• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What feedback would you leave?
2 2

31 posts in this topic

This was one of the most exasperating experiences I've had in close to twenty years on the bay.

I bought a nice run of vintage baseball cards and was shopping for some big boxes to store them.  I order them from a place ,and within seconds realize I want one size larger-  I look for a phone number but it isn't in the ad so I cancel the order with ebay, saying I ordered the wrong item, intending to order the right items when I'm refunded. 

Details deleted as I had a number of pms asking about the particular seller. I'd delete the whole thread if possible.

Would you blast him, thank him for the quick refund, or not leave anything. I assume I can still leave feedback even after the refund.

Edited by shadroch

On 9/8/2021 at 5:48 PM, shadroch said:

I did not know that. I rarely use ebay anymore

Yes and 

On 9/8/2021 at 6:06 PM, Tnexus said:

While he sounds grumpy, Ebay doesn't always refund fees even if it's the buyers fault. So he may be stuck paying for your mistake.

Frankly just move on. It's not worth it.

To clarify Ebay switched to handling the money themselves rather than PayPal as the go between. So it is deposited directly to the sellers bank, and if he has to do a refund hes out the fees which could be substantial if the amount was high. Some buyers know this and will shoot a short complaint to try and get a partial refund, and threaten to do a return that the seller would be out the fees.

This is another reason why @D2 in the other thread was so adamant about raws and Ebay, buyer might complain to complain and shake the money tree to see what falls :tink:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

The total charged to my paypal was $38 and included my $2 donation to charity- which wasn't refunded.  What would it cost him in fees to refund $36? Would he have been hit with fees if I canceled two minutes in?

On 9/8/2021 at 7:56 PM, shadroch said:

The total charged to my paypal was $38 and included my $2 donation to charity- which wasn't refunded.  What would it cost him in fees to refund $36? Would he have been hit with fees if I canceled two minutes in?

No I want to say the percentage lost by a seller is like 2%, that's why I said it had to be a high sale price, not your specific circumstance,  but since you had been away I thought you should know.

His response to you was "I'm tired of paying for others mistakes"

That's what you said he said, I was letting you know that he wasnt being facetious 

Yes once you pay for a product, and refund fees is on the seller

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/8/2021 at 6:01 PM, D84 said:

If it was my mistake, I wouldn't threaten to leave negative feedback. Sorry, but you handled this badly and it would be petty to leave negative feedback.

I disagree. I asked to cancel within a minute, perhaps two. eBay makes a big deal of their money back warranties. 

On 9/8/2021 at 8:11 PM, shadroch said:

I disagree. I asked to cancel within a minute, perhaps two. eBay makes a big deal of their money back warranties. 

On 9/8/2021 at 8:09 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

No I want to say the percentage lost by a seller is like 2%, that's why I said it had to be a high sale price, not your specific circumstance,  but since you had been away I thought you should know.

His response to you was "I'm tired of paying for others mistakes"

That's what you said he said, I was letting you know that he wasnt being facetious 

Yes once you pay for a product, and refund fees is on the seller

He obviously had a lot of similar circumstances and not just you, but he drew the line so idk

I’d just move along if I got my refund…..you can choose not to deal with said person and I’m sure if he really is a crummy seller, some feedback would already have been out in to reflect. I wouldn’t leave negative feedback. You made a mistake, he got peesed, words were said, light threats made, you got your money.

Spend the time finding the boxes you need instead of worrying about it further :)

On 9/8/2021 at 8:16 PM, comicginger1789 said:

I’d just move along if I got my refund…..you can choose not to deal with said person and I’m sure if he really is a crummy seller, some feedback would already have been out in to reflect. I wouldn’t leave negative feedback. You made a mistake, he got peesed, words were said, light threats made, you got your money.

Spend the time finding the boxes you need instead of worrying about it further :)

I mean I really blame Ebay lol

@shadroch you didnt know 

AMD it seemed easy as a 123 fix, it's not your fault, but now at least you understood where the seller was coming from.

I agree cancelling to correct the order seems like an easy Ebay call to remove fees?

Except Ebay changed their number, I dont even know what it is if there is one. Only deal online chat, get 2 or three answers to same question . I mean it's crazy

Lol if you didnt know then I agree that would seem like a simple request and that the seller was out of left field

But sadly no he wasnt. It's the Ebay drag

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I'm wondering if he is a member or a lurker here as I got an ebay message where he apologized for the tone of his message. He also explained eBays policy and I've got to say it is ridiculous. I've been thinking of trying to sell some old toys on it but now will use other means.  The Bay should charge a restocking fee and make it very clear to the buyers that the money does not go to the sellers.  I can't imagine serious merchants agreeing to this. Does it go away when you reach a certain status or sales level?

On 9/8/2021 at 9:03 PM, shadroch said:

I'm wondering if he is a member or a lurker here as I got an ebay message where he apologized for the tone of his message. He also explained eBays policy and I've got to say it is ridiculous. I've been thinking of trying to sell some old toys on it but now will use other means.  The Bay should charge a restocking fee and make it very clear to the buyers that the money does not go to the sellers.  I can't imagine serious merchants agreeing to this. Does it go away when you reach a certain status or sales level?

It's a newish policy, but to my knowledge, no there is no tier level where it goes away. 

I think in the beginning Ebay was good about helping sellers and or buyers in this kind of situation, but it just adds another needless step that can be hard to keep up with due to volume.

:(

I appreciate the seller realizing it was an honest mistake 

Shame Ebay shame!

Ebay sent out a survey the other day and I hope enough people complained!