• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In your opinion, what should the fair market value of X-Men #4 9.8 be??

53 posts in this topic

On 9/21/2021 at 6:38 PM, D2 said:
On 9/21/2021 at 6:33 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Byrne worked on X-men 4?:whatthe:

Lol I know right?

everyone thinks Claremont wrote it, but it was actually Byrne

On 9/21/2021 at 6:42 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Helping out Jim Lee with the story.

I enjoyed the character in the animated series, but I dont really feel they ever made too much of the character. I mean I dont here any issues being called out other then the 1st app. I may be wrong.

Still if it was ever used, the substance that now stands as a foundation of material, wouldnt it only be a one and done? In any media?

Again I'm not as familiar but I always felt it was a one and done character. Given the value of the 1st appearance I hope I'm wrong :wishluck:

On 9/22/2021 at 12:38 AM, D2 said:

Lol I know right?

everyone thinks Claremont wrote it, but it was actually Byrne

The opposite for me.

For me, its significance is the end of Claremont's very long and consistent run writing X-Men, and the start of the team's rapid descent into irrelevance for me for about a decade, until Grant Morrison made them interesting again. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 9/21/2021 at 7:46 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I enjoyed the character in the animated series, but I dont really feel they ever made too much of the character. I mean I dont here any issues being called out other then the 1st app. I may be wrong.

Still if it was ever used, the substance that now stands as a foundation of material, wouldnt it only be a one and done? In any media?

Again I'm not as familiar but I always felt it was a one and done character. Given the value of the 1st appearance I hope I'm wrong :wishluck:

I also think that a lot of what was successful for X-Men was through the animated cartoon.

Omega Red was a pretty cool character from this issue #4 to issue #7, but after that point, they didn't really do much with him... not that I recall anyway.

Even reading over this storyline again, today, it doesn't age well at all.

On 9/21/2021 at 7:54 PM, Ken Aldred said:

The opposite for me.

For me, its significance is the end of Claremont's very long and consistent run writing X-Men, and the start of the team's rapid descent into irrelevance for me for about a decade, until Grant Morrison made them interesting again. 

What is my take on Claremont...

Claremont is the undisputed father of the X-Men. His work was legendary and his legacy will never be broken.

Now Claremont in 2021 looks different to me in some ways. There are some of his works that I believe have stood the test of time, particularly Days of Future Past and the Wolverine Limited Series. Outside of those works, The Dark Phoenix Saga is good, and some single issue stories I actually quite like, personally, issues #186, 198, 205...

But that's a pretty long stretch. 142 to 186? That's 40 issues. Then 205 to, arguably 268, that's 60 issues...

I think most of Claremont's stuff today is borderline unreadable and comparable to the 90s X-Men run. 
I used to love The Age of Apocalypse, but reading that today, and it's nearly unreadable too.

I never liked Morrison's run personally, but I can appreciate what he did, distilling The X-Men down to what they used to be: a small, colorful group of unique personalities, that, when the chips were down, worked together as a team.

On 9/20/2021 at 4:53 PM, Lazyboy said:

O.o

Huge supply. Paying $250-300 for any copy of this issue is :screwy:

$50 well spent. A few I might have even spent $60. $50 gets 1 book slabbed and a lunch, if it needs pressed and you don't want to do it yourself forget the lunch. If they drop to 100 to 150 I will be buying again. Some spec pump or rumor catches on and the economic environment is good it could be a $400 book or more. 

On 9/22/2021 at 4:00 AM, D2 said:

I think most of Claremont's stuff today is borderline unreadable and comparable to the 90s X-Men run. 
I used to love The Age of Apocalypse, but reading that today, and it's nearly unreadable too.

I never liked Morrison's run personally, but I can appreciate what he did, distilling The X-Men down to what they used to be: a small, colorful group of unique personalities, that, when the chips were down, worked together as a team.

I still find his first, long run very readable, but his return in the late 90s onwards very, very, different; unreadable, just not engaging at all.

I re-read Morrison’s run this year and really connected with it, despite not getting terribly enthused about most of the artwork.  A wide range of stories, interesting ideas, and, read as a whole, the best extended, interlinked narrative since that of Claremont and Byrne.

Also, it does help that it appears that in recent years I’ve developed a greater appreciation of Morrison’s work, which started with rereading his long Doom Patrol run again for the first time in ages, which I also thought was exceptionally consistent. That prodded me into reading his X-Men comics.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 9/22/2021 at 3:27 AM, Ken Aldred said:
On 9/21/2021 at 10:00 PM, D2 said:

Expand  

I still find his first, long run very readable, but his return in the late 90s onwards very, very, different; unreadable, just not engaging at all.

I re-read Morrison’s run this year and really connected with it, despite not getting terribly enthused about most of the artwork.  A wide range of stories, interesting ideas, and, read as a whole, the best extended, interlinked narrative since that of Claremont and Byrne.

Also, it does help that it appears that in recent years I’ve developed a greater appreciation of Morrison’s work, which started with rereading his long Doom Patrol run again for the first time in ages, which I also thought was exceptionally consistent. That prodded me into reading his X-Men comics.

When we say "Morrison run on X-Men".... We're talking the new X-Men series correct?

I have some of those raw I would read, if so (thumbsu

On 9/22/2021 at 10:19 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

When we say "Morrison run on X-Men".... We're talking the new X-Men series correct?

I have some of those raw I would read, if so (thumbsu

Starting with this one…

872323.jpg

I never got into this series when reading it episodically, when originally published.  I’ve appreciated it much more as a complete run.