• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Incredible Hulk 181 Grade is in!
3 3

26 posts in this topic

On 8/27/2021 at 6:17 PM, Funnybooks said:

I tend to grade conservative. The spine is the most apparent area of defect(s). Small tear lower edge BC. Some minor staining/foxing BC. Corners slightly soft. With that said, I would not be shocked if it came back a 7.5 or even 8.0 on a good day 

I appreciate the detail. Thank for the quick reply.

On 8/27/2021 at 4:17 PM, Funnybooks said:

I tend to grade conservative. The spine is the most apparent area of defect(s). Small tear lower edge BC. Some minor staining/foxing BC. Corners slightly soft. With that said, I would not be shocked if it came back a 7.5 or even 8.0 on a good day 

hugh-jackman-yes.gif.5d2ef39d6f00e241e4e57155b79159e9.gif

What he said.

Also, this copy fits CGC's standards for the grade range -

VF-
7.5 An above-average collectible with a moderate defect or an accumulation of small defects.
FN/VF
7.0 An above-average collectible with a major defect or an accumulation of small defects.

On 8/27/2021 at 8:55 PM, candygramformongo said:

I'm going to buck the trend and say I think this could be an 8.0.  Has this been your copy for a while or recent purchase?  What a beaut, thanks for sharing it!

Thanks! It was in a collection that was purchased last year.

On 8/27/2021 at 8:00 PM, grendelbo said:

What he said.

Also, this copy fits CGC's standards for the grade range -

VF-
7.5 An above-average collectible with a moderate defect or an accumulation of small defects.
FN/VF
7.0 An above-average collectible with a major defect or an accumulation of small defects.

Hehe. I assume you believe this standard is out of the question then…

8.0 VF An attractive collectible with a moderate defect or an accumulation of small defects.hm

I really hope this isn’t what the new graders are using for grading comics. :whatthe:

On 8/27/2021 at 8:54 PM, ChrispyC66 said:

Hehe. I assume you believe this standard is out of the question then…

8.0 VF An attractive collectible with a moderate defect or an accumulation of small defects.hm

I really hope this isn’t what the new graders are using for grading comics. :whatthe:

Since CGC has never really revealed their grading standards, we in this hobby have to reverse engineer their grading criteria. It comes down to figuring out how they weigh defects and what defects are considered slight, minor, moderate, major, severe or extreme.

Of course it's not an exact science. Their published standards, as we have quoted them, at first seem really vague. And they absolutely are vague. But still, if you can observe the defects on a book and figure out their weight or significance along with how accumulated they are, their standards make sense and you can make an educated guess on where the grade will land.

Knowing other grading standards like Overstreet and what flaws are acceptable in any grade range is also important.

While almost any copy of IH181 is attractive, by their standards it is not. This copy would have to have a moderate defect or a small accumulation of minor ones. Because of the spine and corners, mainly, this falls into a lower grade range. It has a greater accumulation of smaller defects. Probably not VF, but VF- or that cusp of VF/FN.

Grade it and I could be totally wrong though. Today I nailed one guess with a reveal and missed the other by -0.5. The thing is, you never know with CGC. Submit the same book 3 times and you could very well get a 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0.

Edited by grendelbo