• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Key Issue? Amazing Spider-man #38 Vol 2

16 posts in this topic

I really can't think of a true key issue where a conversation comprises the key element.

The only real one that comes to mind is Daredevil #57, where Murdock reveals to Karen Page that he is Daredevil.

I really can't think of a true key issue where a conversation comprises the key element.

The only real one that comes to mind is Daredevil #57, where Murdock reveals to Karen Page that he is Daredevil.

I don't think that example helps your view. poke2.gif

I don't really view it as a key either... well, maybe a Minor key.

I would say no, not a key issue.

Agree.

If by what you mean by "key" is a book you should hoard because in the future everyone will look back on it as some major ("KEY") event, then no.

Important moment... 893scratchchin-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

No, it is far from a key issue.

Even worse, it has all the markings of a future ret-con, given that the reveal weakened the overall Spidey character dynamic and is reviled by many at Marvel for that reason.

I guarantee that in the future (if it hasn't happened already), Aunt May will get amnesia (or be revealed as a Skrull, Clone, the Chameleon, etc.) and everything will go back to normal. At that point, ASM 38 becomes virtually worthless.

No, it is far from a key issue.

Even worse, it has all the markings of a future ret-con, given that the reveal weakened the overall Spidey character dynamic and is reviled by many at Marvel for that reason.

I guarantee that in the future (if it hasn't happened already), Aunt May will get amnesia (or be revealed as a Skrull, Clone, the Chameleon, etc.) and everything will go back to normal. At that point, ASM 38 becomes virtually worthless.

You're probably right about that, JC. The only reason the reveal to Aunt May worked the first time (ASM 400) is because she died. And we all know how that worked out. yeahok.gif

The only reason the reveal to Aunt May worked the first time (ASM 400) is because she died.

There was no "reveal" in #400. She stated she knew for awhile that Peter was Spider-Man. In fact, a short story in one of the previous Annuals definitely implied she knew, or at least had a strong suspicion, well beforehand...

Jim

Yes, you are right, Peter didn't go up to his Aunt and tell her he was Spider-Man. Technically "Aunt May" revealed that she knew he was Spider-Man. The point is that she never confronted him about it (him specifically being Spider-Man) before that. Of course, there have been hints over the years that she knew (or suspected) he was Spider-Man. It really doesn't matter though, because it wasn't really Aunt May in #400.

I will be HIGHLY disappointed if there is some clone action going on here. Those stories were so pathetic!!!

I don't know, maybe I am wrong, but I feel this will be a worthy issue to have down the road. Maybe not a KEY issue, but there should be some merit given considering the "conversation". Of course this all depends that there are no amnesia or clone plots in the future!

I don't know, maybe I am wrong, but I feel this will be a worthy issue to have down the road. Maybe not a KEY issue, but there should be some merit given considering the "conversation". Of course this all depends that there are no amnesia or clone plots in the future!

If you are giving the book 'merit' on the fact that you enjoyed then fine. If you are trying to figure if this book is going to make you money in the future, then I would say definetly no. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

In fact, given the amount of screwing with the character that JMS had carried out, I wouldn't be surprised if his entire run were viewed with distain in the future.

If you are giving the book 'merit' on the fact that you enjoyed then fine. If you are trying to figure if this book is going to make you money in the future, then I would say definetly no. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

In fact, given the amount of screwing with the character that JMS had carried out, I wouldn't be surprised if his entire run were viewed with distain in the future.

I totally agree with the possiubility that this run is viewed with disdain.