• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Watchmen: Absolute Edition

42 posts in this topic

Comics that read as 'comics' can make good movies when they successfully transition to, "real life". Seeing the "real" Supes, Bats or Spidey swinging flying or sneaking around real Metropolis, Gotham and NY are the attraction. WATCHMEN would be a silly movie about a bunch of costumed heroes fighting a mystery villain who turns out to be (you ready?) one of the team!!! wow, never saw THAT in a movie before, have we? (MISSION IMPOSSIBLE and a thousand others)

WATCHMEN would be a silly movie about a bunch of costumed heroes fighting a mystery villain who turns out to be (you ready?) one of the team!!!

I'm not so convinced it would be a turkey. The key here is that, like the comic, it would have to be a movie that is NOT a superhero film. It just happens to have "superheroes" in it. Handling this kind of material would make for a tricky balance, and you'd need a smart/skilled director at the helm. David Cronenberg could maybe do a good job with it...you'd need somebody "edgy."

The Store i looked at it in London were offering 10% off if you bought a copy with hot glue marks on the cover. Apparantly the slip of paper, describing the absolute edition, on the back has been glued onto this edition.

Don't try and peel it off 893whatthe.gif

About a Watchmen movie, I'd prefer that it not be made, because I'm convinced that Hollywood would butcher it. However, if it had to be made, one name was being mentioned as a possibility: Darren Aronofsky. I think he could do the film properly. He's finishing up "The Fountain" which is the reason he couldn't take on Watchmen, from what I can remember.

About a Watchmen movie, I'd prefer that it not be made, because I'm convinced that Hollywood would butcher it. However, if it had to be made, one name was being mentioned as a possibility: Darren Aronofsky. I think he could do the film properly. He's finishing up "The Fountain" which is the reason he couldn't take on Watchmen, from what I can remember.

You and I are on the same page, Paul. He's the first guy that popped into my head as well, but I'd prefer it stay shelved for good.

this talk of the Absolute edition made me check out the status of the movie, and apparently it's been cancelled again...this time Universal decided they didn't want to spend $100million dollars on it...

If you read the -script, you'll see they made the right call.

There's no question that if a Watchmen film were to be made, the action scenes would be doubled in size and frequency and the "quiet" portions of the book (Dr. Manhattan on Mars, Tales of the Black Freighter, the street scenes with the newspaper dealer, etc.) would be removed or given 10 seconds of screen time.

It's a very difficult book to adapt for the screen, but I gotta say, after some pretty bad versions, the latest draft by David Hayter is actually quite good. Paul Greengrass (who did Bourne Supremacy) was slated to direct, but Paramount cut the project loose during their latest regime change and Uni looked at it again only to determine that it was too costly and commercially risky to likely see any profit. Can't say I blame them (either Par or Uni) for letting this go, but it coulda been an interesting flick.

There's no question that if a Watchmen film were to be made, the action scenes would be doubled in size and frequency and the "quiet" portions of the book (Dr. Manhattan on Mars, Tales of the Black Freighter, the street scenes with the newspaper dealer, etc.) would be removed or given 10 seconds of screen time.

Id think theyd eliminate the entire Pirate comic subplot in a movie. But, while on the subjetc, did you see Sunday's episoe of ROME on HBO? 2 characters escape an island by creating a raft out of the blaoted dead bodies of their fellow soldiers!! Right out of Watchmen..or wherever Alan Moore got it from...

It's a very difficult book to adapt for the screen, but I gotta say, after some pretty bad versions, the latest draft by David Hayter is actually quite good.

Does this one still use a lame "time travel" plot instead of the original?

I'm glad I preordered the book after reading the comments about it. I usually refuse to buy reprints of comics, especially since I own the original 12 issue miniseries, but the larger size and recoloring made it desireable to me.

I ordered it from Mail Order Comics back in June for $49.00 and I should be getting it next week. I can't wait to see it.

Since they didn't reprint the -script to Watchmen #1, that makes my Grafitti hardcover worth holding onto.

Why the hell would the "absolute edition" include LESS than a the previous hardcover edition? That's idiotic.

The Grafitti hardcover doesn't reprint the whole -script either. The extras for the Absolute Edition are exactly the same as the Grafitti edition.

Since they didn't reprint the -script to Watchmen #1, that makes my Grafitti hardcover worth holding onto.

Why the hell would the "absolute edition" include LESS than a the previous hardcover edition? That's idiotic.

The Grafitti hardcover doesn't reprint the whole -script either. The extras for the Absolute Edition are exactly the same as the Grafitti edition.

yes...but now it's Absolute.

that's guarenteed to bring in the money for them for a couple years....

then they can do the Super Ultimate Edition.

I finally picked up my Watchmen: AE.

Wow! What a great job by DC on this one. Just a gorgeous book. Those extras, the proposal and character outlines in particular, were just fantastic! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif