• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spine Curl - deduction value?
2 2

9 posts in this topic

Recommended I post question here. Trying to determine cost/benefit of press for books I'm ok letting slide with lower threshold grades.  Assuming no other defects, how much of a (ballpark) deduction does slight Spine Curl/Bend get?    

Have a batch of copper age comics (~1988-92) that have no other flaws; no creases, color break, scuffing, divot, stress lines, etc. Just a slight compression roll along spine you get from stacking. Attaching pic to illustrate what I mean re:spines. Example 5 is a double-sized issue with greater compression and probably will be getting pressed regardless. Curious if you can anticipate that to be like a 9.6 or if it's egregious enough to drop to like 9.0-9.2 in CGC's eyes. Again, ballpark estimate, broadly speaking. 

Thanks!

spine_curl.jpg

Here's my copied response from the PGM forum. I'm interested in what others will say.

Overstreet Guidelines would allow what you are describing around 8.5. Higher grades are to have a flat spine with no roll. CGC isn't as tough.

This question kinda came up in another PGM the other day. I mentioned I have a 9.8 with a slight spine roll I figured also came from stacking books. Here's a pic:

1387002617_Wolverine47(CGC9.8).thumb.jpg.5e63e481934dfc0fc93dc100f84c93c6.jpg

You should be able to see it running along the spine near Wolverine's side. It doesn't extend the entire length of the spine.

This book was graded a few years back. CGC standards may have changed. However, if your books are otherwise flawless, I would expect little to no deduction for such a slight spine roll.

IMO. Others may have a different take on this. And most collectors will likely tell you press any book prior to submitting. The expectation nowadays is to maximize the quality of any submitted book the best you can.

On 8/5/2021 at 2:52 PM, Jaywalker0 said:

Recommended I post question here. Trying to determine cost/benefit of press for books I'm ok letting slide with lower threshold grades.  Assuming no other defects, how much of a (ballpark) deduction does slight Spine Curl/Bend get?    

Have a batch of copper age comics (~1988-92) that have no other flaws; no creases, color break, scuffing, divot, stress lines, etc. Just a slight compression roll along spine you get from stacking. Attaching pic to illustrate what I mean re:spines. Example 5 is a double-sized issue with greater compression and probably will be getting pressed regardless. Curious if you can anticipate that to be like a 9.6 or if it's egregious enough to drop to like 9.0-9.2 in CGC's eyes. Again, ballpark estimate, broadly speaking. 

Thanks!

I would bet against any 9.6s with spine roll.

Severity is key and whether or not CGC will see the stacking curl as a production flaw or a defect caused by storage. IMO a stacking curl is and isn't the same as a spine roll.

On 8/10/2021 at 1:33 AM, grendelbo said:

Severity is key and whether or not CGC will see the stacking curl as a production flaw or a defect caused by storage. IMO a stacking curl is and isn't the same as a spine roll.

My thoughts exactly.  A slight stacking curl could be caused by being in a big stack of the same issue at the wholesaler's...or by being in a pile in somebody's basement for 10 years.  I would say severity is what matters. And, yes, stacking curl is NOT a spine roll.  Two different animals entirely.  

On 8/10/2021 at 1:44 PM, djzombi said:

My thoughts exactly.  A slight stacking curl could be caused by being in a big stack of the same issue at the wholesaler's...or by being in a pile in somebody's basement for 10 years.  I would say severity is what matters. And, yes, stacking curl is NOT a spine roll.  Two different animals entirely.  

Interesting.

Isnt stacking raw books how spine rolls happen though?

What are the other causes of spine roll?

Spine roll happens from somebody folding the front cover over completely to the back cover to read the book.  Doing that page after page - often even creasing it - was a common way to handle and read books by kids or before comics became "collector's items."  

On 8/10/2021 at 12:06 PM, djzombi said:

Spine roll happens from somebody folding the front cover over completely to the back cover to read the book.  Doing that page after page - often even creasing it - was a common way to handle and read books by kids or before comics became "collector's items."  

This exactly.

Improper storage too I think.

On 8/10/2021 at 2:09 PM, grendelbo said:

This exactly.

Improper storage too I think.

Yep

Can happen from stacking books so high that the weight sliding to one side causes the upper books to pull the covers from the bottom of the stack to one side, basically misaligning them