• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

please help me decide which HOF 4 to keep!
2 2

31 posts in this topic

Raze, I don't think your B copy has been trimmed at all, not the top nor the width.  Your display obviously shows the widths of both books as practically equal.  I can't tell any height difference from your scans, but another method is to identify something on the lower part of the book, vs the space between the uppermost lettering and the top edge.

In this case, I see that Feldstein's signature box is higher on A than B, and the upper "margin" between the "Here are tales" line is shorter than that of B.  Are both books equal in height?

On 9/5/2021 at 2:01 PM, fifties said:

Raze, I don't think your B copy has been trimmed at all, not the top nor the width.  Your display obviously shows the widths of both books as practically equal.  I can't tell any height difference from your scans, but another method is to identify something on the lower part of the book, vs the space between the uppermost lettering and the top edge.

In this case, I see that Feldstein's signature box is higher on A than B, and the upper "margin" between the "Here are tales" line is shorter than that of B.  Are both books equal in height?

With the spine roll on copy A its hard to tell, but they are roughly the same. 

Putting two copies of the same book together doesn't really answer the trimming issue. It's interesting for sure! But we've seen copies of the same issue before with wildly different widths, heights and even miscuts. 

Agreed that the front cover of Copy B falling short of the edge is not a slamdunk. I'm more concerned about the top edge back cover, which to my eye doesn't look straight. There's also some strangeness on the back cover with multiple vertical creases parallel to the spine... it kind of looks like someone tried to fix a miswrap and that the original spine crease was rejiggered over to the back. (Again, I don't know that that's what happened. Just throwing out speculation.)

And, point taken about not selling these prematurely... I didn't mean to suggest they were junk or anything, only that if you're iffy on both perhaps there's a third copy out there that would hit the sweet spot even if it had a similar technical grade. They're both cool books to be sure. (thumbsu

One more scenario... It's also possible the cover to B could be married. Whether that's true or not it does look to me like the book may have been disassembled at some point.

On 9/4/2021 at 11:04 PM, Point Five said:

Sorry guys, the second copy certainly looks like it has cover trimming. Top cover edge looks too straight on the front, and not straight enough on the back. Pages are fanned on the back, but front right cover edge is short instead of overhanging. Etc, etc.

I know this sounds snobby but if you can I'd sell both copies and find a solid lower grade you'll be happy with. 

^^