• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden/Atomic Age SciFi Recommendations
2 2

43 posts in this topic

I am a huge scifi fan and am curious as to what the community would say the key Golden/Atomic age scifi series are? I see Planet Comics getting a lot of love. And I am personally drawn to the EC books for the art and social significance. Are these the big 2? Or are their others out there from this era that are must read/collect if you are a comic scifi fan? Many thanks!

Welcome! (I was a big Concrete fan back in the day, BTW.)  :hi: 

Yes, the EC titles for smart storytelling and Planet Comics for cheesecake fun... you really can't go wrong with those. Are you after quality interior stories more than covers? Basil Wolverton's sci-fi stories are really cool, but they're buried across a smattering of different titles.

On 9/17/2021 at 11:54 AM, ConcreteMob181 said:

I am a huge scifi fan and am curious as to what the community would say the key Golden/Atomic age scifi series are? I see Planet Comics getting a lot of love. And I am personally drawn to the EC books for the art and social significance. Are these the big 2? Or are their others out there from this era that are must read/collect if you are a comic scifi fan? Many thanks!

Personally, I've always greatly enjoyed the early issues of Mystery in Space and Strange Adventures from D.C., the Avons include some classic GGA (as does Man 'O Mars), and I agree that there are lots of great opportunities to pick and choose classic stories by guys like Wolverton if you aren't tied by OCD to completing titles.

Edited by sfcityduck

Thanks so much for the warm welcome and the response. I always suspected there were a few more Concrete fans out there!

To answer your question, while I love a great cover I will choose story over cover every time. I don’t know anything about Basil Wolverton though…where would I start?

If you do want to stick with series, I'd suggest checking out some of the Archive HCs of the series to test the water - PS Publishing has a lot of books (low quality, but cheap when bought remaindered/overstock) that can get you a great sample of a wide array of titles.  DC published a SC sampler called Mystery in Space that is worth chasing down.  And the Atlas Masterworks are great HC with quality reproduction if you want to check out their SF content.  

All solid recommendations here. I have a fondness for ECs. Book for Book some of the best covers and stories. Reprints are cheap and easy to dip your toes.

And then there is Basil Wolverton. Yeah top notch and reprints are available of his stuff too.

Welcome to the boards GA section. A lot of great folks here! 

These are great recommendations. Thanks much to all. I checked out Wolverton and can verify that the fact I was totally unaware of him has confirmed my status as a golden age noob. I was at least familiar with a few of the others but Science Comics, Speed Carter, and Superworld were brand new to me. I love the Kirby Amazing Adventures covers so happy to hear the endorsement.

On 9/17/2021 at 6:13 PM, ConcreteMob181 said:

These are great recommendations. Thanks much to all. I checked out Wolverton and can verify that the fact I was totally unaware of him has confirmed my status as a golden age noob. I was at least familiar with a few of the others but Science Comics, Speed Carter, and Superworld were brand new to me. I love the Kirby Amazing Adventures covers so happy to hear the endorsement.

I was thinking of the earlier Amazing Adventures series by Ziff Davis. I only have the reprints done by PS Artbooks, but those have interior pages that are very comic book like. The Silver Age series by Kirby is also excellent.

scan0690.jpg

Welcome aboard from yet another Concrete fan!

You might also like to have a look at some of the comic strip sci-fi from the 30s and 40s. Buck Rogers is often pretty fun. You can find Buck in strip reprint volumes and in comics too. The Wikipedia list is woefully incomplete, but might get you started. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_Rogers#Comic_books