• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shame on me? A little help.

21 posts in this topic

So I bought a book from comic-keys (though I haven't sent payment just yet)...No no wait keep reading. I know he's the subject of great controversy but look at the scans to help me out a bit.

front:

48ff1005.jpg

back:

48ffback.jpg

So here's the deal, since I'm obviously a novice and discovered the negative publicity about this seller about 24 hours too late, can the knowledgeable collectors on this board tell me whether they think this has been trimmed or restored.

Look at this lower right corner: Don't you think it's too square to be true ?

I don't say that this book is restored, but if i owned a comic like that, knowing that it was not restored, i would have certainly submitted it to CGC.

here's the thing about C-K:

he will always give you your money back, no questions. especially if you sub it to CGC and it comes back PLOD.

so he's an honest thief, kind of like a twisted Scarlet Pimpernel or something

Yeah but rather than go through all the shananigans of sending money getting the book and the requesting a refund, I'd rather just pull out of the transaction. I haven't sent money yet. The more I looked at it last night the more uncomfortable I felt after I won the auction. Nevertheless, in a euphoric state, I posted pics on CPG only to have people give me the skinny on how many restored and trimmed books come from this seller.

Now I'm in a bind as to how to proceed with the transaction.

Back out of the deal - inform him that upon finding out about his reputation for selling restored and/or trimmed books you no longer feel comfortable completing the transaction.

I agree - what's the damage of backing out? A neg from C-K? You can wear it like a badge! 27_laughing.gif

Thanks for the input everybody. I'm relieved that you guys enlightened me before I went and paid. That would have been a fiasco requiring me to wait for the book and then send it right back. Now I can at least back out now and maybe even get him to mutally back out without retaliatory negative feedback.

I've learned my lesson on raw key books. I'll definitely be more careful in the future.

Thanks for the input everybody. I'm relieved that you guys enlightened me before I went and paid. That would have been a fiasco requiring me to wait for the book and then send it right back. Now I can at least back out now and maybe even get him to mutally back out without retaliatory negative feedback.

I've learned my lesson on raw key books. I'll definitely be more careful in the future.

Not all raw books, just certain sellers! Know who your buying from!(thumbs up

here's the thing about C-K:

he will always give you your money back, no questions. especially if you sub it to CGC and it comes back PLOD.

so he's an honest thief, kind of like a twisted Scarlet Pimpernel or something

If he gets caught he'll give you your money bcak...

That makes an honest thief? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Just comparing it to my copy..there's another half a window on the building

in the rear that seems missing on this copy...Also, the Thing is fully shown;

there's actually some space to the right of him....

I agree... just looked at mine and there should be a third of a window to make six. The bottom is also seriously trimmed! I would say by almost an eighth of an inch!

Good call guys thumbsup2.gif

He probably read this and got the gist of your transaction before you did....... smirk.gif

I owned 6 copies of that book, now 4, and I can say that the feet on the Thing and the Watcher are all over the place on them and I've carefully compared the sizes ---doesn't look like any trimming was done.

with that said, the corner looks too perfect. and if it's perfect, why didn't he slab it?

I bought an Avengers #4 and a Spidey #55 from CK roughly three years ago. They BOTH came back as a PLOD's. He avoided me and put me off until I basically threatened to hound him to the ends of E-bay. (And I would've too). This guy is a thief who feeds on newbies and the uninitiated. I wouldn't send him payment under any circumstance. Learn from me and you'll save your hard earned money.

Oh yeah he did eventually send me my money back but it took 6 months.