• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO Max's BLACK CANARY starring Jurnee Smollett (TBD)
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Fans of Jurnee Smollett’s Black Canary will get the chance to see her back in action as a project is currently being written by none other than Misha Green.

This probably shouldn’t come as any big surprise, and it’s something fans have been clamoring for since last year. Hell, while doing the press rounds as Lovecraft Country was kicking off, both Green and Smollett said they would love the chance to work together for a Black Canary series.

According to a pair of sources WB has decided to make it actually happen (which works out considering HBO passed on a second season of Green’s Lovecraft Country). While one source told me it was a Black Canary “project”—which could potentially be a series—another source was adamant the project had become a movie that would (likely) follow on from the events in Birds of Prey. Perhaps this is among the direct-to-HBO Max movies being developed for the service (like Batgirl and Blue Beetle).

When Green was asked about her writing process on Twitter, one fan replied to her tweet by asking whether she had read any Black Canary comics for inspiration. Green confirmed she is pulling inspiration from the source material. She then elaborated that research is key when working on the film.

Currently, Black Canary has no official release date as the HBO Max product is still in its early stages. While principal photography has yet to kickoff, Smollett recently spoke with ComicBook and was asked about the Black Canary film. Though she couldn't disclose new plot details, Smollett said she is excited to suit up again as the beloved DC heroine and truly explore Dinah as the leading character. Read what Smollett had to say about Black Canary:

"I'm just so incredibly excited about a number of things that I can't talk about. I mean, I'm excited, that's what I can say. I'm excited about getting to explore a lot... I feel like we've only touched the surface with Black Canary. And she's one of the dopest martial artists in the DC Universe. That is something that is a real challenge in my head that I'm just excited at the possibility of being able to explore deeper and further and wider and greater."

On 6/16/2022 at 9:00 AM, Bosco685 said:

How?

I have visions of a DCU 'Dazzler' type vibe  image.png.63fb6bfaa2410f48554d8e1c8fe47a12.png

I dunno - lots of singing scenes - random dancing - aimed at I don't really know who tbh.

I wasn't taken with her in Birds of Prey, so that may influence my thinking. The actress was ,well, - forgettable.

The only hope I have is that Misha Green has written some *very* adult stuff - and that might lift this out of the realms of ordinary.

Too many shows lately - Peacemaker / Boys / Umbrella Academy aside - have been so formulaic, and a bit boring.

I'm not seeing anything here that hasn't been done to death before - plus singing on top..

Just a gut feel Bosco.

Edited by Beige

On 6/15/2022 at 8:31 PM, Beige said:

I have visions of a DCU 'Dazzler' type vibe  image.png.63fb6bfaa2410f48554d8e1c8fe47a12.png

I dunno - lots of singing scenes - random dancing - aimed at I don't really know who tbh.

I wasn't taken with her in Birds of Prey, so that may influence my thinking. The actress was ,well, - forgettable.

The only hope I have is that Misha Green has written some *very* adult stuff - and that might lift this out of the realms of ordinary.

Too many shows lately - Peacemaker / Boys / Umbrella Academy aside - have been so formulaic, and a bit boring.

I'm not seeing anything here that hasn't been done to death before - plus singing on top..

Just a gut feel Bosco.

Seriously. Thanks for sharing.

But we are not there yet I can tell either way.