• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Are My Options?
6 6

57 posts in this topic

On 8/6/2021 at 8:28 PM, Math Teacher said:

I have got to work on improving my pessimism. You folks identify this as a minor issue, but, in my mind, I see it as a complete and utter disaster.

Don't we all?

I'm glad it worked out all right.

On 8/6/2021 at 10:28 PM, Math Teacher said:

Well, everything turned out OK in the end. The package showed up today; the carrier wrote a note apologizing for the mix-up.

I have got to work on improving my pessimism. You folks identify this as a minor issue, but, in my mind, I see it as a complete and utter disaster.

Thanks for everyone's support and advice.

Yeah i think we all have dealt with this recently.  Let's see the book

Edited by Wolverinex

On 8/6/2021 at 10:35 PM, Wolverinex said:

Yeah i think we all have dealt with this recently.  Let's see the book

+1

Glad it worked out for you and the package showed up.

My experience is and has been always a roller coaster with USPS. Covid didn’t help it at all.

I have had so many packages left with other people at neighbors, left on the delivery truck by mistake, sent backwards as mailed delivery instead of dropped off.

Here is what everyone should do. 
Now days a camera door bell is relatively in expensive, I put that one and one above my garage and believe it or not it deters almost all package thief’s and also gives you another form of proof in a he said she said situation. Get the number to the local delivery office postmaster. The second your “tracking” shows delivered and your like wtf it’s not there, call them and they will in turn contact the driver and more often then not get the package delivered correctly* within an hour. If the package arrives destroyed or damaged take pictures of the package prior to opening (very important) with damage shown. You then have 2 options. 1) take to post and just return to sender for a refund. 2) open it and see if books survived the crushing and drop kicking. The pictures will be enough for the insurance claim process at USPS.

Remember the seller wants you to get your book, 100% of lost packages is not their fault. Maybe 10% of damaged items is their fault if they don’t package correctly but let’s be honest every book I buy seems to be wrapped up better then Houdini on his final trick. Which takes careful unwrapping to not damage the book on opening lol.

Anyways again glad it was all sorted and again these are the suggestions I use myself and I deal with about 200k usd in books a year moving in and out of my collection.

On 8/6/2021 at 7:28 PM, Math Teacher said:

Well, everything turned out OK in the end. The package showed up today; the carrier wrote a note apologizing for the mix-up.

Thanks for everyone's support and advice.

:golfclap:

Man every time something like this happens i have to sit down, take a deep breath and tell my self to calm down and try to sort through the best course of action.  Everyones advice on here are exactly the things ive experienced and had to go through like a check list before i start to panic. In a direct reponse to your question, here are your options if they apply:

1. Recheck the tracking and delivery notifications and status. Im signed up for both email and txt delivery notifications.  Often a package is misdelivered or prematurely recorded as delivered and will show up the next day or so.

2. Check all door cameras for visibility of the usps delivery that day and see if they actually did drop anything off at my house. If they did u may also see video of your spouse, kids, or in-laws picking up the package and bringing it inside somewhere u didnt see.  U may also see if u were hit by a porch pirate 

3. Call usps local office (all 3 major carriers are on speed dial) and report a package not delivered. That gets the case started and process going for hopefully a quick recovery.

4. Check with neighbors to the left, right, and across the street from you. I once had a very nice neighbor bring over an opened box apologizing that her husband thought it was their birthday gift. It had a receipt with $1000+ along with the cgc comic in it. Note, be on good terms with your neighbors.

5. Inform the seller so they can begin preparing for a possible usps claim.

6. Be patient and try to focus on other more important things: family, friends, job, etc, while you wait patiently for the things that are outside of your control work themselves out.

7. Follow up daily but be polite and professional.

I do think it is bogus for usps to offer sig conf service when they often dont ring the doorbell or verify anyone actually wss home to receive it. I understand the reasons due to covid but they dont even ring the doorbell. They just leave it and go and mark it as signed for.  What happened to leaving a door tag and holding the package at the post office?

On 8/6/2021 at 8:39 PM, Jemin said:

Someone lied to you then. The correct procedure is to knock on the door and when the customer answers, tell them that we have a a piece of mail/parcel that requires a signature but with covid we cannot allow anyone to touch the scanners and as long as you agree to accept the package we will sign it for you.  If there is no one home, scan the item attempted and leave a notice for the customer to come to the office and pick it up.  This isn't a regional policy.  It is a national mandate.

I can tell you that the Post Office in Council Bluffs didn't get this memo.

On 8/5/2021 at 10:47 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Do they not take a photo of your package on your front porch there as an alternate to signature confirmation? That's what they do here, and it's pretty easy to see immediately when they've deliverered something to the wrong address. 

Best wishes getting it sorted, and I hope the book shows up. 

The only shipping company that takes a picture of the package, as far as I know, is Amazon. If the package is from FedEx, I can drive to our local FedEx hub and ask someone to hold the box at the office until I am able to get there. I honestly don't remember what UPS does, because I don't remember the last time I got a UPS package.

On 8/8/2021 at 3:48 PM, Math Teacher said:

I can tell you that the Post Office in Council Bluffs didn't get this memo.

They surely did, but unfortunately for you and your neighbors it seems they are terrible at caring about their job or their customers.  Sorry to hear that.

I have problems with UPS and FedEx, but never USPS.  FedEx delivered 2 non comic packages at Christmas.  I was working from home that day and saw the deliver email come in and went down to get the boxes, but none were there.  I called and FedEx said the seller had to make the call.  This was an ebay seller and I messaged him, but no answer.  I tried again and he had been thrown off ebay, but since ebay had the message from FedEx, they considered it delivered and would not investigate it.  I call FedEx again and they at least told me it was delivered, but then they gave the address, which is 3 miles away from me.  I called the business and they looked, but did not have it.  I called FedEx again and they said it was delivered, but I said yes, to the wrong address and they said it wasn't their fault.  Who the heck's fault was it?

UPS on the other had finds the one door on my house that does not look like a real entrance and either leaves a notice of an attempt or just leave it on the ground.  I once found a box that had a CGC book in it that must have been out there over a week in torrential rain.  I lifted up the package and the cardboard just slide off.  Thank God the seller wrapped tons of bubble wrap all around it and the slab was totally safe.

On 8/13/2021 at 9:39 PM, toro said:

I have problems with UPS and FedEx, but never USPS.  FedEx delivered 2 non comic packages at Christmas.  I was working from home that day and saw the deliver email come in and went down to get the boxes, but none were there.  I called and FedEx said the seller had to make the call.  This was an ebay seller and I messaged him, but no answer.  I tried again and he had been thrown off ebay, but since ebay had the message from FedEx, they considered it delivered and would not investigate it.  I call FedEx again and they at least told me it was delivered, but then they gave the address, which is 3 miles away from me.  I called the business and they looked, but did not have it.  I called FedEx again and they said it was delivered, but I said yes, to the wrong address and they said it wasn't their fault.  Who the heck's fault was it?

UPS on the other had finds the one door on my house that does not look like a real entrance and either leaves a notice of an attempt or just leave it on the ground.  I once found a box that had a CGC book in it that must have been out there over a week in torrential rain.  I lifted up the package and the cardboard just slide off.  Thank God the seller wrapped tons of bubble wrap all around it and the slab was totally safe.

This is nearly identical to the experiences I've had with all three carriers.  

1) I had a shipment via FedEx get sent to the same street name/number in a different town.  When I reported it as unreceived, I was told it was delivered (which it was, just not to MY house), but the seller was nice and mailed it again.  It again got sent to that other town.  I think we could see on the tracking where it ultimately ended up, so the seller saw it wasn't my fault, and sent a THIRD package.  This one got to me.  

2) UPS also doesn't leave packages at the front door.  Instead of leaving them WHERE OUR HOUSE NUMBER AND MAILBOX IS, they leave packages at our side entrance.  I should mention that our "front" door is also on the side of the house, i.e. not facing the street, so UPS isn't doing this for security purposes (preventing theft, whatever).

3) USPS: rare issues.  Only real issues is that sometimes I get a notification that an item is about to be delivered/was delivered today, but it actually shows up the next day.  VERY rarely it shows up two days later.  I've learned to be patient if I get a delivery notification from USPS and there isn't a package.