• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on where to get inexpensive display racks for my first con?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

So I'm thinking about getting a table at a local con for the first time.  I'm looking around online trying to find some sort of magazine display racks but nothing I can find is like what I see at conventions.  The stuff I CAN find is just prohibitively expensive, hundreds of dollars for a rack that can display maybe 20 books?  So, does anyone have any ideas on what I could use?  I will just have one 6ft table in a roughly 8ftx8ft space, so I don't need anything crazy.  I have some small racks to put on the table, but I can't find anything to stand behind me that will adequately display my books without sending me to the poor house first

You can build them yourself quite inexpensively.  Just get Closetmaid ventilated shelving or equivalent.  You buy the shelves in 12" or 16" widths.  You flip them so the lip is at the bottom, like this display:

Comic wall at Greenville Comic Con

At most home centers like Lowe's https://www.lowes.ca/search?tab=products-tab&query=closetmaid+wire+shelving&sort=score%3Adesc&page=2

You attach them to furring strips (1"x3" lumber) with the clips used specifically for this type of shelving.  If it is 6' wide, 2-3 strips will do, 8' tall if you want.  You space out the clips on the strips according to the size of your books, comics, or magazines.  When all the shelves are clipped on, it's very sturdy and can be leaned against a wall. 

Don't have a wall?  Well, it gets a bit more involved.  You have to put 2 furring strips back to back with a hinge at the top.  Then they can open like an easel.  You have to put a chain on each side with hooks to form an A frame so it won't move further open once you have it your desired depth.

The shelves will hang on the furring strips, not permanently mounted.  When it's time to leave, it all breaks down into individual pieces in about 5 minutes, no bulky parts.  I think you could build a nice set of racks for around $100.

If you decide to build something homemade, be sure to test it out fully loaded before you set up. I've seen some horrific accidents because  somebody put something together and didn't bother to give it a shakedown cruise. 

There is nothing like placing twenty five slabs on a display only to have it collapse under the weight, or somebody  reaching for a book and having the display crash and burn. 

Edited by shadroch

Here is my quick cheap azz solution. I only do a few comic shows a year as well as some toy and antique shows. Works for just about any paper items. I need to get some smaller “s” hooks to bring the rows tighter together when I’m just selling comics. (See bottom right corner). A piece of fishing line running across prevents books from falling off. Only works on wall spaces. But cheap, very portable and super quick to set up and take down. 

8F3E3CF6-4B35-4924-A3FF-30860B5693BA.jpeg