• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WEREWOLF BY NIGHT starring Gael Garcia Bernal (2022)
5 5

182 posts in this topic

On 10/14/2022 at 12:52 AM, PovertyRow said:

As far as Jack's werewolf appearance, I found it rather reminiscent of Henry Hull's portrayal in the Universal 1935 Werewolf of London, as opposed to Universal's 1941 The Wolf Man with Chaney.

Here is that 1935Universal werewolf:

werewolf or london 1935.jpg

Also a bit reminiscent of Oliver Reed in 1961’s Curse of the Werewolf.

725F4218-6AD9-4F00-8A19-4B94A9757F57.jpeg.426481cb5f49455580e637db31f589db.jpeg

Edited by Jayman

On 10/13/2022 at 9:48 AM, The Commissioner said:

I think it would be fun if they made a new episode every Halloween. 

I would absolutely LOVE for them to show this much restraint and only use these characters for limited special presentations.

There isn't any reason they have to shoehorn every single character introduced into the movies and shows, nor should many of them even get that much time or exploration, so keeping some of these characters as 'special treats' we get to look forward to rather than milking them dry in the short term would be a welcome change of pace. I think all of us would look forward to Man-Thing-Month every year.

On 10/17/2022 at 4:40 AM, D84 said:

Gotta say, this is the one thing in phase 4 I've liked. 

It was good.

I had just watched episode 9 of She-hulk, and the only part was the intro in the 80's style Bill Bixby TV series.  That kind of prepped me for Werewolf by Night nicely.  

On 10/11/2022 at 2:37 AM, Bosco685 said:

Critics are loving it!

WBN_Review01.thumb.PNG.f3fdbb63db0766ebac66d3639fdc5943.PNG

This show's you they know what they're doing with She-hulk.  All the troll's complaining it's not this or that, are completely missing the point.  It's not trying to be anything else that what it is... which is... really hard to explain in a complimentary way :roflmao:

While Hammer and Universal seemed to be in cahoots, that did not happen until 1958. Hammer had released Frankenstein and Dracula films with tremendous hedging, manuevering and legal wrangling to avoid being sued by Universal. After the 1958 Dracula was a worldwide hit, Universal and Hammer came to an agreement and Universal opened their vault of classic monsters to Hammer.

Interestingly, one thing I always noticed about the Universal and Hammer werewolves was the fangs - always prominent on the LOWER jaw: aka an underbite. Even as a kid I was fascinated with this werewolf underbite.

The current WWBN gives the werewolf an overbite instead.  Does that bother me? Not really. It just looks a bit odd to my Uni/Hammer eye. But I still love the beast!

werewolf fangs thru history.png

Just a passing thought. On my several-ist rewatching I realized the opening narration referred to "this is where monsters dwell". Not sure how I missed that BUT it must have been added intentionally. For those who may not know, Where Monsters Dwell was a 38 issue horror revival title from Marvel from 1970-1975. I wonder if this could be a hook into future type one-shots?

On 10/21/2022 at 6:06 AM, Jayman said:

Reading through this thread again. Just for you POV, a page I have from Unexpected #194. The story is titled Moonlight and Laughter starring Madame Xanadu. Jess Jodloman is the artist. Werewolves galore! :x

Unexpected # 194 Page 21.jpg

Thanks Jay. I just pulled my copy and read it through. Fun read and that werewolf story was the best of them. Especially glad to see it was a Madame Xanadu story, my favorite DC Supernatural character!

Add me to the list of those who really enjoyed this. A breath of fresh air for the MCU and really hoping it opens the doors to similar content but only if creators are allowed to take chances/have control and actually entertain us. More Marvel Monsters please!

Ahh, my fixation with WWBN continues. I am totally fascinated by this little gem. I was saddened to note a continuity issue of major proportion. It also shows up in a couple of other places. Note the cage top.

Spoiler

1366448649_wwbnmovie-beforeaftercagetop.thumb.png.6b90104e3d8258b293f2420463d699a8.png

Edited by PovertyRow

Well here I go again with another mini observation of WWBN. This time that theme. It reminded me of another theme but dang is I could remember, until a flash of clarity struck!  Despite this and the cage issue (previous post) WWBN remains one of my all time favorite entries.

First Werewolf By Night 

Then I Robot

On 10/26/2022 at 7:09 AM, PovertyRow said:

Well here I go again with another mini observation of WWBN. This time that theme. It reminded me of another theme but dang is I could remember, until a flash of clarity struck!  Despite this and the cage issue (previous post) WWBN remains one of my all time favorite entries.

First Werewolf By Night 

Then I Robot

Not to be that guy, but doesn't dramatic movie music follow a pretty well established set of rules?

On 10/25/2022 at 1:54 PM, Microchip said:

Not to be that guy, but doesn't dramatic movie music follow a pretty well established set of rules?

Not being a composer I honestly cannot say. But I am a musician and melodically (aka pitch and rhythm) speaking there is a real brain tweaking between the two. This is less a dis and more an observation. (thumbsu