• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NBC's QUANTUM LEAP sequel series (TBD)
5 5

33 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2022 at 4:05 PM, Buzzetta said:

I could see that.  

His physical body being kept alive by Ziggy through assistants or whoever in the hopes of bringing him back while his "soul" drifts around until he ultimately dies. 

The series finale was excellent though. 

I seriously hope they reveal something like this at some point, or, at the very least , some kind of mention that part of the project's mission is they are still looking for Sam (as opposed to a straight reboot/rehash of the original premise).

-J.

Unfortunately, looks like Scott Bakula was offered the role, received a --script, and then passed.  

They ultimately had to rewrite it to remove Sam from the storyline.  

Bummer.  

Maybe Scott just didn't think it would be right to do it without Dean....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ign.com/articles/quantum-leap-star-says-he-passed-on-appearing-in-the-new-series%3famp=1

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 9/10/2022 at 3:13 AM, Bosco685 said:

Looks good if awful expository.

The original series made quite an impression on me as a youth. It was probably one of the first series that I watched from start to finish. I remember being very touched and sad at the ending when Sam never came home but Al had a better life.

On 9/17/2022 at 11:55 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Unfortunately, looks like Scott Bakula was offered the role, received a -----script, and then passed.  

They ultimately had to rewrite it to remove Sam from the storyline.  

Bummer.  

Maybe Scott just didn't think it would be right to do it without Dean....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ign.com/articles/quantum-leap-star-says-he-passed-on-appearing-in-the-new-series%3famp=1

-J.

Link included.

I looked at the timeline of this. A few months prior to Dean Stockwell's death, Bakula said there were "significant talks" and seemed excited about the prospect of returning to Quantum Leap along with Dean Stockwell.  This is from Bob Saget's podcast in September of 2021.  There are other interviews that Bakula gives after NCIS New Orleans ended where he teases the idea of returning to the character of Sam Beckett.  Dean Stockwell dies around a month and a half later in November of 2021.  After that point, Bakula starts to become hesitant about the project.

I think it is what you said here.  It's not a matter of whether or not the -script was good or bad, I think it was a matter of not being able to do it with Dean Stockwell. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 9/20/2022 at 4:11 AM, Bosco685 said:

Pilot episode was good. Lays the groundwork for the main characters and motivations while maintaining the mystery.

I'm debating whether or not to watch this show, as I was a huge fan of the original series.  Reboots are so tough to pull off.

On 9/20/2022 at 1:24 PM, piper said:

I'm debating whether or not to watch this show, as I was a huge fan of the original series.  Reboots are so tough to pull off.

I'll let you judge for yourself, as I get exactly what you are referring to.

They did a decent job. Even had two very clear references to the original characters. So they didn't leave them completely out of the pilot. You will know it when you see it. You can't miss it.

Edited by Bosco685

So I found it to be more of a rehash than anything, and the main plot line rather generic and pedestrian.  I also thought they spent way too much time on the support staff in the present, one of the main appeals of the original is that we never really knew what the present that Sam Beckett came from looked like and we saw virtually nothing of the staff.  That made us identify with exclusively with Sam and his plight and his friendship with Al.

But then I got the last two minutes and that definitely pulled me in.  The

decision to bring in Al's daughter

was an inspired way to bridge the two shows and certainly leaves the door open to

trying to look for Sam again as well and brining back Scott Bakula, at least for a guest appearance here and there

which I'm sure he will do if the show can survive the rather disappointing ratings that it premiered with.  

The Al's daughter connection is especially awesome in that she only exists because of Sam's final selfless act for his friend in the last episode of the original series.  Good stuff there. 

I'll definitely stick around for the ride for now.

Also, the Dean Stockwell title card at the end gave me a little lump on my throat.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

I liked the original series, so I thought I would give the reboot a shot. 

Have enjoyed them, especially the Halloween episode

I do enjoy a good tome travel from the Time Tunnel or even the classic Time Machine. 

If I was at my home puter I would post my classics and gold key issues