• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

please help me decide which HOF 4 to keep!
2 2

31 posts in this topic

On 9/4/2021 at 8:08 PM, Funnybooks said:

Distilled to the most basic essence...I think we may be spending too much time around here

tumblr_lximpwbKiT1qj9blu.gif.6328097f76c6a63479e8ba6cda25c10e.gif

48d57269fc21077bbe284bec0a4e5a65.gif.6d9145c014d0f5e3c8e840379ee69066.gif

Edited by grendelbo

On 9/4/2021 at 9:04 PM, Point Five said:

Sorry guys, the second copy certainly looks like it has cover trimming. Top cover edge looks too straight on the front, and not straight enough on the back. Pages are fanned on the back, but front right cover edge is short instead of overhanging. Etc, etc.

the-one-he-is-the-one.gif.9745e8b2f59e8a45ef345a5d57846b66.gif

On 9/4/2021 at 8:47 PM, OtherEric said:

I'm afraid that doesn't work for me, though; since @Razeand I generally give one another first refusal on our respective EC undercopies...

Which is why I'm making a point of not expressing a preference, as well.

Ah, I see.  

It's a tough one - it would be easy if in fact one is trimmed.

I like copy A better. 

Easiest way to determine if B was trimmed at the top might be to simply place it on top of A, and see if A is taller.  For width, put one under the other, aligning the vertical black line that defines where the spine is, so they are even.

To determine if the pages have been trimmed, open it up to the center where the staples are, and lay it flat.  If the left (front) pages fan, it's original.  If they are all cut the same, it's likely been trimmed.

Here's mine as a comparison, also a low grader.

Haunt of Fear 4.jpg

On 9/5/2021 at 8:36 AM, fifties said:

To determine if the pages have been trimmed, open it up to the center where the staples are, and lay it flat.  If the left (front) pages fan, it's original.  If they are all cut the same, it's likely been trimmed.

Haunt of Fear 4.jpg

The best explanation of how to detect trimming I've yet come across, which I'm noting for future reference! Thank you.  

On 9/4/2021 at 11:04 PM, Point Five said:

Sorry guys, the second copy certainly looks like it has cover trimming. Top cover edge looks too straight on the front, and not straight enough on the back. Pages are fanned on the back, but front right cover edge is short instead of overhanging. Etc, etc.

I know this sounds snobby but if you can I'd sell both copies and find a solid lower grade you'll be happy with. 

This. Get the money from both and buy the best copy you can

On 9/5/2021 at 3:36 AM, fifties said:

I like copy A better. 

Easiest way to determine if B was trimmed at the top might be to simply place it on top of A, and see if A is taller.  For width, put one under the other, aligning the vertical black line that defines where the spine is, so they are even.

Haunt of Fear 4.jpg

I’m not suggesting the whole book is trimmed; only the cover. And while the thinking is good, most GA books are fragile enough that I wouldn’t suggest flattening the spine.

On 9/5/2021 at 4:39 AM, Point Five said:

I’m not suggesting the whole book is trimmed; only the cover. And while the thinking is good, most GA books are fragile enough that I wouldn’t suggest flattening the spine.

I didn't mean to imply that at all, but simply suggested to lay it down opened to the center and flat, as on a table.  No pressure should be used.

You guys telling him to sell and then purchase a better copy; wrong order.  Buy a better copy first if you're so inclined, and then sell these.  When's the last time anyone here has seen a reader grade unslabbed copy of this issue up for sale?

Edited by fifties