• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLOSED Auction — Peanuts #1 UFS 1953 Coverless, incomplete
5 5

49 posts in this topic

Time for an update, with a couple days or so to go until Saturday night 11 pm Eastern…

@Pitbossis our ninth bidder at $75, but @Funnybooks came back and slammed a Benjamin on deck. Soon thereafter, @mikej61played Joe Cool (see bid above) and bid $125, our current high bid. 

Lotsa time and room for wild, woolly action. Thanks to everyone bringing the mayhem (and bids) so far!

On 9/16/2021 at 5:41 PM, Funnybooks said:

claim

Thanks but I don't plan to offer up this one (I almost hate to type that for fear of jinxing myself and something calamitous happening that makes me need to sell any of my black hole books...Is that a thing? does everybody get like that??)

On 9/16/2021 at 5:43 PM, Readcomix said:

Thanks but I don't plan to offer up this one (I almost hate to type that for fear of jinxing myself and something calamitous happening that makes me need to sell any of my black hole books...Is that a thing? does everybody get like that??)

As values escalate, it's natural to be more cautious about how you approach the collection. Superstition and karma are real for me.

On 9/16/2021 at 2:40 PM, Readcomix said:

I hope I didn't worry you Ed! Feel free to post yours for fun. Here's my keeper copy (Note to bidders -- this is NOT the auction item!)

IMG_E0960.JPG

Ugh. Long story made short...This is my white whale of a book. Something like 7 or 8 years ago, I had very little money at the time and I was picking books out of a collection for sale and having to be selective as I was pretty much broke (thanks to my now ex who seemed to be allergic to holding a job). I put together a small stack and I held this book and passed on it as I figured I could always find it later.  I didn't know anything about it at the time (I knew mostly super hero stuff and wasn't nearly as well versed in Golden Age comics) and there were some other books that I thought were better grabs. Well.. turns out I was wrong and those "better" grabs I picked up were more common and plentiful,  while a copy of this book has eluded me over the years since.  So this is the one book that got away. 

GLWTS

Edited by oceans11

On 9/16/2021 at 7:24 PM, oceans11 said:

Ugh. Long story made short...This is my white whale of a book. Something like 7 or 8 years ago, I had very little money at the time and I was picking books out of a collection for sale and having to be selective as I was pretty much broke (thanks to my now ex who seemed to be allergic to holding a job). I put together a small stack and I held this book and passed on it as I figured I could always find it later.  I didn't know anything about it at the time (I knew mostly super hero stuff and wasn't nearly as well versed in Golden Age comics) and there were some other books that I thought were better grabs. Well.. turns out I was wrong and those "better" grabs I picked up were more common and plentiful,  while a copy of this book has eluded me over the years since.  So this is the one book that got away. 

GLWTS

Thank you Don; sorry this book has made an Ahab of you, but like the white whale, it has vexed many a collector. When it came up for me, I kind of had a sinking feeling knowing I had to reel it in. It was a 2-hour detour en route to an annual trip with the guys, and it took a small stack of pretty nifty silver age to get it done.

On 9/16/2021 at 8:44 PM, ft88 said:

Well jeebers, I thought everyone had a copy. 

I sold a CGC 7.0 (on the board and also bought it on the boards, probably right around OC11's hesitation) and figured I'd never get another, given the prices.  This came with a collection of #1 issues from the 1950s. 

Once I saw it, I knew I could pretty much bid it up to whatever the seller wanted. 

It's kind of the perfect cartoon book. Yeah, it's not a first appearance but really, it is.  One shot, non-descript publisher, Zero disruptions to the cover.  A gag that takes a while to figure out and really well drawn, almost barks or kelly level.  And then that's it, no more Peanuts.  The Tip Top covers are pretty sweet but none as good as the UFS.  The early Dells have a few decent covers but they seem Disney-fied. 

Anyway,  There are three cartoon books like this, Archie 1, Peanuts 1 and Little Dot 6.  There are a couple Cartooney Dells that are similar (386 Scrooge, 193 Tom Jerry, 33 Bugs bunny, Large Feature 8 Bugs Bunny and of course FC 9 and FC 16 and a few others)  but I do like the off Dell alternative books for rarity.

Here's my copy.  Stunner with a mild subscription crease.  Peanut interior gags are awesome. 

img133.jpg.a404e4f0f1a7bda49a15bf28fb482261.jpgimg134.jpg.db789065eb581bed031fc3951a1876a0.jpg

Thank you for sharing your copy Ed, and for a great description of this book! I still remember your journal post about landing this and a Mad #1 on the same trip. I still remember your line: “When the books you bring home are worth more than the car you drove there to pick them up in, it’s a good day.” (That might be a paraphrase but I know it’s close!)

Ok, with just over 24 hours to go, it’s time for an action recap: @iggykoopa rockets his bid from $2 to $140, which prompts @mrwoogieman to drop in and munch a bag of peanuts (yeah, I know it’s a popcorn bag, but I bet there’s peanuts in there!) Which brings us to our current high bid, as @Miamiknight3434 has taken us up to $175! 

Thank you to all bidders and contributors to this thread; I know Schulz’ creation holds a special place for many of us; I’m glad that this thread can be a celebration as well as an auction. (thumbsu

Twenty twenty twenty-four hours to go…