• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Expensive ?

15 posts in this topic

Welcome To The Boards!!!

It is always supply vs. demand, there are a couple of reasons for books being high in price, age, scarcity, speculation, etc.

If you let us know what book is he interested in purchasing we may be able to shed a little more light on why this is a $200.00 book.

On 7/31/2021 at 11:32 AM, Lulu_lovely said:

Hi, so my son has recently started getting into comics. He wants one that is worth $200. Why is it so expensive? Do they only publish so many copy’s? 

He wants a random comic worth $200, or a specific comic that happens to be worth $200?

Many comic prices ebb and flow with movie and TV property popularity. There's a lot of stuff originally printed during the 1930's-1970's that will always be valuable.

Why are paintings from the 15th century so expensive? Supply and demand.

On 7/31/2021 at 8:32 AM, Lulu_lovely said:

Hi, so my son has recently started getting into comics. He wants one that is worth $200. Why is it so expensive? Do they only publish so many copy’s? 

This isn't necessarily the driver for the cost of your specific book (though it might be part of it), but yes, specific issues of comics are not continuously published.  If it helps, you can think of them similar to magazines.  They take all the orders a few months in advance, research other sales data, and print one big (or small batch), and that's it.  If it is popular and sells out, it may get a reprint, like a 2nd or 3rd printing of the book, but that is considered a different book (even if the story is technically the same).  Of course the print run for every book is different, and sometimes demand for book with a smaller print run (generally less pre-order sales and hype prior to printing) can drive up the price.

THere are of course (as stated below), a million other reasons for a book to be worth $200 or $2000 or $20000 or $2, but the basic principles of economics generally apply.  Do you ask why a tv costs what it costs?  or grapes?  Unless you are really interested in getting into the nitty gritty of comic pricing and collection, the only thing that really should matter TO YOU (in my opinion) is if $200 is a fair price for the book your kid wants.  To that end, I'd ask him why he wants this specific comic and why he thinks $200 is a fair price (this assumes your son is more in the 12-16 range as opposed to the 4-7 age range.).  This may result in a teaching moment for your son how to make buying decisions and/or cost/benefit analysis (note: not trying to tell you how to parent, you do you, just a suggestion) AND I'd look up the comic on ebay and sort for 'sold' so you can see how much the comic has sold for in the past (of course grade may be an issue), so you can make sure you're not grossly overpaying (you might even be getting a good deal!).

Other good advice previously given is to just tell us here what the comic is (preferably a picture or grade would be even more helpful but understandable if you can't get it), and folks here can probably tell you IMMEDIATELY if its worth it and possibly why the cost is what it is.

On 8/2/2021 at 7:40 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Welcome To The Boards!!!

It is always supply vs. demand, there are a couple of reasons for books being high in price, age, scarcity, speculation, etc.

If you let us know what book is he interested in purchasing we may be able to shed a little more light on why this is a $200.00 book.

this is all true.

good luck

One question is "how old is your son?" because if he's five then his budget should arguably be a lot lower than $200. On the other hand if I'd been allowed to spend that much at that age, then I would have bought the first appearance of Spiderman & I'd be a very happy bunny right now! 

If he's 18 or above and earns his own money then he could be making an informed choice. 

On 8/2/2021 at 10:50 AM, revat said:

Do you ask why a tv costs what it costs?  or grapes?

Prices of collectibles on the secondary market are really not comparable to either of those.

On 8/2/2021 at 2:27 PM, Hulksdaddy1 said:

I smell a bot

Really?

hm(shrug)

1. There's no link to a (likely questionable) site

2. Our resident genius didn't welcome them as if they were a real person when they are clearly not

On 8/2/2021 at 5:38 PM, Lazyboy said:

Really?

hm(shrug)

1. There's no link to a (likely questionable) site

2. Our resident genius didn't welcome them as if they were a real person when they are clearly not

Maybe. Maybe not. Been a bunch of these one post hits lately. Ask a question, never to return. Just very weird, feels robo-ish. (shrug)

On 8/2/2021 at 4:46 PM, Hulksdaddy1 said:

Maybe. Maybe not. Been a bunch of these one post hits lately. Ask a question, never to return. Just very weird, feels robo-ish. (shrug)

You have to remember that first posts from new posters don't show up for days, so they get no response for days and may get distracted. And, of course, some people are just jerks and don't reply to those trying to help them.

I remember an ASM #1 at million year picnic in Cambridge MA for around $200 back in the early 80's. No clue on the grade but I couldn't convince my dad that he should buy it for me. If he could see the prices now...

On 8/3/2021 at 7:21 PM, universal soldier said:

I remember an ASM #1 at million year picnic in Cambridge MA for around $200 back in the early 80's. No clue on the grade but I couldn't convince my dad that he should buy it for me. If he could see the prices now...

yeah I think we all have had something like that happen.

Way back in 1955, My Dad was offered an entire square block of land for $500. It wasn't considered to be in the city of Edmonton it was in Jasper Place which was a small suburb very close to downtown of the main city. It was a dirt plot that people parked their cars on but wasn't even considered a parking lot at the time. My Dad turned it down, as back in 1955 $500 was a lot of money to an 18 year old. Today that block has a very tall building on it, and Jasper Place is just the name of the area within the main city limits. 

On 8/2/2021 at 1:10 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

One question is "how old is your son?" because if he's five then his budget should arguably be a lot lower than $200. On the other hand if I'd been allowed to spend that much at that age, then I would have bought the first appearance of Spiderman & I'd be a very happy bunny right now! 

If he's 18 or above and earns his own money then he could be making an informed choice. 

I remember when I first got into the hobby back in late 2017. I begged my parents to buy me a Green Lantern #76 for the longest time ever because 17 year old me didn’t have a job. My parents thought spending $300 on a comic book was crazy as well. Anyways I ended up buying myself one once I got my first job.