• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WEREWOLF BY NIGHT starring Gael Garcia Bernal (2022)
5 5

182 posts in this topic

On 11/5/2022 at 4:46 PM, PovertyRow said:

Sorry to keep on about WWBN Special Presentation but...there is an interesting parallel with the 1941 THE WOLF MAN. 
In WWBN Elsa returns to her family estate for her legacy after her father is killed. In THE WOLF MAN, Lawrence Talbot returns to his family estate for his long denied legacy (he was the 2nd elder son) after his brother John, the elder son, is killed in a hunting accident.

Also regarding the werewolf makeup, I had previously alluded to its similarity to the Universal 1935 WEREWOLF OF LONDON. In that movie Henry Hull (the werewolf) talked with makeup artist Jack Pierce about the werewolf makeup and suggested his face be kept recognizable, just as we have in Jack's makeup in WWBN. 

Just a couple of quick Povservations.

It was very odd to see such under-done special effects with the face, it obviously was a definite nod to earlier genre references.  

Even Man-thing had a certain look.  The keep it, stylistically simplistic, Jim Henson era peak of costumes.   

On 12/9/2022 at 8:36 PM, Hawkman said:

I'm not sure what this is about? Is it a horror film? Kinda wanna check it out, but it hasn't grabbed my interests.

I highly recommend it. It`s not even a hour. If you like those old Universal monsters movies with Karloff, Lugosi and Chaney Jr, than you probably like it. The best thing from Marvel this year. It won't bore you. Look forward to your review if you see it. :wishluck:

On 12/9/2022 at 5:36 PM, Hawkman said:

I'm not sure what this is about? Is it a horror film? Kinda wanna check it out, but it hasn't grabbed my interests.

On 12/9/2022 at 6:30 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

I highly recommend it. It`s not even a hour. If you like those old Universal monsters movies with Karloff, Lugosi and Chaney Jr, than you probably like it. The best thing from Marvel this year. It won't bore you. Look forward to your review if you see it. :wishluck:

To quote Dwight Frye as Renfield in the original Universal 1931 DRACULA: "Be guided by what HE says!"

On 12/9/2022 at 5:36 PM, Hawkman said:

It is and it isn't. It is pretty unique and has a few Marvel characters in it, just not the typical superhero characters. At 52 minutes it is well worth the watch. Hell, at 200 minutes it would be well worth the watch!

And if you DO watch it an interesting aside - the majority of the special effects are practical and not CGI.

On 12/9/2022 at 6:36 PM, Hawkman said:

I am of the same mind-set since most of the Marvel streaming content has been meh and formulaic so far like the rest of Phase 4.....

Edited by kimik

On 12/11/2022 at 4:01 AM, kimik said:

I am of the same mind-set since most of the Marvel streaming content has been meh and formulaic so far like the rest of Phase 4.....

Take the time, this is a solid 8+.   I've shown it to non comic friends, and they were in pure agreement, it is just great viewing.

Edited by Microchip

On 12/9/2022 at 6:30 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

Ok, that sells it for me. I have three days off every week, so i'll check it out this weekend.

On 9/15/2023 at 9:53 AM, Bosco685 said:

I watched the Claude Rains, Lon Chaney 'The Wolf Man' this week, and the comparisons are there to be seen, and wonderfully so.   I personally loved the noir release of WWBN, a true tribute to the genre, and the classic era of movies, and movie stars.  

Watching artists as opposed to celebrities was refreshing.