• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do CGC do with a loose piece?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

I have a low grade X-Men #2 that I plan to send in. Part of the back cover is separated in the photo the lower left corner crease is actually a cut. Do CGC insert the piece into the slab or leave it out?

Image 51 - X-men # 2 MEGA KEY 1963 Vanisher first appearance X-men team second appearance X

Edited by Joe Fox

On 8/10/2021 at 6:14 AM, Donado said:

Check out the video at the bottom.

Thanks, that's very helpful. CGC would grade the comic as if that piece is missing which means I can either leave it out (doesn't present as well) or reattach with archival tape (probably mentioned on the label - can't find a clear answer if the type of tape affects this)

On 8/9/2021 at 4:49 PM, Joe Fox said:

Thanks, that's very helpful. CGC would grade the comic as if that piece is missing which means I can either leave it out (doesn't present as well) or reattach with archival tape (probably mentioned on the label - can't find a clear answer if the type of tape affects this)

The tape issue is mentioned in other threads... just don't ask me to find one.  Archival tape gets you a conservation label, but scotch tape gets you a blue label.  Silly, but that's what the current policy is.

When I was researching CGC's policies for including non-attached items in the case, the answer was simply they don't do it.  If you sent them a loose piece with the comic, the piece might just be thrown away.  An example that you can search for are all of those 3D comics which originally included a loose pair of 3D "glasses" with the book.  CGC does not include the "glasses" in the case, and the books get a green "qualified" label.

On 8/11/2021 at 7:14 AM, Yorick said:

The tape issue is mentioned in other threads... just don't ask me to find one.  Archival tape gets you a conservation label, but scotch tape gets you a blue label.  Silly, but that's what the current policy is.

When I was researching CGC's policies for including non-attached items in the case, the answer was simply they don't do it.  If you sent them a loose piece with the comic, the piece might just be thrown away.  An example that you can search for are all of those 3D comics which originally included a loose pair of 3D "glasses" with the book.  CGC does not include the "glasses" in the case, and the books get a green "qualified" label.

You're right, archival tape gets a conversation label: https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/grading-scale/?scale=restoration

So I'll just connect it with scotch tape and submit. They'll grade it like the piece is not there but should look better and get a blue label.

Thanks

On 8/12/2021 at 12:35 AM, Joe Fox said:

You're right, archival tape gets a conversation label: https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/grading-scale/?scale=restoration

So I'll just connect it with scotch tape and submit. They'll grade it like the piece is not there but should look better and get a blue label.

Thanks

My personal preference would be to use archival.  Times changes, and opinions change with them.  Do what is best for the book (reversible "corrections").  Certain clear tape can discolor the paper over time (I don't know if Scotch is one of them).

OR, you could leave the book raw.