• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Issue Date on Label Incorrect?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hopefully my first post doesn't come off making me look entirely dumb but I've got a question regarding the Issue Date on the CGC labels.

I was under the impression that the issue date on the label should correspond to the date that the comic was originally distributed for sale. For example, take Miles Morales Spider-man #28. The issue was released on 07/21/2021. However, when I look at the CGC Census, it indicates that it was issued in 09/21. This also seems to match the date listed on the label (see example below). I then thought maybe I had it wrong that the label date was simply when CGC got around to actually grading it, but that doesn't align with order slabs I've looked that. Can someone clear this up for me?

196030526_CGCLabel.thumb.jpg.25041000a1f39e9fc83d5f560733541b.jpg

CGC lists the date of publication according to the publisher. A book will generally have a publication date 2-3 months after it's actual distribution date. This practice dates back to the 1930s and was an attempt to keep things on the shelf longer.   When the direct market started, books were generally in comic shops two weeks before they appeared on newsstands. Before long, speeding up Direct distribution  made the gap three weeks. Not every publisher uses this method so the easiest thing to do to print the publishers Month of publication, not the real one or date first distributed. 

Edited by shadroch

On 9/21/2021 at 10:42 AM, TacosTacosTacosTacos said:

They hoped you'd leave the comics on the racks at least until the cover date.

It must work big time if it's lasted all this time, not to mention every single publisher does it.

On 9/21/2021 at 9:45 AM, Gaard said:

It must work big time if it's lasted all this time, not to mention every single publisher does it.

What choice do they have? If last months mag came out August 15th and had a cover date of December, this months mag can't be October, can it?

A better question would be why comics have any month on the cover. 

Edited by shadroch

On 9/21/2021 at 2:03 PM, shadroch said:

What choice do they have? If last months mag came out August 15th and had a cover date of December, this months mag can't be October, can it?

A better question would be why comics have any month on the cover. 

Well, if I recall correctly, comics at one point went from 3-month advance dating to 2-month dating, so "compression" happened somehow at some point.  
Marvel hasn't had their dates on their covers for a while, and DC may have just recently (as in, the past year) removed them.