• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Universal's J. ROBERT OPPENHEIMER & THE ATOM BOMB directed by Christopher Nolan (TBD)
3 3

261 posts in this topic

Ah, crud, I just noticed today that Nolan did this movie with Universal and not Warner Brothers like all of his other movies.  I just assumed it was WB, but nope, he was pissed about them releasing Tenet straight to streaming and jumped studios.  I've been waiting for Oppenheimer's Max release for no reason.  doh!  I've already seen it, but my significant other hasn't and wants to.

Looks like it might just be this one film though since WB replaced their studio head right before Tenet released, but then replaced him in 2022.  But who knows, he was reportedly also pissed that the new WB execs chose to release Barbie the same weekend as Oppenheimer knowing that Nolan's films have almost always released on the same mid-July weekend.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 3/11/2024 at 9:01 AM, fantastic_four said:

Ah, crud, I just noticed today that Nolan did this movie with Universal and not Warner Brothers like all of his other movies.  I just assumed it was WB, but nope, he was pissed about them releasing Tenet straight to streaming and jumped studios.  I've been waiting for Oppenheimer's Max release for no reason.  doh!  I've already seen it, but my significant other hasn't and wants to.

Looks like it might just be this one film though since WB replaced their studio head right before Tenet released, but then replaced him in 2022.  But who knows, he was reportedly also pissed that the new WB execs chose to release Barbie the same weekend as Oppenheimer knowing that Nolan's films have almost always released on the same mid-July weekend.

If you really want to see it you can catch it on "Peacock" streaming service.  If that is all you are interested in you may be able to do a 7 day "free trial".  Watch the movie then promptly cancel.

Horrible film. Like max 3/5. So many problems with this. Nolan seems not really interested about the creation of the bomb. There is really little of that. The film makes it seem like the creation of the a-bomb was a piece of cake. Still the film is way too long. The whole Straus vs Openheimer is boring and not interesting. If you get to top in politics, business.. you will come across people that are fake, backstabbing.. sort of people.

The movie just jumps from one scene to another and most scenes are thrash. Probably the only two good scenes were testing the bomb and the end scene with Oppenheimer and Einstein. The whole poisoning the apple scene like if they want to put something like that there why change it? Oppenheimer put some chemical in that apple to make the professor sick and was caught. His family helped him not to get expelled. So that could have given some perspective what kinda screw up Oppenheimer is. Also some scenes are just weird like that scene were Oppenheimer is being questioned and he remembers Jean Tatlock and there is some "artistic" sex happening like if you just put some weird stuff in the film well you put some weird stuff in the film and make a weird scene. Also from the trailer you might think Matt Damon has a lot of screen time but no. 

So about the Oscars. Best picture no. Best supporting actor and actress no. Like if you wanna give supporting actor award to this film why not David Krumholtz?!? I had to check IMDB where I know him before and he was in that Numb3rs tv series. LOL

So if you hated Interstellar and was not able to just watch a couple of minutes of Tenant. Just skip this.

Edited by godzilla43

On 3/24/2024 at 7:26 AM, godzilla43 said:

and he remembers Jean Tatlock and there is some "artistic" sex happening like if you just put some weird stuff in the film well you put some weird stuff in the film and make a weird scene

The scene where she picks a copy of the Bhagavad Gita off his bookshelf and just happens to turn to the exact location in it of the Sanskrit version of ‘Now I am become Death, destroyer of worlds’, as desperate foreshadowing of his use of the saying at Trinity’, along with the gratuitous nudity in the scene, was a bit ridiculous.

Hardly great writing.

On 3/29/2024 at 5:09 AM, Bosco685 said:

Screenshot_20240329-0507422.thumb.png.79040a0e5e659c2167caa5005b31e580.png

While I can see why the omission of anything from the Japanese side was a controversial, I think much of that is offset by portraying Oppenheimer as very conflicted about what his team had accomplished.