• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT-Very sick cat...what would you guys do?

103 posts in this topic

yeah, nm, i'm sorry too. one of our cats had a similar thing happen - stopped eating for a while, went through a lot of weight loss rapidly before leveling off - and was recently diagnosed with cancer.

she's 10 and a half, and the sweetest thing. the wife and i are debating chemo, and whether or not this would appreciably extend her lifespan or increase the quality of her life, as she seems to not be in any pain.

again, sorry about your loss

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. We lost our other cat to cancer two years ago. As hard as that was, the blow was softened a bit because we still had another cat at home. This time, the house feels very, very empty.

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. We lost our other cat to cancer two years ago. As hard as that was, the blow was softened a bit because we still had another cat at home. This time, the house feels very, very empty.

depends on how you feel about it.

you can always go down to the locale shelter and adopt a cute kitty

to help put a bandaid on the situtation.

I know it will not replace your other buddy, butgiving a lonely christmas kitty a home could help

depending on how you feel about it.

flowerred.gif

depends on how you feel about it.

you can always go down to the locale shelter and adopt a cute kitty

to help put a bandaid on the situtation.

I know it will not replace your other buddy, butgiving a lonely christmas kitty a home could help

depending on how you feel about it.

flowerred.gif

Yeah, I'm ready to go get a new cat right away. But my wife won't be ready for several months.

Hi Jeff.

I really feel for you.

I lost my best friend in 1994 at the age of 16.His name was Jason.He was a cockerspanial.On his gravesite I put the words,

In proud memory of my best friend,who taught me all the love and humanity that i have for all living things.

I hope you can find a little comfort in knowing you are not alone.

You will meet your little friend again some day,but until than we are here to help support you.Stay strong for him,yourself and you family.He was strong for you wasnt he.Wasnt he there when you needed him most?Be strong for him now.He loved you[only like a pet can]and he wants you to go on.So honor him by doing what you know would please him.Be strong and survive in the comfort of all your friends support.Thats what he would want for you.Right now you think of your pet and you cry,but mark my words as time passes a day will come when you will think of your friend and your gonna smile.youll see.

you will meet again.

Peter

sorry about the bad news, Jeff. at least he survived the initial scare and you had him for another couple of months. a new kitten would be a great idea and in no way diminishes the love and respect you had for your animal............................

This is probably the best place to put it, but any cat owners should go to a pet dentist for a cleaning and possible extraction at least once. Infections can start in the teeth and if left unchecked, will go to other parts of their body. We recently took one of our cats (he's 7) and 8-10 teeth had already fallen out and only four teeth could be saved (the rest were infected). Our other cat is going early next year. The dentist recommends once per year. We did not know about that and was not told by our vet either.

Some telltale signs of an infection:

- bad breath (cats are NOT supposed to have bad breath! could be a sign of early teeth infection)

- change in behavior or appetite (our one cat didn't like hard food and we found out why - it hurt his infected teeth - he eats a lot more hard food now)

- see if you hear him/her crunching with their back teeth when eating or having difficulty with eating in general

I figure we just gave our cat a longer lifespan. Just something to keep in mind. thumbsup2.gif