• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Saddle City Comics new location grand opening
1 1

34 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2023 at 1:03 PM, piper said:

Weirdly, I've never been to Lethbridge. (shrug)

I have not been there in over 30 years since I was at a couple of Lethbridge Hurricanes main camps when I was in minor hockey, but I know a couple of local collectors that have found nice scores there the past few years as collections have surfaced. Kastner Auctions Lethbridge has some nice comic lots from time to time as well.

On 7/26/2023 at 3:50 PM, Poutine said:

It has the largest bridge over the smallest body of water

Probably in the world

People in Lethbridge want to keep their feet dry I guess.

On 7/26/2023 at 2:50 PM, Poutine said:

It has the largest bridge over the smallest body of water

Probably in the world

I stayed in Lethbridge for a week a few years ago and our hotel was right beside the bridge. It made for some spectacular scenery and photos (the one below is not mine) at sunset. And I did not see any comics there.

Lethbridge High Level Bridge - JaclyneJaye - Photography, Buildings &  Architecture, Landmarks, Other Landmarks - ArtPal

There was nothing in Lethbridge really. I checked out two stores, Showcase Comics & Hobbies which had all moderns so I didn't bother. They did recommend Pirates Cove Collectibles that had more comics but nothing really in my realm. Some oddball early Bronze and a little silver DC but all mid grade at best. Nothing piqued my interest so I left empty handed. We got to Calgary on Thursday around 4 PM so I had to rush and pick the closest store. I checked out Words & Pictures and found a few books that we reasonably priced. Not a huge selection and all priced around guide. Owner was a nice guy and was super helpful. With the Canadian to US exchange, I did okay on my purchases.

Shame, I never made it to Saddle City while this location was open. That said, I do make a habit of hitting up Purple Gorilla Comics at the Crossroads market which is fun bin diving (although the stock is looking pretty picked over as of my last visit). Haven't done any Edmonton visits since pre-Covid, but last trip I did good at Ultimate Key Issue Comics.

Back issue selection for GA through BA/CA is much better at stores in Edmonton than in Calgary. Next time you are here check out Comic Fever and Comic King in addition to Ultimate Key Issue.  Another store that might have some stuff is We Have Issues, but I am not sure what they have past BA as I have never been there.

Edited by kimik

On 8/16/2023 at 10:00 AM, kimik said:

Back issue selection for GA through BA/CA is much better at stores in Edmonton than in Calgary. Next time you are here check out Comic Fever and Comic King in addition to Ultimate Key Issue.  Another store that might have some stuff is We Have Issues, but I am not sure what they have past BA as I have never been there.

Thanks for the tip! I'm gonna be hopping over the Rockies for the Purple City music festival in a few weeks to do some DJing, so I'll check in at those spots if I have a chance. I did get a chance to check out We Have Issues last time I was in town, but didn't end up buying anything. I understand they've since moved locations. 

You can check out some of the stuff that Comic Fever has available on their website. I have not been there in a few months, but the last time I was there they were still working through a large GA and SA collection from a couple of years ago. The owner is selling it through slowly. Prices can vary, but they tend to be fair on most stuff: https://comicfever.ca/

Comic King does not keep their website up to date, but they are constantly cycling though books on the walls and in the showcase. If you like bin diving, then this is probably the best store in town as they are the most consistent with restocking. They also tend to have the best prices on back issues. http://www.comickingedmonton.com 

On 3/17/2023 at 11:30 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Love the big book display case! Good luck to the LCS!

*checks post date*

:(

On 8/17/2023 at 5:42 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I hope they do some cool giveaways at their grand opening.

:makepoint: