• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NBC's QUANTUM LEAP sequel series (TBD)
5 5

33 posts in this topic

Actor Scott Bakula says “significant conversations” are happening about the possibility of a reboot of his early ’90s sci-fi series Quantum Leap, though whatever talks are happening seem to be in the very early stages.

On the podcast Bob Saget’s Here For You yesterday, guest Bakula suggested that the 1989-93 NBC fantasy series – in which his character time-hopped through various eras by “leaping” into the bodies of other people – could see a new day yet again, though fans probably shouldn’t expect anything too soon.

Bakula told Saget, “There are very significant conversations about it right now going on. I don’t know what it would be. I don’t know who would have it. The rights were a mess for years. I don’t know if they’re even sorted out now. That’s always been the biggest complication.”

Asked by Saget why Bakula and Stockwell can’t do the show “now,” Bakula quips, “Dean costs too much money.”

Edited by Bosco685

The “Quantum Leap” pilot at NBC has cast Raymond Lee in one of the show’s lead roles, Variety has learned.

Serving as a sequel series to the original “Quantum Leap,” the new version takes place 30 years after Dr. Sam Beckett stepped into the Quantum Leap accelerator and vanished. Now a new team has been assembled to restart the project in the hopes of understanding the mysteries behind the machine and the man who created it.

Lee will star as Dr. Ben Seong, described as both a scientist and man of faith. He’s a world-renowned physicist working on a time travel project known as Quantum Leap.

Lee currently appears on the AMC series “Kevin Can F*** Himself,” which will end with its upcoming second season. He was also a series regular on the Alan Ball HBO series “Here and Now.” His other TV roles include “Made for Love,” “Mozart in the Jungle,” and “Scandal.” Next up, he will appear in “Top Gun: Maverick,” which hits theaters on May 27.

Ernie Hudson has joined the “Quantum Leap” sequel series pilot at NBC, Variety has confirmed.

Hudson joins previously announced series lead Raymond Lee in the pilot. Serving as a sequel series to the original “Quantum Leap,” the new version takes place 30 years after Dr. Sam Beckett stepped into the Quantum Leap accelerator and vanished. Now a new team has been assembled to restart the project in the hopes of understanding the mysteries behind the machine and the man who created it.

Lee will star as Dr. Ben Seong, described as both a scientist and man of faith. He’s a world-renowned physicist working on a time travel project known as Quantum Leap. Hudson is attached to play a character named Herbert “Magic” Williams, a Vietnam veteran and the head of the Quantum Leap project. He uses his political and military know-how to keep the Pentagon at Bay while his team works to rescue Ben. The character of Williams previously appeared in the original series, with Beckett leaping into him during his service in Vietnam in the Season 3 episode “The Leap Home Part 2.”

On 1/14/2022 at 3:55 AM, Jaydogrules said:

I love this show.   I suspect Sam will be the AI in this version for the new Leaper, since he died at the end of the original series (and Scotr is old now)

-J.

Who died in the original show?

From what I remember, Sam leaped back in time to talk to Beth and tell her Al was alive.  That kept her from remarrying and she waited for Al to come home.  Sam knew if he did that for Al, he would not return home and would keep leaping around in time.  I never thought he died. 

NBC is now the first network to hand out a series order to a pilot. It has been announced that the Quantum Leap pilot, which is a reboot of the popular sci-fi drama, has been ordered straight to series at the network. The show will be headlined by Raymond Lee.

Per Deadline, the Quantum Leap pilot seemed to be a big lock for a pickup and it also looks like Raymond Lee will be one of the breakout performers of the new fall TV season. The reboot was the only 2022 drama pilot in consideration for the fall schedule at NBC so that should tell you something about what they thought about the pilot’s execution. There are two other drama pilots to be evaluated at the network and they include Unbroken and Blank Slate. They’re being looked at for a launch in November or midseason. Oddly enough, Scott Bakula is the star of Unbroken and he was the star of the original Quantum Leap series. As of this writing, he is not involved with the reboot.

I'm a little iffy on the two leads and disappointed there's not even a whiff of Sam Beckett or Al references (although I'm sure those will be forthcoming), but as a big fan (and writer) of the original I'm still excited to check it out.   Network television needs more good true scifi.

-J.

On 9/12/2022 at 6:46 PM, Jaydogrules said:

I'm a little iffy on the two leads and disappointed there's not even a whiff of Sam Beckett or Al references (although I'm sure those will be forthcoming), but as a big fan (and writer) of the original I'm still excited to check it out.   Network television needs more good true scifi.

-J.

I was always under the impression that Sam simply continued to leap in and out of peoples lives and just never made it home. 

I think that there will have to be some nod to Sam and Al in some capacity. 

According to Ernie Hudson, the showrunners have extended an invitation to participate. I am guessing here but depending on Bakula's response to that invitation could be the difference between some type of guest appearance and merely a nod here and there. 

On 9/12/2022 at 3:53 PM, Buzzetta said:

I was always under the impression that Sam simply continued to leap in and out of peoples lives and just never made it home. 

I think that there will have to be some nod to Sam and Al in some capacity. 

According to Ernie Hudson, the showrunners have extended an invitation to participate. I am guessing here but depending on Bakula's response to that invitation could be the difference between some type of guest appearance and merely a nod here and there. 

My take was that Sam died at his final leap , as there was no one in the "waiting room" back in his time and Al had to scour his entire lifetime just to find him (he leaped to the date of his birth). He died, but his "soul" was able to continue leaping, except now he was going to be able.to control his destinations , but they were going to get much more difficult. 

Which is why I was really hoping they would be able.to get Scott to play the Al role.  That would have been amazing.  But alas, was not meant to be (for now)

Even though it was not originally intended as such , that episode was a beautiful series finale.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 9/12/2022 at 6:58 PM, Jaydogrules said:

My take was that Sam died at his final leap , as there was no one in the "waiting room" back in his time and Al had to scour his entire lifetime just to find him (he leaped to the date of his birth). He died, but his "soul" was able to continue leaping, except now he was going to be able.to control his destinations , but they were going to get much more difficult. 

Which is why I was really hoping they would be able.to get Scott to play the Al role.  That would have been amazing.  But alas, was not meant to be (for now)

Even though it was not originally intended as such , that episode was a beautiful series finale.  

-J.

I could see that.  

His physical body being kept alive by Ziggy through assistants or whoever in the hopes of bringing him back while his "soul" drifts around until he ultimately dies. 

The series finale was excellent though.