• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Graders notes ??
1 1

7 posts in this topic

You can't go by the notes.  The notes are just CGC internal grader-to-grader notes.  They are not meant to be all inclusive of any defects that a comic may have.  They could be meant to point out something that a grader observed that the next one might miss.

If there was an obvious defect, like a 3 inch diagonal crease or a subscription crease, it might not even get noted.  Because you can't miss it.  The notes are not meant to be a full assessment of defects on a comic. 

It wouldn't be hard to have the notes tell the whole story, probably could be somewhat automated, but CGC has yet to make a move in that direction.  Maybe they are purposely vague, so people don't have specific point to argue about with them.

On 9/1/2021 at 4:32 PM, Lightning55 said:

You can't go by the notes.  The notes are just CGC internal grader-to-grader notes.  They are not meant to be all inclusive of any defects that a comic may have.  They could be meant to point out something that a grader observed that the next one might miss.

If there was an obvious defect, like a 3 inch diagonal crease or a subscription crease, it might not even get noted.  Because you can't miss it.  The notes are not meant to be a full assessment of defects on a comic.

Bing Bang Boom Snapping GIF - Bing Bang Boom Snapping Just Like That -  Discover & Share GIFs

On 9/1/2021 at 1:32 PM, Lightning55 said:

It wouldn't be hard to have the notes tell the whole story, probably could be somewhat automated, but CGC has yet to make a move in that direction.  Maybe they are purposely vague, so people don't have specific point to argue about with them.

Your final sentence is the absolute truth. I recently received a book that’s was graded 9.6. Shockingly I received grader notes. However the notes almost certain reveal that the grader mistook elements of the cover art for damages. And upon inspection I’m 100% positive this was the case. Funny thing I strongly suspect this book was graded by someone who was new. First, because they obviously didn’t know to examine stock images of the cover art, but more so because they made notes available for a 9.6. Without the notes it’s all speculation as to the grade, possible within the guts of the book. 

truth be told I don’t blame CGC for actively avoiding giving notes to the customer. 

On 9/1/2021 at 4:32 PM, Lightning55 said:

The notes are just CGC internal grader-to-grader notes.  They are not meant to be all inclusive of any defects that a comic may have.  They could be meant to point out something that a grader observed that the next one might miss.

Absolutely. And the notes can also be used to explain why that grader gave the book a certain grade...

On 9/18/2021 at 10:37 AM, Gaard said:

Just received a batch of 7 silver-age. Six of them have "light spine stress lines to cover". Word for word. It's probably a good thing I'm not a cynical person. Or am I? B|

If those are the only notes, that may be a good thing...  (shrug)