• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Universal's J. ROBERT OPPENHEIMER & THE ATOM BOMB directed by Christopher Nolan (TBD)
3 3

261 posts in this topic

On 7/24/2023 at 8:10 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I don't recall Nolan ever pandering to that before, though. I guess he seized the opportunity with Pugh and Blunt...

Yeah, there was an article questioning why he included those scenes in this movie; I believe it was his first "sex-scene" in a movie and I vaguely recall he said he felt awkward about including it. 

On 7/24/2023 at 2:29 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Apparently the film also played down the extent of Oppenheimer's womanizing. It went well beyond the three affairs noted in the movie.

I'm pretty sure the movie got the point across with the extent that they did cover his womanizing, though.

On 7/25/2023 at 7:07 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm pretty sure the movie got the point across with the extent that they did cover his womanizing, though.

That's my point.

An easy way to emphasize his rampant womanizing was to amp up just 1-2 of the affairs with the gratuitous sex scenes - it's a narrative shortcut.

*Particularly* the scene in the security clearance interrogation where Kitty imagines Jean Tatlock with him -- the implication being that she's had to share her marriage to him not only with Jean Tatlock but with all the other women he's cheated on her with as well.

On 7/24/2023 at 4:32 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

There's only 1 scene that'll standout between seeing this in theaters and at home. It's an overrated movie, albeit still good to some degree. Can't say it's as good as what Nolan did pre-Dunkirk. Too much political embellishment for me.

IMAX benefits a movie where significant acting is limited to facial expressions. And IMAX enhances the B&W sequences.  The desire to see it in IMAX has nothing to do with explosions. Nolan not only hyped IMAX as necessary viewing, he identified what seats it should be viewed in.  As a result IMAX tickets are sold out way in advance for the key seats.

On 7/25/2023 at 10:37 AM, sfcityduck said:

IMAX benefits a movie where significant acting is limited to facial expressions. And IMAX enhances the B&W sequences.  The desire to see it in IMAX has nothing to do with explosions. Nolan not only hyped IMAX as necessary viewing, he identified what seats it should be viewed in.  As a result IMAX tickets are sold out way in advance for the key seats.

Assumptions aside, none of this matters.