• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what percentage of bronze books look right?

10 posts in this topic

.......seems to me as i look through my bronze age collection that nearly all the books either have a back cover wrapping round the front, staples mis-aligned, books mis-cut, off-centred...or some other printer type flaw......................

......am i just really bad at finding quality books or are most bronze age books so shodily put together...................???

..........even the so-called high grade cgc books on ebay seem to suffer from this...........

Virtually none of my Bronze Age books have this problem, and the reason a majority of CGC books seem to have it is that it's easier to get high-grades with a white spine than it is with a black one. Since CGC doesn't downgrade for printing defects, it's a no-brainer that these are highly submitted.

Now as for why your personal collection has printing defects, if you bought them off the news stand, I have no clue. I have stacks and stacks of Bronze and I can count the "big white border" comics on my hands.

........i do have some decent looking books............ grin.gif

.......but no, i didn't buy any of the ones i have now from the news-stand, the ones i had as a kid are long gone................ frown.gif

........the worst problem, maybe 50% of the books i have display is that annoying diagonal strip of colour above the marvel comics group logo.......... mad.gif

"Since CGC doesn't downgrade for printing defects, it's a no-brainer that these are highly submitted."

I'm sure they do, but maybe not to the degree some collectors prefer. Off-centered covers bother some collectors a lot more than others, and some will downgrade significantly. It should be interesting to see how the new Overstreet guide will categorize this defect. I don't think the first grading guide covered this defect enough (or they were way off base).

I met Steve at a Paradise comic convention in Toronto a while ago (maybe his first time in Toronto?) and he told me they grade comics from different eras differently - one factor being the printing/binding process from the particular era.

I don't know how they factor off-centering into the grade, but they will knock down a book if it has bindery tears on the corners (which to me are more significant than off-centering). I also submitted a 2 copies of Marvel Chillers #1 a while time ago - one came back a 9.4 and the other a 9.2 noting 'slight mis-cut'. The 9.2 had a better spine and corners than the 9.4 so I'm guessing the downgrade came from the mis-cut.

"It sure would be nice if CGC would just tell us their standards insted of making us have to guess."

Doubtful they will....your avatar image is mesmerizing, not that I'm complaining grin.gif