• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

sick of seeing (trademark infringing) Peanuts cartoons on social media!
1 1

19 posts in this topic

I love Peanuts and the characters, that is why it irks me to no end to see Snoopy, Charlie Brown and other characters used for every religious, political, and social issue meme on social media.  I know the characters are not being used with permission from the Peanuts Worldwide LLC trademark owners.  Who keeps cranking out this nonsense?  Whether you agree with the message/meme or not - for the love of Pete don't share that!:pullhair:

* and please think before you reply on this thread, absolutely no political, religious, socially divisive posts per the rules of the forum*:flamed:

Edited by BanjerD

I am a big believer in property rights, but it is hard to get excited about non-commercial use of trademarked images where those images have already been exploited to the Nth degree by the owners themselves.  I mean, Peanuts merch must have generated billions in sales at this point.  The characters are like Santa Claus at this point . . .  embedded in cultural consciousness beyond the scope of their original use.  This sounds like when people complain about using the term "Band-Aid" for CVS or generic bandages.

Satire begats parody begats meme.

I think there's a general misunderstanding of copyright when it comes to use, fan use or fair use of copyright material. It used to irk me that McFarlane would not put out Spawn merchandise like T shirts. Eventually I went to a local artist and had him make me one. On the Usagi Yojimbo Facebook group I belong to, often ppl get gluteus ache over a Redbubble sticker or a Teepublic mask... I get it... but they often fail to differentiate between a copyright image vs parody vs fan art (which also is ubiquitous in artist alley at any convention).

And to a large extent copyright is only such if one acts (constantly) to protect it. Maybe I'm missing the point here? Maybe the OP is less about fair use and more about perceived / imposed values of Peanuts or Schulz vs how those perceived / imposed values now align to current internet misuse. 

c547b00c53a51f8c7f5e3fdf859e13cd.jpg.1884433f7379b0d7e4ac5c7587bbc0de.jpg