• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditko collection sold on Heritage

24 posts in this topic

I was really interested in going after one or two and had planned to do so, but i made another comic purchase the week prior and couldn't spend money on them in good conscious until my other obligations were fulfilled. 

I'll keep my eyes open if I ever get another chance. I have a cool Stan Lee file copy and I would love to have one of these to go with it. 

On 9/19/2021 at 3:03 PM, PKJ said:

I was able to land Issue 27, still not in hand yet but  @Bunky Brian  listed on their IG winning issue 34. I have not seen anyone else posting wins. I bid on all of them except the Slightly Brittle page books and bidding was pretty intense.

IMHO .... WELL worth a premium. Ditko is kind of the Notorious Dylan Thomas of comics.... I would love to have succeeded on one :sorry: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 9/19/2021 at 8:16 PM, jimjum12 said:

IMHO .... WELL worth a premium. Ditko is kind of the Notorious Dylan Thomas of comics.... I would love to have succeeded on one :sorry: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I agree and wanted two issues, 27 and 33. I had hoped to land another to use later as trade bait but the prices were seemingly high and in front of the two I was wanting to grab. The 33 got crazy ($8400) and I was a little more happy with the 27 when I folded.

I agree. Well worth the premium, though prices did take off a bit. 

Even if I was bidding, I'm not sure I would have been willing to swim in the deep end....  

Passing up awesome books, living in regret for years and then paying 3Xs as much for them is more my speed. 

Edited by KCOComics

On 9/19/2021 at 8:06 AM, 1webslinger said:

Did anyone snag any books from this auction, I missed any advertisement that these were being auctioned. My one friend would have really liked to have bid on issue #6 since he collects the lizard comics and toys. Congrats to those who won.

That would be the one I would go for as well, as the Lizard is my favorite character.

I bid on nearly every issue but had trouble getting bids through for a couple that went lower than I intended to go (5,11,7 IIRC).  Didn't mind at first thinking I'd get another but then the others I wanted went higher than I expected.  I'd gotten used to expecting collectors to diss owner copies, and thought surely (don't call me Shirley) there was gonna be people saying "stay away" "they're low grade so nobody cares"  "It's the nephew selling after he died; how convenient!"  Not that I agree with any of that, but it's what I totes expected, and bid accordingly.  So I have mixed feelings; glad that didn't happen but sad I didn't realize it in time to bid higher and get at least one of them...

Edited by bluechip

On 10/1/2021 at 1:06 AM, UncleBEN said:

Personally I would never press any books from this collection, if Ditko was the original owner he created those imperfections. Just my .02 . 

I agree, just in this day and age I assumed they had been.

It’s the closest thing you’ll get to a Signature Series from Ditko out of CGC.  And there is only one of each (and not even all issues).  

Was interesting to see the first few go for 3-4x current market and end closer to 10x for most.  Not sure what they’re really worth but very cool.  

On 10/1/2021 at 7:29 PM, comiconxion said:

It’s the closest thing you’ll get to a Signature Series from Ditko out of CGC.  And there is only one of each (and not even all issues).  

Was interesting to see the first few go for 3-4x current market and end closer to 10x for most.  Not sure what they’re really worth but very cool.  

sorry, but did some of them actually have a "Steve Ditko" signing inside the book ???

On 10/2/2021 at 1:30 PM, fishbone said:

sorry, but did some of them actually have a "Steve Ditko" signing inside the book ???

Not sure if they had "Steve Ditko" inside of them but there was this lot that had a coverless 13 with "Steve" written on the inside with no note of the writing on the label. This lot sold for $5280.

Dikto.jpg

Edited by PKJ

On 10/1/2021 at 4:39 PM, rexinnih said:

Would have loved to have gotten something from Ditko's collection. Will need to pay more attention to these auctions. Was in the hands of a legend. 

Should have received way more publicity then it got from Heritage   Comicconnect would have publicized the hello out of it.  I guess heritage has so much good stuff lately it got lost ?  still no excuse 

On 10/1/2021 at 4:29 PM, comiconxion said:

If my math is correct, the ASM 33 went for 42X guide 

did they sell books like ASM 1 or AF15? Did he even have those copies still?

Crazy how they failed so badly at getting the word out for this auction. Maybe those were sort of Ditko's last snub at letting people get too close - through the efforts of his nephew.

Still the same-- what an odd duck all around.