• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detached cover vs taped cover with archival tape
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Would it be best to leave cover detached overall?  I have an Iron Man 1 that has a cover detached but only came with 1 staple. Top one was never placed. If book was attached I’d say it would be about a 7. Thoughts?

On 8/12/2021 at 6:34 AM, Kalistyles said:

Would it be best to leave cover detached overall?  I have an Iron Man 1 that has a cover detached but only came with 1 staple. Top one was never placed. If book was attached I’d say it would be about a 7. Thoughts?

So there are no holes in the cover/book where the top staple would normally be?

CGC changed it's stance on tape in 2013. Tape can NEVER improve the grade of a book. If tape repairs a defect - like a detached cover or a detached corner of the cover - then the book is graded as though the cover is still detached, the corner still loose. 

If tape does nothing - say someone added tape to the spine just to reinforce - then the tape itself is considered a defect and factored into the grade. 

If you use a piece of regular tape ("scotch magic tape) to reattach the cover on your Iron Man 1 the book will get the same grade it would have received if the cover was still detached. If you use archival tape or other professional retoration type reattachment (wheat paste and mending paper)  you will get a conserved grade. The grade will be higher as it will be an "apparent" grade. But it will have a conserved label.

Overall, there is little financial incentive to reattach the cover.  You either get the same blue label grade as if the cover is still detached or a higher grade but with a Conserved label. 

Link to CGC announcement

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/3327/CGC-Modifies-Stance-on-Grading-Submissions-with-Tape/#:~:text=Currently%2C CGC's stance on tape,a piece of the comic.&text=Books with tape that have,criteria and be graded accordingly.