• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Streaming Content is getting so bad...
1 1

36 posts in this topic

I guess I'm just getting pickier in my old age. LOL

I couldn't make it passed the first episode of The Umbrella Academy (it felt like those teenage CW Super hero shows), never heard of Sweet Tooth or Locke & Key so I'll check them out.  The Old Guard seemed like a 2020 rip off of Highlander. Lucifer, sounds like that genera where they take the bad guy/women like in Wicked and try and make you feel empathy for them which doesn't sound to appealing.  Once in awhile those types of shows are good but then Hollywood makes a ton of shows like that.

On 8/8/2021 at 7:39 AM, Xenosmilus said:

I guess I'm just getting pickier in my old age. LOL

I couldn't make it passed the first episode of The Umbrella Academy (it felt like those teenage CW Super hero shows), never heard of Sweet Tooth or Locke & Key so I'll check them out.  The Old Guard seemed like a 2020 rip off of Highlander. Lucifer, sounds like that genera where they take the bad guy/women like in Wicked and try and make you feel empathy for them which doesn't sound to appealing.  Once in awhile those types of shows are good but then Hollywood makes a ton of shows like that.

I think it's you. All the shows you listed were very enjoyable. 

Netflix just isn't putting out the quality it used to. They were so reliant on other content creators for so long I don't know if they have it in them to put out the same level of shows now that everyone else has created their own streaming platforms.

Of the the things that are wholly produced by Netflix, very few last more than 3 seasons, and with the exception of Sweet Tooth and Castlevania I haven't seen anything on Netflix in the last few years that makes me want to stay subscribed.

The bulk of their output right now seems like internationally licensed shows they didn't make, true crime drama that is better served to the schlock channels on cable, and paltry documentaries that couldn't find any other venue to sell to. Their anime output is atrocious for every ten I see 1 may be good and they can't even get full series they only have one or two seasons for the most part. Their original movies have some decent picks if you look at what makes Oscar contention, but other than that they mostly feel like a step above something the Sy Fy channel would put out.

Im probably going to unsubscribed this month and I've been a member for over a decade now. The price they're charging for HD quality streaming is entirely disproportionate to the quality of their content right now. HBO Max far outweighs them with quality content for the money in my personal opinion. Between Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, Warner Bros. movies, HBOs shows and the always impressive TCM catalog I can guarantee I'll find something to watch on there before I scroll through the same 5 shows 30 times on Netflix.) 

On 8/8/2021 at 1:22 PM, AJLewandoski said:

Netflix just isn't putting out the quality it used to. They were so reliant on other content creators for so long I don't know if they have it in them to put out the same level of shows now that everyone else has created their own streaming platforms.

Of the the things that are wholly produced by Netflix, very few last more than 3 seasons, and with the exception of Sweet Tooth and Castlevania I haven't seen anything on Netflix in the last few years that makes me want to stay subscribed.

The bulk of their output right now seems like internationally licensed shows they didn't make, true crime drama that is better served to the schlock channels on cable, and paltry documentaries that couldn't find any other venue to sell to. Their anime output is atrocious for every ten I see 1 may be good and they can't even get full series they only have one or two seasons for the most part. Their original movies have some decent picks if you look at what makes Oscar contention, but other than that they mostly feel like a step above something the Sy Fy channel would put out.

Im probably going to unsubscribed this month and I've been a member for over a decade now. The price they're charging for HD quality streaming is entirely disproportionate to the quality of their content right now. HBO Max far outweighs them with quality content for the money in my personal opinion. Between Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, Warner Bros. movies, HBOs shows and the always impressive TCM catalog I can guarantee I'll find something to watch on there before I scroll through the same 5 shows 30 times on Netflix.) 

Seriously - this is good to know as I have been toying with signing up for Netflix as well.

Netflix_pricing.thumb.PNG.62326f376496368304195c461a68f285.PNG

But in order to allow for more than one streaming TV, you have to pay $13.99/month. I just couldn't see making that jump.

T-Mobile will cover a basic subscription to Netflix for free but I just upgraded to a Premium plan for the UHD streaming option. It’s $18 and T-Mobile covers half of it. I’m good with $9 a month unless Netflix hikes up their prices further.

On 8/8/2021 at 2:52 PM, Scam Likely said:

T-Mobile will cover a basic subscription to Netflix for free but I just upgraded to a Premium plan for the UHD streaming option. It’s $18 and T-Mobile covers half of it. I’m good with $9 a month unless Netflix hikes up their prices further.

I have a feeling that's where my Sprint account will land in the next year with the acquisition completed.

So I lose Hulu. But gain Netflix. And then all I have to pay to keep Hulu is $5.99/month w/ads.

Hulu.PNG.37bb7fac76a150389b12168cb238e24f.PNG

Kim's Convince was pretty good which is on Netflix. I got bored by the 3rd or 4th season though.  I'll finish it at some point.  One surprise that I enjoyed on Netflix was The Kominsky Method.  The first 2 Season anyways, the third Season was a bomb.

Edited by Xenosmilus

On 8/8/2021 at 9:28 AM, Bosco685 said:

It gets worse.

Report: Hollywood Studios Could Soon Insert Digital Product Placement Ads Into Classic Films And TV Shows

Studios, to find new revenue, have possibly considered editing old productions to insert new brand products.

With the deep fake technology companies have figured out how to replace old content with it. so if you think streaming 'sucks' now, just wait. You'll be watching Casablanca and Rick will hold up his favorite coffee brand - which didn't even exist back then.

:popcorn:

This is why I tell people to hold on to their physical media. For years, with VHS/Beta, Laserdiscs, DVDs and Blu-ray, activists fought the studios and content holders for the right to own or rent movies to watch in their own homes. Hollywood could not stand the fact that consumers could buy their movies for one price and then watch them over and over again with as many other people as you liked without paying a fee. Remember Divx? That was a DVD system from the very early days of the format in which you bought the DVD, had to unlock it with a code, and then could watch the program three times. After those three times, you had to pay whenever you wanted to watch the movie again.

Twentieth Century Fox and (of course) Disney favored this format. Circuit City marketed it. And the home video activists and enthusiasts fought this format, and thankfully DVD won the format battle.

Now we're back to square one. Movie studios want to move totally to streaming and eventually eliminate physical formats. They want to control what we watch, and how we watch it. This is the first time that consumer home entertainment has taken a step backward in both quality and freedom. And I think a lot of people will be sorry at some point. But by then it may be too late.

Hollywood has won.

On 8/8/2021 at 4:10 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Kim's Convince was pretty good which is on Netflix. I got bored by the 3rd or 4th season though.  I'll finish it at some point.  One surprise that I enjoyed on Netflix was The Kominsky Method.  The first 2 Season anyways, the third Season was a bomb.

Kim's convenience isn't a Netflix original though, as they might claim, it's from CBC. Netflix secures international licensing then tacks their name on things. They do it with shows from basically every foreign market, when in reality they had nothing to do with these shows. As a Michigander that is a perk of living close to the Candian border I can get CBC on my digital antenna. :popcorn: 

The Kominsky Method is another victim that hit 3 seasons and was cut off. Netflix is of the belief that most of the time an audience isn't retained past 3 seasons, so outside of their most popular shows they dont commit to much after that. It leads to a lot of disappointing final seasons because the creators are rushed to try and fit everything they had planned and wrap everything up in the 12-ish episodes they're allowed.

On 8/8/2021 at 5:26 PM, AJLewandoski said:

Kim's convenience isn't a Netflix original though, as they might claim, it's from CBC. Netflix secures international licensing then tacks their name on things. They do it with shows from basically every foreign market, when in reality they had nothing to do with these shows. As a Michigander that is a perk of living close to the Candian border I can get CBC on my digital antenna. :popcorn: 

The Kominsky Method is another victim that hit 3 seasons and was cut off. Netflix is of the belief that most of the time an audience isn't retained past 3 seasons, so outside of their most popular shows they dont commit to much after that. It leads to a lot of disappointing final seasons because the creators are rushed to try and fit everything they had planned and wrap everything up in the 12-ish episodes they're allowed.

Yeah I know, just naming stuff I though was decent on Netflix now.

On 8/8/2021 at 5:53 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Yeah I know, just naming stuff I though was decent on Netflix now.

Careful

On 8/8/2021 at 10:02 AM, Xenosmilus said:

Remember, my point of this thread was NEW content, not new to you or who has the bigger library.

:rulez:

:baiting:

There is a also the trend with streaming that even very popular stuff has shorter seasons and never lasts beyond 4 seasons.  Even if it is super popular. Either they do not want to spend the money, or the stuff is not as successful as they want us to think.

On 8/8/2021 at 7:18 PM, drotto said:

There is a also the trend with streaming that even very popular stuff has shorter seasons and never lasts beyond 4 seasons.  Even if it is super popular. Either they do not want to spend the money, or the stuff is not as successful as they want us to think.

= greed

While I wouldn't go so far as to say it's "bad" (in the context of being low quality in writing, production etc.), I'd say most of it I've seen in one form or another and am generally just sticking to the original concepts or formats. Regardless though, I do love streamers for the bulk of catalogue movies (which I'm happy that they didn't get shafted or left to rot along the passages of time just because of preconceptions of people in my age demographic or people under the age of forty having never heard of one title or another) and it helps make it easier to discover new gems for my blu ray library (I am also forever indebted to Kino Lorber and Criterion for their remarkable eye and taste for such films) as well as not having to worry about those pesky streamers "tweaking" certain films to appease modern audiences:foryou: .

Edited by Skylath
vowel vocabulator short circuiting in the old noggin