• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping and no seller protection on Ebay
3 3

29 posts in this topic

On 9/17/2021 at 3:09 PM, Falcon760 said:

I don't think there's any evidence that ebay does anything with non-payers.  

Agree, I have my doubts they do anything. I did complain when they took away the ability to mark non-payers as such and eBay waived fee on my next three sales as a pacifier. 

On 9/17/2021 at 3:50 AM, HotKey said:

That limit doesn't go into effect until next year.

I know. I’m getting the bulk of my big sales done this year… sell off anything left of significant value on the Bay before hitting the threshold, then try other avenues next year.

On 9/16/2021 at 10:22 PM, Lightning55 said:

You can report that buyer for non-payment.  There is a link in the drop down menu on the selling page that says Report Buyer.  Maybe if they get reported enough, a miracle will happen and they will be kicked off.

I don't see non-payment as a reason eBay is accepting, though I wish I did:

• Buyer demanded something that was not offered in my listing
  • Buyer made a false claim
  • Buyer misused returns
  • Buyer messaged me or retracted their bid with no intention of buying my item
    • Retracted their bid and negatively impacted my auction
    • Used M2M messaging to threaten me or send spam not related to my listing

On 9/17/2021 at 4:08 PM, Sigur Ros said:

I don't see non-payment as a reason eBay is accepting, though I wish I did:

• Buyer demanded something that was not offered in my listing
  • Buyer made a false claim
  • Buyer misused returns
  • Buyer messaged me or retracted their bid with no intention of buying my item
    • Retracted their bid and negatively impacted my auction
    • Used M2M messaging to threaten me or send spam not related to my listing

I guess they "improved" that function - or dysfunction.  I believe non-payment used to be one of the choices, and should always be.

Of the choices there, you could pick "Buyer made a false claim".  By bidding, they claimed (promised) that they would pay, and then they didn't.

On 9/18/2021 at 4:47 AM, Lightning55 said:

I guess they "improved" that function - or dysfunction.  I believe non-payment used to be one of the choices, and should always be.

Of the choices there, you could pick "Buyer made a false claim".  By bidding, they claimed (promised) that they would pay, and then they didn't.

I agree, it should be.  Seems that's the one thing you can't report a buyer for.

Ebay is fiercely protective of buyers.

image.png.ac08ca02156483e3b2da9cfbac963c40.png

This is what eBay UK says, I guess US is the same?

“Failure to pay for items is a violation of our abusive buyer policy. All unpaid items are recorded on a buyer's account. Buyers who have excessive unpaid items, or cancelled transactions, may have limits imposed, or lose their buying privileges.”

Who knows how many “excessive unpaid items” constitutes. And seller can no longer report cancellation is due to being unpaid so reliance on eBay to recognise and match cancellation and no payment. 

On 9/19/2021 at 4:26 AM, Garystar said:

And seller can no longer report cancellation is due to being unpaid

Actually, in the incident I mentioned earlier, when I started the process somewhere it said after 4 days you can cancel for non-payment, and after 4 days that option did get added.

Just FYI

On 9/19/2021 at 3:58 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Actually, in the incident I mentioned earlier, when I started the process somewhere it said after 4 days you can cancel for non-payment, and after 4 days that option did get added.

Many thanks for info. I’ll look again when I get next non-payer (I’m sure there will be one), could be UK and US are different but last two cancellations I’ve had to make didn’t have non payment as a reason. 
As previous I set preferences to block potential time wasters with a history of non payment from bidding. 

Edited by Garystar

I had a non-payer recently, had to wait until the allowed payment period was up and then I could relist. A few days later, I got a message from eBay that they were waiving all fees on my next three sales to make up for the non-payment issue I got hit with - turned out pretty nice, my next three were about $400 combined. Not sure what triggers that response, but I was happy with it.