• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Happy 60th Birthday to Fantastic Four #1, The Birth Of The Marvel U
2 2

51 posts in this topic

On 8/8/2021 at 3:57 PM, namisgr said:

Stan and Jack were at their peak for 102 consecutive regular issues and 6 annuals starting with this one:

As with any long-running title, its quality has fluctuated, but there have been several extensive runs of consistently high standard in addition to classic Lee / Kirby; those of Byrne, Waid / Wieringo, and Hickman. 

I’m still interested in reading more adventures of this sexagenarian, old school science hero team.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Can't stand Byrne, but besides that I dislike his FF run (I do love his X-Men work, so it's not like I've thrown everything of his out, I judge it based on its own merit, I just so happen to think the man is trash in general), and a slog to get through, just too outdated for me in a way that Lee/Kirby never could. I agree with all your other choices, though. Top runs, especially Hickman. 

On 8/8/2021 at 5:20 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Can't stand Byrne, but besides that I dislike his FF run (I do love his X-Men work, so it's not like I've thrown everything of his out, I judge it based on its own merit, I just so happen to think the man is trash in general), and a slog to get through, just too outdated for me in a way that Lee/Kirby never could. I agree with all your other choices, though. Top runs, especially Hickman. 

Byrne does seem to polarise.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 8/9/2021 at 2:34 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Byrne does seem to polarise.

With his attitude I'm surprised his reputation is as good as it is (and that's not saying much). But anyway, he definitely belongs here, as his run is generally recognised as one of the greats, no denying that. 

Happy Birthday you guys! I can never thank you enough. If you hadn't been there when I was a kid, the path I took in life probably would've been heavily influenced by hordes of evil high school girls. Fortunately, whenever any girl gazed upon the Fantastic Four awesomeness adorning my walls, they all ran away.

I did almost enjoy the Trial arc, until Byrne inserted himself, ruining the gravitos of the arc for me. I know it was because of Assistant Editor's month or whatever other excuse, but that doesn't hold water for me, as he loved inserting himself into the comics/covers whenever he could. Ruined the story for me. 

I do love that aspect of Galactus he created, though. Perfectly logical, and IMO makes him a lot more intimidating and just plain scarier. 

Edited by Mecha_Fantastic

On 8/8/2021 at 4:58 PM, Artboy99 said:

I have never read his entire run even though I do have it. I credit him with one of the coolest attributes of Galactus from when he was on trial. Every species that looks upon him sees something different. I love this:

fantastic-four-262-009.jpg

I love the entire Byrne run!

On 8/9/2021 at 10:58 AM, Artboy99 said:

i have the entire run in comic form. I wonder if they ever released a trade of it?

A series of tpbs, which is how I read a lot of it, and omniboo too.