• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WEREWOLF BY NIGHT starring Gael Garcia Bernal (2022)
5 5

182 posts in this topic

2135493098_ScreenShot2022-10-08at11_08_40AM.thumb.png.5be8961468432e3af82c874e46df0f67.png

Though this isn't a high number of reviews and ratings, it's nice to see a MCU project get generally liked by both the critics and the crowd, as opposed to the more mixed reactions and/or "controversy" that recent MCU outings like Thor Love and Thunder and the excellent She-Hulk Attorney at Law have had. I feel it's been a while since a MCU project has been universally liked, I guess since Spider-Man No Way Home. And yeah, I know there's some dubious reasons for that, but I digress.

While I have throughly enjoyed the at times more quirky and at times expansive directions that Marvel Studios has taken with some of its stories lately, I think comic book stories still need a good old fashioned simple yarn that the action movie crowd can sink their teeth into, without being too meta, cute, clever, or deep. Kinda like WWBN. Maybe for the future, Marvel will recognize the need to dial back the cleverness a bit and start simplifying some of their stories again. The "no holds barred" action movie crowd is still a large part of the MCU's fan base, and Marvel needs to keep them happy i.e. Moon Knight probably should have had more action and less cleverness.

This was a fun show, I really liked it. My only criticism is that the actress playing Elsa must have went to the Kristen Stewart School of Acting. Elsa’s portrayal was flat and didn’t really stand out. 

Pretty decent, and I very much appreciate we are getting some shorter stand alone properties. Being 55 minutes was perfect, and worth a star just for that and pretty much excuses any complaints I might have with it since they kept it short and sweet. Jack looked perfect, as did Man-Thing (for the most part). I think the only thing I didn't enjoy was the same-old MCU fight scenes with the hunters.

My biggest wish though would have been that they actually went all the way with the old film aesthetic though, as it just felt they stopped short of embracing it. Almost as if they thought being black & white was enough (the changeover cues were nice inclusion, but if you are going to do them why not actually do them accurately? also really would have benefited from heavier grain and occasional audio pops). Like the use of practical effects, but was surprised with the CGI not being all that great and as a result often fought against the old look they were going for - I initially expected that any poor CGI would be hidden better by the B&W approach, but was surprised how much more it stuck out due to lighting (more grain would have certainly helped with this). 

On 10/8/2022 at 5:58 PM, Sauce Dog said:

My biggest wish though would have been that they actually went all the way with the old film aesthetic though, as it just felt they stopped short of embracing it. Almost as if they thought being black & white was enough (the changeover cues were nice inclusion, but if you are going to do them why not actually do them accurately? also really would have benefited from heavier grain and occasional audio pops). Like the use of practical effects, but was surprised with the CGI not being all that great and as a result often fought against the old look they were going for - I initially expected that any poor CGI would be hidden better by the B&W approach, but was surprised how much more it stuck out due to lighting (more grain would have certainly helped with this). 

I understand what you mean with the old film aesthetic, however, remember those Universal Studios monster movies were shot on clean high quality 35mm film and screened at first run theaters. The grainy defective film look is more a result of low budget films that used poor lighting or shot on 16mm film, and that screened well worn prints at second and third run theaters, the Grindhouse theater look. Marvel was going for the classic Universal film look which we’re still high budget productions. The remastered 4K prints of Dracula or Frankenstein today are a closer presentation of how they looked originally, as opposed to the scratchy old film look aesthetic.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 10/8/2022 at 8:42 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I understand what you mean with the old film aesthetic, however, remember those Universal Studios monster movies were shot on clean high quality 35mm film and screened at first run theaters. The grainy defective film look is more a result of low budget films that used poor lighting or shot on 16mm film, and that screened well worn prints at second and third run theaters, the Grindhouse theater look. Marvel was going for the classic Universal film look which we’re still high budget productions. The remastered 4K prints of Dracula or Frankenstein today are a closer presentation of how they looked originally, as opposed to the scratchy old film look aesthetic.

That is very true, I just got the vibe they waned to replicate the feel of how many experience & remember these films now, like an exaggerated trope of a bygone era of dirty transfers and 'lesser' hardware - most won't get that proper 35mm restorations / first run reels will looks very crisp (in fact lots of people at the screeners my wife puts on are often surprised things look good for old movies). 

I saw some of the reviews here before watching on Saturday. I thought it was ok. I'm not sure what I missed that people loved so much. It was entertaining and fun but I'll probably never watch again (which is how I determine if I loved it or not)

On 10/10/2022 at 11:04 AM, jsilverjanet said:

I saw some of the reviews here before watching on Saturday. I thought it was ok. I'm not sure what I missed that people loved so much. It was entertaining and fun but I'll probably never watch again (which is how I determine if I loved it or not)

I've not seen a show since Squid Game that I'd want to watch again and there has been a lot of great shows and movies over the last couple years.  I thought it didn't take itself too serious and felt more like a comic in the way it was meant as disposable entertainment that hit all the right notes.  Not fantastic in any way shape but it just felt fun which is what a lot of shows have been missing lately.

Edited by 1Cool

On 10/10/2022 at 1:15 PM, 1Cool said:

Not fantastic in any way shape but it just felt fun which is what a lot of shows have been missing lately.

i suspect this might be the reason why it was so well received. it was nice and short and didn't take itself too seriously. kinda like me

On 10/8/2022 at 11:10 PM, Mmanick said:

I really liked the show. Wish it would have showed a bit more jack Russel werewolf by night but I'll take it. I'd say it's the best marvel tv show produced. 

Felt the same about not really digging into Jack or the WWBN mythos. But still tremendous fun, great b&w (LOVE b&w) with a German Expressionist feel reflecting, too, the old Universal Monster films with the impressive sets, moody lighting and shooting angles. Quite a surprise that got my old heart beating. 

I cannot add any more to what has already been said about Man-Thing. Now THAT was quite a surprising and remarkably effective rendition. Ted came across perfectly in b&w. Loved the humor between Jack and Ted as well. My only regret being it is a one-shot. Hopefully the critical and audience response will encourage a follow-up.

Edited by PovertyRow
minor spilling...err...spelling

On 10/10/2022 at 12:15 PM, PovertyRow said:

Felt the same about not really digging into Jack or the WWBN mythos. But still tremendous fun, great b&w (LOVE b&w) with a German Expressionist feel reflecting, too, the old Universal Monster films with the impressive sets, moody lighting and shooting angles. Quite a surprise that got my old heart beating. 

I cannot add nay moe to what has already been said about Man-Thing. Now THAT was quite a surprising and remarkably effective rendition. Ted came across perfectly in b&w. Loved the humor between Jack and Ted as well. My only regret being it is a one-shot. Hopefully the critical and audience response will encourage a follow-up.

I agree with the one shot part. A few more episodes focused on jack and how he came to be wwbn would have been cool. A bit of who man thing (Ted) is and what he is. A little of blade would have been cool to. I liked that it didn't have any overpowering all males need to be weak, political stances just a fun show.

On 10/10/2022 at 4:37 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

you actually watched it and have that question?!

I admit to missing the first 15 minutes due to a video playback issue, once I got it working i didn't start from the beginning.  I will re-watch it if I can get the beginning to play. :P

*** Got it to work, thanks.

Edited by Artboy99