests have proven anything - Toro doesn't have a clue how to grade so he will be in extra trouble :baiting:

On 8/2/2021 at 11:40 AM, 1Cool said:

If the grading contests have proven anything - Toro doesn't have a clue how to grade so he will be in extra trouble :baiting:

Yet I thought the Raphael was the nicer of all the books and that one got the 9.4 and the rest were 9.6 with one 9.8.