• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

White Pages?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I have here 2 graded copies of Spidey 298. They were both graded to have WP.

By looking at the top and bottom it's easy to Ser that one has bright white pages while the other seems much darker by comparison.

Does CGC take the top and bottom into consideration when determining page color or just the inside pages?

The darker pages is actually the higher graded book at 9.2 and the brighter one is am 8.5.

I'd also like to add that they were both graded in 2020.

What do you all think?

20210921_163325.jpg

20210921_163344.jpg

Edited by lostboys

On 9/21/2021 at 4:59 PM, Philiboy said:

"White pages" refers to the pages inside the book....correct? So if you are looking at the cover, then thats entirely different. My 2 cents. 

Not the cover but the top and bottom of the inner pages.

I think there is or was a explanation on page color on the site. They factor in the color of the art area and outside edges. Probably should be off white white if the majority of the pages is actually white. Or they need a new class super white or baking soda white. Not uncommon for page quality to change with same book.

On 9/22/2021 at 12:24 PM, lostboys said:

So the edges do not matter when assessing page color?

As much as the lower right edge of the front cover of that first copy, which appears in the lighting used to have a light yellowing line running along it.  In other words, if it's not on the interior pages of the comic, it's not seen when page quality is being assessed.  :wink:

Edited by namisgr

I don't think you can really make a determination about the page quality based on that photo.  I have noticed that some books (showcased in the "please grade my book" subforum) come back from CGS with "White" pages when the interior pages didn't look particularly "white" to me.  Which suggests there's somewhat of a range there.  

On 9/22/2021 at 1:11 PM, lostboys said:

Thanks for the input.

I'm trying to decide which to keep and which to sell off.

The darker edges are messing with my OCD.

😆

Please bear in mind page quality can differ even within the same book. For instance, the splash page can actually be a different shade than the centerfold. And pages can be uniform or show different degrees of age-toning. But if they both received a WHITE designation they should both be pretty darn nice. Without opening the slab and comparing the two books, it's tough to say for sure... 

Hi all, I have a question about a similar phenomenon, but different in that it's only ever the *top* edge of the inner pages that are tan/browning.

(Apologies if this is already answered somewhere)

This is due to the novice way the books were stored when I was young: they were bagged and stored vertical. But they were stored in a box with *no lid*. And these boxes were kept in my bedroom, which received plenty of sunlight, for a couple of years. Kind of like this photo demonstrates (except without so many backboards):

image.thumb.jpeg.5f0006cae2767f9e1c768c5e2ff28377.jpeg

Due to this, all the books in the box ended up having the top edge go tan color, but interior and bottom/side edges remained off-white/cream. These are late 80's Marvel & DC direct books. 

Is it clear/agreed how this "top-edge-tan" would affect the grade? If, for example, the book was otherwise near-flawless, could it ever be in the 9.0+ range?  Reading the grading scale page on this site, it says under "Light Tan to Off-White" that "A comic book cannot achieve a grade higher than 8.5 with this page quality." Overstreet also only permits tan color in the 8.0 range or lower ("Paper is tan to cream"). However, some of the comments above give me hope that perhaps it is not so severe a defect, and that books with this issue could still be graded 9.0 or higher?

I'm keen to understand this better because it impacts a large proportion of my collection (including ASM 300 sadly) and frustrates my attempts at grading. I am also finding some books I purchased on Ebay, that were listed as 'NM' or 'Excellent' condition, also suffer from this problem. And you never see a listing on Ebay that shows a photo of the top or bottom edge of the book, or any description of it.

Example (with Overstreet's OWL card):

Top edge: (5 = TAN)

image.thumb.jpeg.7dbf118b51f2355cb5046b3544e93fa8.jpeg

Bottom edge: (8 = OFF-WHITE)

image.thumb.jpeg.0cb53a1cfe8b6cb787fa3924aa6a8d39.jpeg

Interior: (I judge the interior pages to be off-white)

image.thumb.jpeg.08ef38fd79bf953e2dcdb5a724694c1c.jpeg

This book (extra points if can guess what comic this is) - has no other perceptible flaws. How do you think it would be graded by CGC, or according to Overstreet, hypothetically? (happy to post more photos).

Thanks and kind regards, Ollie

(Again if I've asked a common noob question, my apologies - please post me the link to the thread)

Edited by ohjaypee
clarification