• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spread 'em: spreadsheet layout design

23 posts in this topic

After reading a thread about organizing our artwork, I noticed quite a few people used spreadsheets to summarize their collections. So, I finally decided to get serious and organize mine (an ongoing work in progress). In addition to sharing my thoughts, maybe pick up some improvements.

Most of my collection is organized in a series of books that are dependent on their physical size and when they were purchased (on occasion, they do get moved). For my spreadsheet, I place all art on a single sheet, separated by book. Each book also has 2 separate file folders related to it on my computer marked (a) and (b) (e.g., 1a, 1b, 2a, etc.). Most of these categories I use are probably pretty common: Book title, volume, issue, page, penciller, inker, colorist (but only if I have a color guide). I also include two columns for hyperlinks. I scan (or take photos) of each page of art I own and place it in the related (a) folder. Then, I hyperlink the page to column (a) related to each book. In folder (b), I include a copy of the published page (assuming I can find it), and hyperlink it to the spreadsheet. That way, I can call up any piece of art, and also see how it looked in published form. There is also a misc. column for things like additional photos (which go in the (b) file), artist's comments or anything else of interest (also in the (b) folder). Finally, I include a team-up column listing each character of interest to me (other than PS). That way I can use the search function to see all appearances and team-ups with, say, Spectre or Batman. I don't include a column for purchase price, since I don't care about it, nor the source, since I generally know whom I have good experiences with. 

For art that is partially digital, I include both artists for each piece, but, I place brackets around anything that was only digitally reproduced or is not part of what I own. If there were no original pencils, that is noted in the misc. column (although, I am thinking of adding a code to each name, like "-d" if there is no hand-drawn version).

So far, the collection fits on a single thumb drive. I can attach it to a dongle and view it on my iPad, although, I can't get the hyperlinks working properly yet. I suspect that will just require adding Excel to the iPad, but other suggestions are welcome.

Suggestions, comments or thoughts?

On 8/8/2021 at 2:39 PM, Rick2you2 said:

I don't include a column for purchase price, since I don't care about it, 

So you're "cost basis" is zero? The IRS certainly won't mind, but maybe your spouse will?

On 8/8/2021 at 5:16 PM, vodou said:

So you're "cost basis" is zero? The IRS certainly won't mind, but maybe your spouse will?

I don’t sell, so cost to me is irrelevant. Wife? Check out what’s on Martin Luther King Jr.’s gravestone (and I don’t mean 1 Corinthians). The kids will get a step up in basis, unless the market keels over, as expected, in 20 years.

On 8/8/2021 at 6:17 PM, Rick2you2 said:

I don’t sell, so cost to me is irrelevant. Wife? Check out what’s on Martin Luther King Jr.’s gravestone (and I don’t mean 1 Corinthians). The kids will get a step up in basis, unless the market keels over, as expected, in 20 years.

I understand all that; I also understand that things can change on a dime. You're an attorney, you know too. Nonetheless, the IRS is certainly happy dealing with a zero basis. It's super easy to deal with that. All capital gains.

I just have one spreadsheet, it has a Summary Page and each Itoya Binder has its own sub-page, flowing back to the summary.

I DO keep track of what I paid, and in general what the page was really worth when I bought it.  I should go through and update them all to current pricing estimates someday.  Someday.  Dates, artists, brief description. 

Mostly for me to keep track, and for my estate executor should I get hit by a cholesterol truck.

Here's screengrabs, edited for content.  Hope that understandable.

01.jpg

02.jpg

Edited by thethedew

I have a single Google spreadsheet with a few columns:

• artist / series / description (issue / page)
  • a link to 2DG or CAF or a private Dropbox folder
  • a simple color code (black / red / orange / yellow / white) stating how attached I am to the page (of course I know it, don't need a color code... but this way I can easily sort / filter if I need an overview of what I could easily sell if need be) 
  • status (sold or not - to have a rough idea of my overall PnL / unrealized)
  • purchase date / purchase price / optionally resale price
  • estimation
  • if I have the book and / or an image of the published page

On 8/8/2021 at 8:46 PM, vodou said:

I understand all that; I also understand that things can change on a dime. You're an attorney, you know too. Nonetheless, the IRS is certainly happy dealing with a zero basis. It's super easy to deal with that. All capital gains.

So, then you also save all the receipts, which I assume you assiduously gather, as support? I can understand that for larger pieces, but stuff for a few hundred bucks, too? Let me add that I suspect this is a portion of the economy considered “underground” where non-reporting of gains is rife and the IRS’s ability to enforce is basically non-existent for the bulk of the hobbyists. Besides, even under the newest, most liberal proposals, wealth taxes below a fairly good-sized 7 figure amount will all remain exempt.

I went to a show a few years ago and there was an actor celebrity who I watched on TV for years and really liked. We struck up a conversation when he looked at me and asked what I was doing there (I don’t look like the fanboy type). In that discussion, after telling him what I did, he casually mentioned that he likes doing these shows because they generate income he doesn’t have to declare on his taxes. Not something I expected to hear from a stranger, for certain. And how many of those artists at shows are likely declaring their commission income after doing sketches? Probably the same number who worry about copyright violations whenever they do a sketch.

Heck, if my kids have any common sense, they’ll save all the art anyway, right?

On 8/9/2021 at 6:29 AM, NicoV said:

I have a single Google spreadsheet with a few columns:

• artist / series / description (issue / page)
  • a link to 2DG or CAF or a private Dropbox folder
  • a simple color code (black / red / orange / yellow / white) stating how attached I am to the page (of course I know it, don't need a color code... but this way I can easily sort / filter if I need an overview of what I could easily sell if need be) 
  • status (sold or not - to have a rough idea of my overall PnL / unrealized)
  • purchase date / purchase price / optionally resale price
  • estimation
  • if I have the book and / or an image of the published page

Interesting. Very differently oriented to mine.

On 8/9/2021 at 9:43 AM, Math Teacher said:

Here is my spreadsheet. The first 11 entries, out of a total of 147 entries. It's quite clear that I am not as meticulous as other people.

Spreadsheet.thumb.jpg.52b4b036875562f85440bbe749e683d0.jpg

No reason to be meticulous if it doesn’t meet your needs. Since your sheet shows professional grading, what else would you need?

On 8/9/2021 at 6:32 AM, Rick2you2 said:

So, then you also save all the receipts, which I assume you assiduously gather, as support?

Yes. Since my first original in July 1993 (I was 21). My father was a controller his entire career - for several companies few have heard of but one that everyone has: Frito-Lay. He explained to me that if you're going to brag about how much your comic books are "worth" (according to Overstreet "Guide") then you'll need to prove it by actually selling something for a profit. Money talks and bullxxx walks. So do the math, inclusive of all business expenses, gross and net profit, etc. Do that a number of times, where the end capital gain still beats working a Dunkin' Donuts (for $6 and hour, which I was doing at the time) and "you might just have something here after all. But prove it to me first." Like most of us this conversation was before art, when I was still doing comics (in high school), and I tracked every single transaction, buy, hold (inventory), sold. Like a business. And I flipped comics madly and profitably and paid for four years of state school undergrad myself doing that, and not being at Dunkin' Donuts :) 

I still have those old ledger books before personal computers were cheap, and every transaction for art too. Somebody on this board (I won't out them) sent me a PM a month or so ago about something they had bought from me a very long time ago. They had just re-discovered the USPS money order receipt for the transaction wherever. I pulled up the piece and replied with this:

Layouts/Pencils Finishes/Inks Title/Description Type Published Paid Date Seller Date Buyer Sold

Ne

Colon, Ernie DeZuniga, Tony (redacted) Panel Y $13 January-99 Rich & Steve Donnelly March-01 (redacted) $41 $28
Colon, Ernie DeZuniga, Tony (redacted) Panel N $13 January-99 Rich & Steve Donnelly March-01 (redacted) $41 $28

Under-reporting and tax evasion are serious crimes with serious penalties, no thanks.

But more to the point...if they come a knockin'...I've got the complete chain (provenance) of well over ten thousand transactions: "from who" - "to me" and then - "to who". So I think some of you that have bought and sold art involving me might prefer I never get handed a subpoena, eh?

Let me add that I suspect this is a portion of the economy considered “underground” where non-reporting of gains is rife...

I agree.

...the IRS’s ability to enforce is basically non-existent for the bulk of the hobbyists.

I disagree. Because of "selective prosecution" the cost:benefit analysis has a logical threshold but the bank information is all out there just waiting for a subpoena. Unless you live completely in a Cocaine Cowboys purely cash personal economy.

Cocaine Cowboys Cheat Sheet: Miami's 'Los Muchachos ...

Besides, even under the newest, most liberal proposals, wealth taxes below a fairly good-sized 7 figure amount will all remain exempt.

...on a dime.

I went to a show a few years ago and there was an actor celebrity who I watched on TV for years and really liked. We struck up a conversation when he looked at me and asked what I was doing there (I don’t look like the fanboy type). In that discussion, after telling him what I did, he casually mentioned that he likes doing these shows because they generate income he doesn’t have to declare on his taxes. Not something I expected to hear from a stranger, for certain. And how many of those artists at shows are likely declaring their commission income after doing sketches? Probably the same number who worry about copyright violations whenever they do a sketch.

You're an attorney, but more importantly you probably watch or read the news occasionally. You know how this works. One guy goes down for something, anything, maybe not even income related, and then the talking begins. And before you know there are subpoenas for bank records and twenty guys are pleading out.

Watch for the first guy. I am. He might even be someone with visibility, on a "claim" show ;) 

My fields...

Folder/Box #
Primary Artist
Primary Artist Media
Secondary Artist
Secondary Artist Media
Signed?
Title
Description
Condition notes
Image link
Provenance
Purchase Date
Acquisition Price (plus shipping and fees)
Valuation Estimate

and pieces we have to sell get moved to a similar sheet with a few more fields...
Sale Venue-Buyer
Sale Date
Sale Price (after shipping and fees)
Profit/Loss

And then I can track totals and such in another sheet -- YTD for cap gains, Valuation Estimate for insurance, etc.

I keep high-res JPGs in a folder that I link to. (In Windows, Shift-right-click on the JPG and Copy as Path. Paste that link into the "Image Link" field.) Then, I can resize these high-res JPGs to lower sizes for posting and sharing.

On 8/9/2021 at 5:32 AM, Rick2you2 said:

And how many of those artists at shows are likely declaring their commission income after doing sketches?

At least one that I know, he was audited by the IRS and had to pay up. It was painful. He is assiduous about record keeping now.

I keep my collection in a MS Word document as a set of tables. Why word? I just prefer working in it and because I have other items (text) in the same file. That was awkward in Excel. :)

I do have a matching spreadsheet in which I can place the MS Word table using copy and paste. That spreadsheet does my statistics - total spent, number of pieces by an artist, number of purchases by each source, etc..

I've never linked the portfolio location to the record in the MS Word document. I only have a few portfolios and they are labeled by content/theme so finding stuff (for me) isn't too hard. I should probably consider that.

Since all of my art is on the CAF, the title for the art has a link to that page.

Here are my headings: Title of Art    Artist    Source    Type    Price    BP    Tax    S/H    Date    Comments

On 8/10/2021 at 11:46 AM, BCarter27 said:

My fields...

Folder/Box #
Primary Artist
Primary Artist Media
Secondary Artist
Secondary Artist Media
Signed?
Title
Description
Condition notes
Image link
Provenance
Purchase Date
Acquisition Price (plus shipping and fees)
Valuation Estimate

and pieces we have to sell get moved to a similar sheet with a few more fields...
Sale Venue-Buyer
Sale Date
Sale Price (after shipping and fees)
Profit/Loss

And then I can track totals and such in another sheet -- YTD for cap gains, Valuation Estimate for insurance, etc.

I keep high-res JPGs in a folder that I link to. (In Windows, Shift-right-click on the JPG and Copy as Path. Paste that link into the "Image Link" field.) Then, I can resize these high-res JPGs to lower sizes for posting and sharing.

Just curious why you refer to them as primary artist and secondary artist? For media, are you a buyer of digital art, or is that something different?

On 8/10/2021 at 7:35 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Just curious why you refer to them as primary artist and secondary artist? For media, are you a buyer of digital art, or is that something different?

Oh, for Media, I just meant the media the art was rendered in -- pastels, oils, pencils, inks, mixed media, etc.

For comic art it could be-

Perez   pencils   Giordano   inks

or maybe-

Perez   pencil layouts   Giordano   ink finishes

Giordano   pencils and Duotone

or for a color guide-

Perez    <leave blank>    Ziuko     color dyes

or a blueline copy-

Perez    blueline stat      Giordano    inks

for illustration art-

Edwin Georgi   pastels

Dave McKean   mixed media -- collage, sculpture, digital print

etc.

In condition notes, I usually mention if the piece has Zipatone, stats, pasteups, their condition, and then page quality if not white. And any restoration notes.

I track thew following data in my spreadsheets.

I have 2 OWNED Artwork spreadsheets

1 Sorted by Date

1 Sorted by Artwork Title

The fields are

Artwork    Purchase Date    Price Paid    Asking Price    Media Type    Art Type    Penciler    Inker    Provenance

I have 2 SOLD Artwork spreadsheets

1 Sorted by Date

The fields are

Artwork    Purchase Date    Price Paid    Sold Date    Sold For    Media Type    Art Type    Profit

Edited by cmaeditor
fixed spelling

On 8/14/2021 at 9:48 AM, cmaeditor said:

I track thew following data in my spreadsheets.

I have 2 OWNED Artwork spreadsheets

1 Sorted by Date

The fields are

Artwork    Purchase Date    Price Paid    Asking Price    Media Type    Art Type    Penciler    Inker    Provenance

I have 2 SOLD Artwork spreadsheets

1 Sorted by Date

The fields are

Artwork    Purchase Date    Price Paid    Sold Date    Sold For    Media Type    Art Type    Profit

Stupid question, but why don't you have 1 spreadsheet and then sort it any way you want, why create a duplicate with a different sort order? 

Malvin