• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raw Or Slabbed
3 3

33 posts in this topic

I'm a raw collector, mostly.  When I, uh "paused" my collecting in 1978 there was no such thing as a "slab."  Coming back to the hobby in late 2020 was like stepping out on another planet.  I have picked up just 12 slabs but lots of raws in the past 9 months.  I'm trying to buy books that are at least 8.5 (except some more mid-grade Golden Age) and as expensive as I can afford.  

I do have slabs for some of my big $ books , so I only have but 40 or so slabs. So I'm absolutely not against slabbing.  I'm just dismayed that even impartial judges for grading have deemed pressing a now "unrestored" designation. 

Be that as it may I rather now love to find high grade un manipulated books and keep them raw.

Raw.

I want to touch, smell, read and enjoy them as they were intended. 

I own a couple of slabs. I have opened twice as many. As I don't intend to sell yet, I'm confident I can protect my hobby with available archival material.

It helps that I'm confident in my grading skills. Whenever I buy it doesn't matter if it's certified or not. I will attain the best book for my dollar.

Edited by grendelbo

On 8/24/2021 at 12:47 AM, oakman29 said:

I do have slabs for some of my big $ books , so I only have but 40 or so slabs. So I'm absolutely not against slabbing.  I'm just dismayed that even impartial judges for grading have deemed pressing a now "unrestored" designation. 

Be that as it may I rather now love to find high grade un manipulated books and keep them raw.

Yup

I assume every slabbed book has had at least one trip to the CGC massage parlour, and have zero interest in them for that reason.  Nothing exciting about a 9.0 that gets restored to a 9.8

I basically just look for raw OO books of my childhood faves.:cloud9:

I like collecting SA/BA/CA comics raw, unless there's something from those eras that is signed or hard to find.  Then I’ll buy slabbed, but I don’t pay for the ‘speculated’ comics.  Right now I’m working on collecting raw newsstand copies of 1st series Spider-Woman.  I may get them graded, I may not.  I’m not happy with the grading market these days, so raw is just fine with me. 🙂

I get either as long as I’m comfortable with the price. Selling slabs is easier since the grade is noted and a buyer knows what they’re getting but a properly graded raw can get you just as much if the book is desirable enough. Buying is also more favorable in raws, especially if you’re confident in your grading skills as you can find your acceptable range cheaper