• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulp sales discussion thread
7 7

473 posts in this topic

On 6/23/2024 at 8:58 PM, waaaghboss said:

Screenshot_20240623_185656.thumb.jpg.ef44d564ab951a520d0ae5bf6665f6c6.jpg

$860.  Decent result for a scarce book.

I watched that one (and that seller had a bunch of funky detective pulps besides the Docs).  Not surprised one bit by the result - it's a very scarce book and a solid copy.  I'd like to see inside an issue, the only thing I have in my files are covers :691460725_armsraised:

On 6/23/2024 at 8:36 PM, Darwination said:

I watched that one (and that seller had a bunch of funky detective pulps besides the Docs).  Not surprised one bit by the result - it's a very scarce book and a solid copy.  I'd like to see inside an issue, the only thing I have in my files are covers :691460725_armsraised:

Yah I took a shot at it but didn't come close.  :(  I did snag this bullet-ridden savage as a runner up prize 😆 

Screenshot_20240623_204836.thumb.jpg.d18975c48fd0eee619c3c77e8a5d3f85.jpg

On 6/3/2024 at 1:00 AM, waaaghboss said:

I think a couple conclusions might be drawn from these results.  Lower grade books, even graded, aren't garnering the frenzy they were even a year ago.  The novelty of pulp auction on HA is wearing off a bit.  I know myself I still try to watch them but the draw isn't as strong, and swapping them to the front of the comic auction rather than at the end means I've now missed the last 2.  Newer collectors drawn in by the grading and attention don't seem to be as interested in lower grade books, as some of the common stuff in mid grade is still selling for surprising numbers while other books like these spicys are going for probably what they would raw.

Higher end books still seem to get some decent numbers.  This spicy hit 2k today on ebay!  I just hope the seller does better with shipping, as his auctions last week were sent out in thin cardboard envelopes :facepalm:

Just kind of catching up on this whole thread and doing a bit of research and the conclusion I draw, is that, once again, the Dentist is hands-down smarter than everybody else. People were like "why is he selling now before they can get graded?"

Well he sold the rumor and got good prices and now the bay is filling up with incredibly greedy-priced graded pulps at 3x to 10x what they're probably worth that almost no one is buying except for a few here and there that are auctioned (and bring nowhere near the fantasy prices)  Even the usually crazy prices for common stuff at Heritage has cooled off (not for truly rare and high grade, as it probably should be). Just kinda saying what I'm seeing.

On 6/24/2024 at 8:19 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Just kind of catching up on this whole thread and doing a bit of research and the conclusion I draw, is that, once again, the Dentist is hands-down smarter than everybody else. People were like "why is he selling now before they can get graded?"

Well he sold the rumor and got good prices and now the bay is filling up with incredibly greedy-priced graded pulps at 3x to 10x what they're probably worth that almost no one is buying except for a few here and there that are auctioned (and bring nowhere near the fantasy prices)  Even the usually crazy prices for common stuff at Heritage has cooled off (not for truly rare and high grade, as it probably should be). Just kinda saying what I'm seeing.

You may also see the truly exceptional covers, even into the 50's achieving significance, It's a new day and a new market, so the sensibilities of the "old guard" become less influential. I wouldn't expect Black Monday yet. Dave may have wanted to cash out of secondary interests to capitalize on other opportunities. Reaching out to Adam discreetly might yield some answers. The good Pulps were already pricey, and Movie Hype doesn't apply. It's a different game with different players. I think you're basically seeing it right. Always read your interpretations of things. There are very few who can change my mind, you are one. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

PULP STARTLING 3-40.jpeg

I think there's a lot of wait and see going on right now.  There was a ton of excitement (and speculation), but now everybody's wondering how the market will go, figuring out the grading and effects of various trimming and resto, and as much as anything how people are liking the slabs.  I see a lot of very strong ungraded results on eBay right now which might contrast with some of the "meh" results for common books graded in the mid-grade at Heritage.

And, damn, if there isn't a lot of puzzlers happening with low, low grade stuff.  Like - why pay to have this graded? (seller blurred to protect the innocent, this showed up in my emails just now)

Screenshot(270).thumb.png.525a1c323da99452e9a39323489dcd75.png